lionel messi "style" dribbling

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
amu86

first i use the messi dribbling style, when i first start the ball and not moving, i have a hard time getting the ball past the defenders. any tips

nick117
Veteran Member

there is a decent chance you just don't have the speed for it. messi can get by people using his agility and speed the close control helps but if you can't react fast enough it dosen't matter.

panchester07
Veteran Member

I would say that if you have the control, you could cut through people, maybe not completely get passed them, but have .5 seconds of advantage when he's diving towards the other way..

Practice juggling, if its to easy then do it each foot individually, say get 100 touches with your right, and then 100 with your left, without it dropping, you get the picture.. That will give you inmense controll..

Then take a cone, and practice the hip movement along with the foot movement and the cut.. Repeat over and over till you have the Messi cut down...

You can also improve your dribbling by taking laps around the field with the ball on your feet and do multiple dribbling drills that are all over this site..

I doubt that at your level you can't beat players without Messiesque speed..

The cut will give you time, and then just explode away .. Be careful not to overdue it, when Messi has to, he passes the ball, he dribbles often, but when the defenders just close up on him, he knows when to pass..

1) Juggle for control..
2) Take a cone, and simulate that Messi cut, over and over again..
3) Drills for dribbling to improve smoothness..
4) Don't overdue it..
5) Last, I would say observe an imitate, an image is better than 1000 words, so if you just copy Messi, and repeat, you'll get something similar to him with time and practice..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

amu86

thanks for the drills for control. i have pretty good control over the ball, but im wondering if i need to be super aggresive to get them to stab and i can go around them? i really dont think the control is the problem

panchester07
Veteran Member

No you don't have to be super agressive to show them the ball, Messi doesn't even do that in the games ... Just copy Messi... show them the ball a bit, and cut it the other way.. It aint hard at all, once you show them a bit of the ball they automaitcally "stab" and you have to cut it to the inside or the outside..

How much you show them the ball depends on you.. Analyze Messi, watch how much he does it, when he does it, it what position he does it.. Sometimes you don't even have to wait for them to "stab" you just keep pushing it to the outside and your defender is beaten...Its really hard for me to tell you how to dribble like Messi, with words, and in an cyber-web.. Watch him do it on youtube, and have a ball in your feet and practice it right there in your room a few times to make it interiorize... Watch him and you try an do the same is all I can say right now..

Are you left footed?

klc123
Veteran Member

Look up the videos on insidesoccer about how he dribbles, he explains himself.

Basically, run straight at the defender, ball under 110% control as fast as you possibly can while maintaining that control, when the defender stops backing off/commits to you, you feint in the opposite direction to which you are going by shifting your whole body in that direction and using good foot work before taking the ball off in the other direction.

Keeping cool and letting it flow naturally is key, and you should be watching the player your trying to beat to see when he is committed, you will never beat a defender if you sprint straight at him and cut the ball before he's even close to committing himself while you stare head down at the ball.

amu86

thanks for all the feedback, guys. its help me alot to figure out a few of the mistakes ive been doing.

edit: no im not left footed

klc123
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter if your not left footed, I dribble in the same manner as Messi and I am right footed.

panchester07
Veteran Member

I thought you dribbled like Cr9?

And yeah it doesn't matter at all, just for some reason "gambetta" dribbling style, has been characteristic of left footed players, but technically, anyplayer could use it..

Icy
Veteran Member

Klc, dribbles like whoever is considered the best at the time of posting. :wink:
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

human

I cant understand why is everybody after him!
He has always said that he is a mad cr9 fan, he uses stepovers and sometimes fancy footwork a.k.a CR9, but he has time and time again said that he sees BEST, MARADONA and MESSI as the best dribblers and their dribbling method (gambeta) is the most effective

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Icy wrote:Klc, dribbles like whoever is considered the best at the time of posting. :wink:

LMAO

Yea.. I tend to dribble around like Pele back when he played, all around people. not a big deal or anything. :lol:

mint
EF Drug Baron

Zlatan5 wrote:
Icy wrote:Klc, dribbles like whoever is considered the best at the time of posting. :wink:

LMAO

Yea.. I tend to dribble around like Pele back when he played, all around people. not a big deal or anything. :lol:
Ok guys just leave klc alone, no need for the sly comments.
i was made to ignite

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

mint wrote:
Ok guys just leave klc alone, no need for the sly comments.
Ease up ease up...klc's my boy man.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Yeah mint, ease up, why you gotta be so stressed always :lol: