Defending against the through ball in the air

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
SYBERIAN16
New User

Defending against the through ball in the air

Post by SYBERIAN16 »

Okay i play right back. What is the best way to defend against a through ball in the air and the forward gets the ball, i want to know whats the best thing to do to defend this.
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

Really, if the person playing the through-ball is smart, there's not much you can do but track back and hope someone has had the presence of mind to cover up for you. I would try to position my body so such a ball would be hard in the first place, or make it so he doesn't really want to pick that option. That being said, a perfectly placed ball just out of your reach, there is nothing you can do. Your best bet is to hassle the man with the ball, or drop back and mark. Very few players would be able to play an awesome through-ball like that while under physical pressure.

Also remember that the sideline is your friend, and always aim to keep your man between you and it.
SYBERIAN16
New User

Post by SYBERIAN16 »

I know what your talking about with getting into a better position, but our defense likes to push up to leave them offside. Sometimes this does not work so it becomes really hard to defend against a through ball in the air that is not off side.
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

Ohhh, I'm sorry, I was not clear on your situational context. In such a case, playing an offside trap is often a risky move. So, first and foremost, be damn sure you get it right. The best way to avoid mistakes like that is not to be caught out. You should always be watching the man with the ball and, if you know you are vulnerable to such a ball, be ready to run. That's the only advice I can give. Perhaps you have a keeper who's quick enough off his line to be first to the ball.
evo

Post by evo »

Since you are a full back I don't quite understand where you mean the through balls are going. It's usually the centre backs jobs to drop in when balls are played through the middle or over the full backs heads.
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

He's saying they all attempt to offside trap, and are beaten when clever through-balls are played over their heads into the laps of encroaching wingers.