Shoulder Tackles?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
BJ7
Sophomore Member

Alright, as far as tackling or charging into opposing players with the shoulders or body goes ( with the ball of course ), what is legal and not legal?

BJ

Won't back down

panchester07
Veteran Member

You can't run to him and charge him with your shoulders like if you where a buffalo..

If you have the ball, you can cover it up by kind of pushing the guy with your shoulders-arms.. Zlatan does this a lot...

If he has the ball, and he is shielding it, you can push him the same way with your shoulders....

Damn it I can't explain this sh*t... Seriously, you have to live it.. Go out there, play, do it wrong, get a yellow card.. Go out there again, do it right, do it right again, next thing you know you can do it perfectly..

Look at players, theres a thin line between foul and using your body to cover/steal the ball.. Its WAY to hard to describe online, atleast for me..

Look at the players on youtube, on games, do it yourself in games..

You'll have it down soon, its easy as hell...

A tip is to kind of go with the goal of winning the ball.. Not in tackling him down.. That mentality will help keep you foul-less..

Ask your coach, and practice it, repete it, you'll be all set.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

BJ7
Sophomore Member

The trouble is..I have done that sh*t in games, but this one lousy official got his rulebook from his ass.

I've never full on American-football-charged into a guy..but i have butted shoulders and use my body to push people off the ball..quite hard sometimes.

And I have gotten some yellows for it.

Won't back down

a_twig

I've had the same happen to me, BJ. If you are between the man and the ball (with your back towards the man), then you are fine as long as you don't block him from anything other than the ball. If you block him from going around you, it's obstruction and a foul. Just swivel your back towards the man who's going around you, as if the ball were a pivot. You cannot push into them, you can only use your body as an obstacle to the ball (and only the ball).
In terms of technique, you want to get your center of gravity low, so bend your knees. Dig your studs into the ground and get as much "purchase" as you can (i.e., get as stuck in the ground as you can). Try not to lean back into your opponent unless he's a lot stronger than you are. The more you lean back, the worse your balance is.
And whatever you do, keep the ball in your leg's reach!

Met

Firstl of all, it depends on th ref. Some rules are subjective, meaning it differs from ref to ref. Before the game I'd ask him about shoulder barges, if its a big part of your game.

Number 2, never shoulder tackle/barge to knock them over. You want them to lose balance but not to fall down. Becareful who you shoulder, though because they like falling down for any reason, buying a foul. You can only do it if its clearly your ball or 50/50. If its clear its his or he will pass you then its a foul because you are going for the man and not the ball.