"The very begining" Routine

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Gee
New User

"The very begining" Routine

Post by Gee » 13 Jan 2010, 20:48

Hi, I'm new to the soccer skill world, I always watched football, but never played it.

I tried joining a local team but as I am old enough (20y) and have no skill, they didn't accept me.

I tried playing as a midfielder-winger and I pretty much liked it.

I have been doing other sports (swimming, cycling, horse riding, martial arts) so I have no problem running 5-10km, but I need to improve my speed.

I would like to ask with what I should begin with?
There's so much information on this website that it's imposible to select. I need a simple routine up to an 1h, 3 times a week. I have a ball and boots (which I though never to get as royal mail lost 2 pairs of boots). I also have a football field next to me but now it's covered in snow and anything else besides crossing or shooting is next to impossible.

1. I need to improve my ball control - wall excersices right?
2. I need to learn where to position myself in a game, I watch matches alot and I do intercept the ball more easily now, I even play computer games (where you play for one player, not the whole team), but I still find myself odd in the field, except when running back to defence.

Thanks in advance.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Jan 2010, 21:13

Ok welcome to the forums my name is panchester :D..

To improve speed you can do plyometric exercises, and sprinting drills..
Here:http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/pl ... cises.html
And Here: http://www.expertfootball.com/training/sprint.php

This honestly isnt my department of expertise but it can help you out a bit..

--
To get control, juggle. Juggle patiently. First youll be able to do 3,4.. The next day youll be getting 7,8.. Then 15,19.. Etc.... You have to do it, and do it with faith that it will give you control, and that you will get better at it.. I would say this is all you need for control, but there are some people that insist on using wall drills.. So here are some: http://www.expertfootball.com/gossip/answer.php?qid=535...
The more you can juggle at first the better you can play, its an equation that never fails.. You can save up a few years of frustrating playing, by juggling half an hour a day...

Positioning, imo, comes natural, after playing a few games 11 v 11, getting scold at "Get in your fu**ing position :evil: ", youll learn where you have to stand.. If youre a winger youll have to be infront of your Right Defender, and diagonal to your center mids so they can make a good pass at you.. This is basic info, and like I said its much easier to play and learn, than to read something in the internet and then think in your mind in the middle of a game "he told me to stand here"..

A few other tips.. If you have a buddy, ask him to go out to the field and practice essentials like short distance passing, shooting etc thats good help..

Often I see begginers frustrated because when they pass them the ball, their first touch to receive it is 15 yards infront of them. To avoid this have the ball in your feet often throughout the day, and when you have access to a wall in training.. Pass the ball to the wall and receive it..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 13 Jan 2010, 22:19

The best advice I can give anyone is to watch as much football on youtube and on TV so your basically researching what players do off the ball and how they position themselfs.

Your a winger so look for players on youtube who are brilliant wingers and then study them so you know how they play, what to do and how you position yourself off the ball.

Then all it comes down to once you know what to do is to practice skills so you can do it.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 14 Jan 2010, 01:47

First of all, since you are new, I would recommend focusing more time on developing skills than the physical aspects such as speed, strength, and endurance. I recommend you watch games (on tv is fine, but in real life is better, if you have the option of watching a local team) to get a better idea of what exactly you need to be doing tactically. Second, I believe the most valuable things for beginner are wall work and juggling. These both help you get a "feel" for the ball, kicking it and controlling it from all different angles with all different parts of the foot.

Exactly how much time are you willing to devote and exactly what are you trying to accomplish (like what level of play do you wish to be at)?

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 14 Jan 2010, 02:47

*drums* ........

she has returned... Gee dont listen to anything else you have heard in your life.. Listen to her, she is better than Ronaldo + Kun Aguero + Macgyver COMBINED

Gee
New User

Post by Gee » 15 Jan 2010, 19:28

Ok I fail with juggling, 3-5 Rfoot, 1-2 Lfoot.
Although the funny part is when I was playing a game "who will juggle to 21 first" I could make up to 15-18 in one go :D

But it's because I feel pain in my big toe fingers. When I played on turf I played with normal trainers and other players steped on it and now one is blue the other is orange :D

Time 2-3 times a week up to 1h till september :)

My goal - is to score goals of course 8)
The other goal is to get accepted next year to any local team so I would be able to play 2-3 games a week and I think that would be a lot of fun :P

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 15 Jan 2010, 21:31

I agree with s4l, the beginning is getting good technique and becoming used to the ball. With the proper drills (like in the link below), you can build a proper foundation to build upon. Strength and physical attributes can come later.

I put together a GREAT guide for beginner-average players here:
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... 298#198298

be sure to check out page I link to, as they all are very important to development. Some of the drills continue to help you even at the advanced stage.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Gee
New User

Post by Gee » 16 Jan 2010, 15:05

pickyourheadup > thank you for the link, but just by reading I still don't know if I am doing the drills properly - is there any videos or images of proper technique ?

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 16 Jan 2010, 21:36

Here is a video showing tick-tocks, squirts, skating, and triangles. Sorry about the poor quality and the mistakes. The carpet makes the ball slippery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-UoqiZY4Q
(I'll also add this video to my guide)

I found some other videos covering a different set of drills. Also, look in the "More from:albulation" section of the page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OIxdem9 ... r2-2r-1-HM

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 16 Jan 2010, 22:40

very nice information pickyourheadup did you really just make the first video? Thats good!!

The second one is funny, but is probably just what Gee needs.. Good jon

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 16 Jan 2010, 23:32

panchester07 wrote:very nice information pickyourheadup did you really just make the first video? Thats good!!
Thanks, it was the first video I've ever made actually. I got tired of searching the web for videos of people doing these drills. I think I'm one of the few people who refer to the drills by those names :roll: