What are your unconquerable skills?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
N
New User

Hi all. Do you have any skills / moves which you use in games which work almost everytime? Do you have any skills which you use to maximise your chance of traversing a player / use as a "backup" move to fully ensure that you evade your man?

If you do, please state them, and explain why they work well for you. I'm going to try and give as detailed an explanation as possible for each skill, to try and help others doing well in games / allow them to incorporating it into their own play. So, my [almost] undefeatable moves:

If moving at high speed / in an open space:

1. Fake kick / Ronaldo Chop: standard, if I'm on a run and I'm at 80-100% pace, this has an almost full success rate. The only problem is that it's extremely difficult to get to this speed to begin with. In my experience the move is impregnable if the defender is moving with you in a direction, because his momentum makes it difficult for him to deal with the sharp change in direction; he can only destabilise it if he has some sort of superhuman manoeuvring ability.

2. Scotch move. I think that's what the move is called, but this is my favourite move when going quickly, because defenders aren't expecting it. Say I'm dribbling quickly with my right foot at the defender. The move goes like this: as I approach the defender, I backheel the ball with my right foot and sharply hit it with my left foot back towards the right. However, it only works if you've practiced doing this at full speed; I nearly lost my team a match doing this move at the half way line when the skill was not ripe - I lost possession but luckily they saved me the blushes and only hit the post :oops:

If stationary / in a tight space:

3. Stop-start / Roll? No idea what it's called but it's the first trick Ronaldo does in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoT-82BHiDE . This move works well when you're stifled and confined by defenders because they usually poke their feet out at the ball in such positions. If that's the case, roll the ball away from their poking foot and then hit it with either foot away from them; because they've already poked a foot out, it's difficult for them to tackle you again because they'd lose their balance. Its use is limited in open spaces, mainly because it's better to run into open space than into a defender, but if you can do this move effortlessly and cleanly at speed, it has the potential of looking orgasmic.

4 STAR TRICK. Gentle Chip: Best confined-move ever. I remember I always used to do various silky sh*t in training but in proper matches, I never had a good, reliable trick or move to get myself out of confined situations with 2 defenders surrounding me near the periphery. Then I tried this out: when confined, just lightly lift / chip / drag the ball over the defenders foot / in a certain direction. That's it. A good example of this is by Messi in the recent match against Atlante. Sounds simple, but the success rate of this trick is phenomenal. In training I even told my friend which way I was going to move [e.g. right], and I lifted it right, over his outstretched foot and it worked every time.

Defenders are more effective when they are close to you because it reduces the area over which you can move the ball. E.g. imagine trying to touch the ball into a goal from 18 yards; ridiculously easy right? Now try doing this with a defender standing just 30 cm away from you [without lifting it]; ridiculously hard feat. That's because the player is reducing the area over which you can move the ball; that's why it's so hard to move with a defender close to you. And that's where the trick comes in. The defender confining you may have restricted the movement of the ball on the pitch, but you can still use the oft neglected third dimension - the up down dimension. So maybe gambetta / feint one way, and then lightly chip / lift the ball the other way for a devastatingly successful trick.

Anyway, sorry if this was too long, thought I'd put a bit of effort into my first post. Good luck, please give insight into your unconquerable skills!
Last edited by N on 19 Dec 2009, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

klc123
Veteran Member

That move by ronaldo is called a V-puskas move I think Could just be called a pull back and go though.

Fake kicks, including Cruyff turn, Stepovers. Only moves I ever really do. Always beats defenders, the ammount of times ive gone on George Best runs and scored goals doing just them two is rediculous...

I sometimes do Ronaldo Chops.

Also one I like doing is a move ronaldinho does, When he is back to the defender, he turns and drags the ball with him so its stuck to his foot as he turns around and it makes the defender think he is going to pass it off but he drags it the whole way around and past the defender, that always works for me for some reason, defenders always get confused when you do it to them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sX5LvqMQ8 0:24 in that video is the move i was talking about, think its called a scoop turn.

adiman6

i do the tick toc alot and works, i just do alot of simple gambetta. great first post aswell. !
Shhh

scottS4
Veteran Member

i rarely do this but it usually works when i do try it (43 seconds in) its a slight variation but thats the closest thing ive seen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEF0WGaAcZQ

RisenFromDeath
Sophomore Member

I prefer the 360 turn as it can help anytime in the game. The best part about it is that even if u use the same trick but change the part of the feet with which u do it , it becomes a different move

footy_oaf

i love the 360 cuz its soo versatile. for example if you di ut and the defender anticipates it you can easily just sheild the ball, as you are left in the ideal position. also, if its far away from you you can pull it back out of harms way, and at the same time beat the defender

nd it looks cool

Jack-of-all-trades

I play Futsal a lot so quick cuts alone can usually leave defenders off-balanced. Regarding tricks. I think some of my unbeatable (or hard to beat) ones are;

1.) Cryuff Turn - Simple, beautiful, works like magic. Times when defenders are running alongside me, I'll just drag the ball backward behind my standing leg, sometimes after faking a shot, and this would immediately create some valuable space for me.

2.) Nutmeg - Certainly a classic. Defenders are always left flatfooted when I put the ball through their legs. The best thing is it can be chained with other moves as well. There is once when I approached a defender, did a few stepovers, and as his legs has opened up, I gently tapped the ball through the opening. Sick, to say the least.

3.) Ronaldo chop - sometimes when defenders are running alongside me, I'll deliberately slow down a little bit and let his momentum takes him past me a couple of inches, then cut the ball behind my standing leg 90 degrees to the side. Works very well too.

4.) Rainbow - certain one of the most famous football trick, though I rarely use this, even during pick-up games. Just clip the ball between your legs, roll the ball up with one leg up the heel of your standing leg, and flick it behind your back, over you and the defender with your standing leg. I must admit though, that this move packs a big surprise factor. Defenders usually don't expect this. The last time I ever did a Rainbow move was a few weeks ago, and this actually stunned the defender, leaving him flatfooted.

3.) Combos of Stepovers and Scissors - Somehow, football players nowadays don't seem to bite a lot into these moves. But sometimes, I still use them nevertheless. Defenders obviously will not be totally faked out of place, but these moves will keep them guessing which way you are going, making them hessitate, sometimes even open up their legs for a good old nutmeg. Well, I don't do them lighting fast like C. Ronaldo. I just make them look natural; Not too slow nor too fast. Another thing is I usually just do 2-4 of them at most; Too much and somehow, defenders won't be bothered at all.

4.) Fake kicks - Simply lift your leg as if to strike the ball, then cut the ball into another direction. Simple yet effective, especially in Futsal in which defenders used to charging at you, supposedly to deny you space and time on the ball. Once there was a defender charging at me head on. I just did a fake kick and he jumped to block it, and I just gently cut the ball to the left and took a shot on goal while he leaped into empty space behind me. I didn't score though.

5.) Double cut - Some called this 'Don Andres.' Andres Iniesta used this move several times in La Liga and it is an effective move that'll beat any defender be it in football or Futsal, especially if they are charging at you. Just cut the ball diagonally to one side past the defender with one foot and hit it straight forward into space with the other foot. Other variations included dragging the ball with the sole instead of cutting it with the inside of the foot.

6.) Pull-L move - Just drag the ball behind your standing leg and push it 90 degrees to one side behind your standing leg eg: drag the ball with right foot and push it to the left behind the left leg. Cristiano Ronaldo has used this in several occasions, including in a UEFA Champions League game against Barcelona. Very effective if defenders are charging at you from the side. Also useful as a pass to an overlapping teammate.

7.) Chip - As you cut the ball past the defender, just give it a little chip so that it will rise over the defender's tackling foot. Simple yet effective.

8.) Tunnelling - Push the ball on one side of the defender and run to collect it on the other side. Effective if executed while dribbling to a defender at pace. Usually done in football but this move is also possible in Futsal if there are adequate spaces down the flanks. In fact, I tried it several times.

9.) 360 turn - Zidane's masterclass. Effective in both football and Futsal. I usually do it when running at defenders. Do it fast enough and it'll leave them flatfooted for a few seconds while you burst past them with ease.

10.) Stop and go - Simple move. As you are dribbling with defender running alongside you, just stop the ball with your sole, and decide your next move, while the defender's momentum took him past you. Sometimes, I'd stop the ball, then quickly cut it back into the same direction again, leaving defenders off-balanced because of their momentum.
Joga Bonito is the way I play.

mint
EF Drug Baron

All of thjem moves you listed are effective, i personally like the cruyff turn and the pull L move, those are two of my faves.
i was made to ignite

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Personally I think in tight situations the best move is the simplest: a very sharp and clean footroll across the body. I've dodged 2+ incoming defenders by footrolling my way around them, and I'm not well known for my dribbling :P

and N, how do you use the scotch when your dribbling? I only use the scotch to make a classy pass when the ball is stationary and the defender is jockeying well.

mint
EF Drug Baron

I do like a scotch spin, cant really explain, looks awesome but would be useless in a real game.

Maybe not would confuse the hell out of a defender, hmmmm ill try it at pick up on monday
i was made to ignite

amu86

i love using the scissors on the wing, it almost never fails(not so much against older dudes)

micha
New User

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Personally I think in tight situations the best move is the simplest: a very sharp and clean footroll across the body. I've dodged 2+ incoming defenders by footrolling my way around them, and I'm not well known for my dribbling :P

and N, how do you use the scotch when your dribbling? I only use the scotch to make a classy pass when the ball is stationary and the defender is jockeying well.
Completely agree with you on the first point. One of the simplest moves with high efficiency. Blocks out the defender(s) with your body.

About the scotch; I've done it a few times - changing the angle you're running at and wrong foot the defender. Or do another scotch on the other side, and blow past the poor bastard. ( not that i nurse any illusions of my dribbling ability ) I think i've seen C.Ronaldo use it a couple of times.

Then there are the times when i got it wrong ( thankfully, these were mostly in training ), and i just slowed up, lost the ball and blushed like hell. :oops:

D10

Elastico(Flip-Flap or AKKA)

Works for me everytime, why? Your body moves as well as the ball.

Pichichi

coming from the back if you open your body to the right you act like you pass it to the right but drag it left and accelerate. Works every time in a game and it's so unbelievably simple

D10

Pichichi wrote:coming from the back if you open your body to the right you act like you pass it to the right but drag it left and accelerate. Works every time in a game and it's so unbelievably simple
Yeah, this is a good one, it's more about body movment and over emphasising the pass/shot, then at the last second taking the ball away.