Dribbling Situation

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
hieilukezz
New User

Hye,
I'm sorry mods, if this kind of topics has already been posted.
This is about dribbling situation. I need a effective moves or moves that you usually use to get past the defender in this 5 situations.
If you could help me, this could make me a better dribbler because we know what moves for what situation. Not only me, maybe anyone.
Explain me how if you can. Thank you very much.

Orange dots : Dribbler
Black dots : Defender
Blue arrow : Dribbler moves/ direction to go
Yellow arrow: Where the dribbler facing

SITUATION 1:
-Defender is in front of me and I want to go whether to his left or right.
-What dribbling moves should I use to go to his left or right effectively?
-List me the moves. How to do the moves or give me the tutorial.

SITUATION 2:
-Defender is next to me and I want to go outside or inside of him.
-What dribbling moves works best in this situation?
-List me the moves. How to do the moves or give me the tutorial.

SITUATION 3:
-Defender is at my back and I want to turn and move past him.
-What moves?
-List it and tell me how to do it or give the tutorial.

SITUATION 4:
-Two defender is next to me. One is next to me, One is next to me but a bit further away from me and I want to go through them like Messi.
-What skills does messi use.
-How to go through them?

Here are the pictures of the situation so you can understand.

THANK YOU![/img]

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

It all comes down to experience. Often players use simple upper body faints instead of specific moves.

Here is a very great list with video examples by Expert:
http://www.expertfootball.com/training/dribbling.php

Also, here is a GREAT video on the Zidane Spin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEDLuEtoiI

Here is the Mathews move at 1:47 - 1:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54HRpvcRn0w&NR=1

1 : Do nearly any forward moving move. Example: step overs (when you are dribbling at him with speed), Zidane spin (with speed), Matthews move.
Another move is knocking the ball across with the inside of your foot to the other inside of your opposite foot (the "Tick-Tock" move)..imagine the ball is on a string to your other foot. Yes, it is moving laterally, but you could use this space for a wall pass to a teammate.

2 : Great time to do a Zidane spin or a Mathews moves to either the inside for a cross/pass or the outside for a cross.

3 : You can do the same moves you would do in situation 1. However, I've seen most professional players do the Matthews or a step over move here.
--Try a Zico step over if you end up dribbling toward you goal. You can see the Zico move near the beginning of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VA2Oh4_Ek. The best situation for this move is when the defender thinks he has you trapped on the line. Doing the step over towards the middle opens up the sideline for you.

4 : Here I would actually advise passing it off, as one of your teammates has to be open. However, if you have to split the defenders this way, move towards the defender on your right, then cut back right between them.

**It is important that you understand that these are just examples of what you could do. There are many more moves (as you can see from that page I linked you to at the top of the post). You could also begin to develop your own dribbling style/moves.
**Also, most of this comes from prior experience. Once you get into these situations enough, you will develop a sense of when to use a certain move depending on:
--teammate positioning
--your positioning
--defender's stance, body posture, etc
--field condition
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

shahensha
Veteran Member

I cant see the pictures but feints and steps are key in all those situations, simply because they are excellent in their subtlety and ability to fool a defender. If you have a good touch and the agility to accelerate out of the situation then it will be all the more difficult for defenders to stop you after you have left them flat footed.

Expert's dribbling video was great help in significantly improving my dribbling. It was the two moves "outside cut and control with the inside of same foot" and "inside cut and control with the inside of the opposite foot". Practice those drills to get good control of the ball and then sandwich that good touch in between a feint and burst of speed when facing defenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRdkNfUGpc

Check out 4:50 - 5:10. Its perfect to describe how to get out of situation 1.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

Same situation, second approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FckvDOc3 ... L&index=18

Another video to help you visualize how to go about splitting in between defenders for situation 4.

klc123
Veteran Member

Im actually pleased you went to the effort to come up with actual situations and ask questions instead of just saying "TeLl mE hOw 2 DrIbBlE PL0x"

The realistic answer is just, you learn what to do naturally, its very difficult topic to explain, but ive been dribbling for a long time and id say im quite good at it, its like you learn how to read the defenders and when you can and cant beat them and what move will beat them and wether they will be able to tackle you if you do something in a certain way.

Its 100% experience, and its very difficult to explain, the best advice i can giev is watch videos of brilliant dribblers as much as possible on youtube and when your actually dribbling, have the ball under 100% control stuck to your foot and make sure you keep watching your opponent and try and read him, if you keep watching him and looking at him then you will know when hes coming in for the tackle and you will know when you have an opportunity to beat him.

Good luck, and get out there practising.

hieilukezz
New User

Thank you for replying.

@pickyourheadup

Thanks for explaining.
Now I know how to past the defender in situation 1.
Situation 2, if I do the Zidane spin, the defender is next to me, should I do it in front of him or at his back?
In situation 3, the defender is at my back, and I'm facing the other way and I want to turn so I can go to situation 1. Any suggestions of effective moves for this?
Situation 4, so I have to stop the second defender and make the first defender keep moving forward to create space, then go past them right?

@shahensha

I'm sorry for the pictures, I don't know how to show the pictures here.
I know that Expert Football got some great videos of dribbling, I will practice it! :)
Thanks for the video. The messi vs scholes, I want to know the name of the skill that Messi does in the video. The video cant explain me enough. I need a step by step. If you can, thanks. Other video is great.

@klc123

Thanks.. I know it will come with experiences, but every time I want to past the defender, I don't have the confidence and I don't have skills to make the defender fooled. So, until now I play simple football. When the defender is in front of me, I just pass it to my teammate, I never tried to get past him and now I want to change that. I want to be a decent dribbler but I don't have the confidence to do that. I practice dribbling with imaginary defender (practicing myself at home) but when it comes to real defender I cant do it.
I watched a lot of Messi dribbling. He's really great. I want to be like him.
Anyway, thank you :)

For you guys, thank you for helping me.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

2-
If you watch the Zidane video I linked to, it should help. Generally, the Zidane spin move works when you're dribbling or going to the ball and both of you think you can get the ball before the other.
However, you know that you're going to get there first and thats when you do the move.

3-
There isn't a "move" for what you're asking. Simply turn with the ball and face him. You could try a small pull back while simultaneously turning toward him.

Another way could be to dribbling to the goal line (fake the cross) and cut back with the outside of your left/ inside of your right. This opens up a cross with your left foot.

However, if you're "stuck" you should have teammates open with a pass backwards.

**Remember that this all comes from experience, as the other posters have also said. The examples I've used is what I've done in the past, but you will eventually come up with what works best for your style. :)

4-
What do you mean by "stop the second defender? Yes, you are right that you want the other defender to follow you as you come forward, which should create some space.
Chances are the defenders will come at you to trap you from going forward up the line and towards the middle of the field, however. Then, the only real option would be a pass/dribble backwards.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

shahensha
Veteran Member

Notice how in the second video, Messi is slowly dribbling towards scholes. He takes small touches with each step, not only to ensure control but also to keep scholes on his toes and constantly thinking. When he is close enough he takes a fake step to the left, which catches scholes off-guard and then pulls off the move.

The movement of your legs has to be fluid. This means that without the ball, it should seem like a dance step. One way to practice that is putting down a marker. Stand in the cronaldo free-kick stance without the ball and with your right foot over the marker. Then shift the left foot to the marker, subsequently followed by the right foot moving in the same direction to maintain the cronaldo free-kick stance. Important things to note here is that its not clunky but one fluid motion and more importantly, slide your feet. Its not a 1-2 step.

With the ball it requires two steps and its a bit trickier to master than the outside cut.

step 1: drag the ball with the inside curve of the foot. (The part right next to the instep). Dont gently strike the ball. Dragging it has better results.

The next step depends on the situation. Dribbling away from the defender, or control for a pass.

Step 2 (i): Dribbling away: Position your receiving foot at an angle between 30-45 degrees to your outside. The dragged ball will hit off the receiving foot and bounce forward, which is when you burst off.

Step 2 (ii) Control for a pass: Raise your receiving leg in a way that the sole of the foot is at an angle. Its hard to describe but imagine you are standing side by side to a midget and with your general disgust for midgets, you stomp his leg under the knee without changing your body positioning but just by moving your leg.

I dont know the name of this move but I like to call it The Don Andres because Iniesta uses it to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_Rhb3bXR4

another example. Here i am trying to focus on the feint messi uses to throw the defender off. He doesnt do the move but just simply drag it to the side. However its to show that feints (when done correctly) allow you to get away with the simplest of moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rkzc_vevcE

klc123
Veteran Member

Some really good replies here.

The best piece of advice I can give you for dribbling is that, you don't need to do very complex moves and tricks to beat a player. Yes it looks absolutely amazing when you pull off a hocus pocus and go inbetween two completely clueless defenders, but that is very difficult to pull off and alot of the time doesn't work on the defender so its not practical...I never do tricks like that in games as they just have no efficiency.

Instead, keep it really basic using simple moves but practice them so much that they are very effective. Thats the key word, an effective fake kick or stepover will be 100 times better than a flip flap that only works 10% of the time.

When I dribble, the only tricks I use are the fake kick and the stepover. I sometimes do some footwork stuff like C Ronaldo to try and tempt the defender into a tackle (and its really fun to do lol) but when im actually going past players I rarely do anything besides fake kicks and stepovers. I practice them none stop so that I can do them effortlessly and very quickly so that I don't have to think too much about doing them in the game, that allows me to concentrate more on what the defender is doing and how I can beat him.

If I was going to beat a defender directly ahead of me, and I wanted to go to the right of him, I would run towards him directly with the ball, at a slower pace and keeping the ball glued to my foot like stated above in previous posts. I would either point my hips in the direction im not going to go in to trick him, or straight at him, both are as effective as eachother, just don't point your hips in the direction you are going to go as this gives you away. Then when im close enough to him, the should stop backing off and stand his ground, as soon as he stops backing off he has beaten himself as now all I technically have to do is to burst past him with a change in speed and he will have no chance, like Maradona always used to do to defenders, no tricks, just change of pace, but normally I do a fake kick as well to make sure that he is really beaten and have no chance. I would take a step with my left foot towards the left, and pull my right leg back as if I was going to do a kick past him towards the left, I would also lean my whole body in that direction.

Then all I have to do is cut the ball in the other direction and speed past him, he is completely beaten and im past him very easily, thats all I do in my dribbling really, the occasional stepover instead of fake kick, but thats all there is too it, you just need to really get your whole body involved in the dribbling, using your arms and upper body to trick him and really sell the fake kicks/stepovers and he will have no chance.

It really really helps if your not flat footed as well, as you need good footwork to beat players effectively.

hieilukezz
New User

What is the meaning of flat-footed? Can you explain a bit..

shahensha
Veteran Member

He means stay on your toes so you are ready to change pace and direction when dribbling.

klc123
Veteran Member

Flat footed is when you cannot run/sprint/stand on the balls of your foot, so your heel is on the floor. Having your heel on the floor slows you down and decreases your ability to do quick footwork.

human

but KLC if u use messi's approach i.e running straight at a defender and to make your move when he has stopped backing off, but that works best if u make the defender tackle u chest-on, and if he decides to stay side-on he is forcing u to choose the other way and the biggest mistake that u can make is if u slow your speed down to make him more comfortable. Whats your say?

klc123
Veteran Member

How do you mean chest on?

If a defender is by my side i just cut across him with pace, exact same approach i slow down, turn towards him and point my hips at him do a fake kick and then im past him.

EDIT:

If im facing a defender chest on, i would straight at him, point my hips directly at him, and keep the ball glued to my foot as i run towards him. Then when he stops backing off, i would do a fake kick and knock it past him, and then im gone with a burst of acceleration. The burst of speed is very important in beating defenders.

Its not always that simple though, you know how like Messi does loads of fake kicks in different directions and feints in different directions when trying to beat a defender, thats basicly what i do and when i see an opportunity to beat the defender i take it. Its impossible to explain, so just watch videos of messi instead.