More goals!

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Alexio1092
Veteran Member

More goals!

Post by Alexio1092 » 02 Nov 2009, 03:46

Hey all - when it comes to providing for my football I'm more than happy to as a Utility player and an all-round nice guy/midfielder. My main issue is, however, actually scoring goals from open play.

I put away a FK this season off the crossbar and slotted a PK (Missed one in Semi-Finals though, hit the post and the keeper!), ultimately finishing 2nd, 6 points behind 1st on the table. I only scored twice the season before (1 from a PK again), and once before that.

My overall question is based around simply scoring more goals, is it down to positioning and making breaks from the Midfield? Or should I be content with providing enough assists that we cruise through on the goals stemming from the creation of opportunity?

It may sound silly posting this, but it's been one aspect of my game that I've consistently striven to work on, and whether it's down to looking up at the goal and having a ping more often, or generally working harder. I'm more than happy to work at this as much as it needs, I love providing for the team and getting everyone involved. :)
Last edited by Alexio1092 on 02 Nov 2009, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 02 Nov 2009, 10:17

# Club P W D L F A D GA GR Pt
1 Maitland 14 12 1 1 54 16 38 3.86 3.38 37
2 HV Grammar 14 10 1 3 43 19 24 3.07 2.26 31
What does that mean?

There isn't anything wrong with being the "playmaker" on your team.Look at how Zidane helped his teams.
Then again, you should also try to be both a playmaker and an attacking player so that you will be twice as effective.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

davidtmarquez
Sophomore Member

Post by davidtmarquez » 02 Nov 2009, 10:27

Played Matches / Wins / Draws / Losses / Goals Found / Goals Allowed / Goal Difference / Goal Average(?) / (?) / Points

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 02 Nov 2009, 11:19

I'm not sure why we need the chart, but I organized it for you so that others can read it a bit more easily :wink:
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 02 Nov 2009, 12:07

Haha thanks mate - it was haphazardly thrown together to indicate our GD, should've mentioned that. I had about 15 assists from memory (squaring across face of goal, FK's, through-balls etc) and 2 goals for the season out of our 43 goals for. Oddly enough the chart looked fine in the editing box. :P

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 12 Nov 2009, 12:16

Any tips or pointers guys and girls?

Is it a psychological, physical, positional sense to adhere to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm happy enough setting team-mates up but I'd love to add more goals to my game especially as we're into the futsal season now. :)

Footer
New User

Post by Footer » 12 Nov 2009, 13:30

As a center midfielder you should get the opportunities to score yourself. Positioning yourself in a good shooting position in front of the goal is important, but you shouldn't wait for the perfect opportunity. Take your chance when you're anywhere near the goal.

Sometimes you just need to be selfish, so in that case it's a psychological thing. Okay it's nice to give that killer pass, that pass to the teammate in a good position, but if you're in front of the box, just go for it yourself. Don't go looking for a teammate who is in a better position. It shouldn't even be looked at as being selfish. If you're in a position near the goal just shoot, take your shot. The more you'll shoot, the more you'll score. If you hit it badly, so be it, try again next time. Maybe it can happen your teammate gets angry because he was in a better position, but that shouldn't bother you. If you're in a good position yourself why wouldn't you?

You can however practice a couple of things. Try to control the ball in such a way that you can instantly shoot it at the goal. So in two touches be able to shoot the ball in a directed and powerful way. If your ball control is off, you'll give the defender time to block your shot. Anticipate on your teammates movements when they make an action before the goal so you can position yourself available and with a good scoring opportunity. Also don't overrush things, try to remain composure.

I think you're in the best position to evaluate where your problem lies in terms of being able to score goals. Do you get in shooting positions often? If so, than your positioning is fine, if not, then that is something you should work on. Do you try to score, but your shots get blocked a lot? If so, then maybe your movement off the ball maybe isn't good enough, making it easier on the defender, or maybe your ball control is off...

This is what I can come up with for now. Good luck!

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 12 Nov 2009, 13:47

Definitely need to work on the touch (that two-touch set-up should do well!) to set myself up quickly to shoot. I tend to control but too often the ball will only be suited in front of me for a lay-off (closer to my feet) instead of a shot (lined up). It's in these cases I'm in front of goal but I don't take my opportunities quickly enough or set it up well enough and the defender usually gets a foot to the shot etc. Thanks so much for your response, after Schoolies (party time post-graduation!) I'll get right on to this. I'll let you know how it turns out (shooting and scoring, that is. ;))

oscarjackson

Post by oscarjackson » 13 Dec 2009, 00:35

im an aussie too =P
anyway it seems you just need to take your chances more often, its probably a mental thing, and instead of thinking "pass" when you get the ball, sometimes think of "shoot"

it seems ur a good passer of the ball so maybe get onto the end of a good one-two movement and get urself and easy tap in.

talk to your team mates or even just one of them and let them know u want to score more goals and also to score goals you need to spend alot of time near goal, so get there as quickly as possible and stay for as long as you can

i used to have the same problem, my coach helped me by always telling me "..and the keeper is a fuking muppet" and it worked for me

hope that helped..

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 13 Dec 2009, 21:29

100% decision making. Depending on your level of football, im assuming its sunday league. If your sundayleague its 100% decision making, then as you get further up the footballing ladder more and more comes down to technique and physique. Decision making is always the most important though, and its also one of the hardest things, you need to learn to read the game.