speedy vs big?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
williampro

today, i notice that this big guy was literally bigger than me and i kno im faster than him because i raced him and any others who plays soccer with me but today when i poke the ball out wide to beat him he use he's large body to overthrow me..... despite how fast i am i realized that big body can play lot of advantages........ what do u guys think?

2brown347
Veteran Member

williampro wrote:today, i notice that this big guy was literally bigger than me and i kno im faster than him because i raced him and any others who plays soccer with me but today when i poke the ball out wide to beat him he use he's large body to overthrow me..... despite how fast i am i realized that big body can play lot of advantages........ what do u guys think?
Theres advantages and disadvantages to both. With height comes a bigger stride so even though a lot of smaller players are "quicker" when it comes to a longer distance someone with height and knows how to use their stride can often win.

Basically being big gives you an advantage in most sports, from basketball to soccer to football, theres a reason a lot of athletes are taller. That being said small guys who learn their strengths can often have an advantage because their different.

Xander427
Sophomore Member

This is a good lesson to you, and will help you in the future. Now that you realized that, next time you should dribble your defender, I remember ibrahimovic, although not small, once said, " you have the advantage, if you hve the ball". I'm a small guy too, but I learned that when we smaller people have the ball, and can dribble, your defender will eventually "bite" and or foul you. Think of Aaron Lennon and lionel messi. If you have good upper body strength,like maradona, you shouldn't get pushed off easily. If you don't, well we all could improve in something, and maybe focus on building muscle, it definitely helped me. :)

panchester07
Veteran Member

williampro wrote:today, i notice that this big guy was literally bigger than me and i kno im faster than him because i raced him and any others who plays soccer with me but today when i poke the ball out wide to beat him he use he's large body to overthrow me..... despite how fast i am i realized that big body can play lot of advantages........ what do u guys think?
Eventually speed beats size. You have to keep the ball close to your feet as close as possible, and push it into space and away from him not towards him and you will have the upper hand in the 1 on 1. You probably tried to do an auto-pass, and pussh it into space towards him, where he obviously cover it with his body. I love playing against bigger guys cause i have good footwork and they tend to be a little clumsier than me. Try to do a lot of cuts and feints when you play against these big guys, they will eventually loose balance and since your quick you can accelerate the opposite direction. Whereas a normal size defender maybe wont win as much headers but has lower center of gravity and can stand on their feet more, and are quicker, harder to driblle past
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

opert56
New User

same goes for me, im really quick and have great upper strength..... but dont let one thing like that let u down........ just think of that as a lesson.....

footy_oaf

well i play my best in the park, so there are like walls on the side of the court. also i play vs lots of chavs with facial hair lol, who are infinetely stronger than me, but im faster usually. the worst thing is when youre used to weaker people you just beat them and run straight past them, but with these chavs, you literally have to run in a large circle around them, lol, and when its down the wing they just get infront of you and you cant do anything, or they will smack you against the wall, so you eventually get scared of beating some of the bigger ones lol.

my advice, if you come up against one of thee mammoth chavish guys during a match just pass it lol

klc123
Veteran Member

The worlds fastest sprinters are all over 6 foot tall really. Also, taller people are generally a lot stronger because if your taller your muscles are more developed for your bigger frame. There isn't much you can do about it, just work on your strength, because although normally big people are stronger they are normally clumsier with their feet, with obvious exceptions.

C ronaldo is 6 foot tall but he has the best foot work in the history of football in my opinion, when you see how quickly he can do tricks...

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

I think a better question would be: what if you weren't either speedy or big? What could you do with the ball then? If you tried to be technical, you'd get a big body coming at you, but if you tried to race by someone they'd just jockey and follow you until they force you to make a mistake or you have to pass it off. I'm more interested in these kinda players (like Zidane) who didn't depend on pace or strength on/off the ball because I'm the similar kind of player.