Passing, vision, and speed of play like Xavi Hernandez.

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
dream_on_go_pro

It is almost unarguable that Xavi Hernandez is one of the best passers ever and it seems very hard to practice finding some of the ridiculous passes he makes. I was wondering if you had any way to practice field vision and to make precise passes, both aerially and grounded, like him besides just game experience. Also, is part of his passing due to his extreme comfortability on the ball, giving him time to take long looks without getting the ball taken? Lastly, i was wondering if i do get to play like Xavi will it be hard to play like this once i move into a higher level of soccer, such as college and better areas of soccer.

sir_alex_vu

I'd say just play as much as you can (with other people of course). Doing this allows you greater opportunities to make mistakes, which will force you to learn and gain greater experience so that you don't make the same mistakes in a match.

In all honesty, and with much due respect, I don't think that the passes that Xavi makes are ridiculously incredible. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are great passes; he's able to create countless goal-scoring opportunities with his passes. But, all of those passes are so simple; anybody can see them, and most footballers should be able to make them. But that's what separates Xavi from the rest; he keeps it simple. He can spot the openings, but I think it's more his tactical ability than his technique.

One thing I do that helps (yes, it doesn't sound great), is play FIFA 10 :D (I would say FIFA 09, but since FIFA 10 comes out tomorrow...). I play it on the highest level of difficulty. It helps you see the openings in the defense. I don't know. It helped me, in a way.

Plus, I play the same way. I am a centre-midfielder and I'm covering that middle, all around. Everytime I have that ball, I am automatically looking for that defence-splitting pass, BUT, none of my strikers are making that run, so I just dish it out wide. It's very difficult to make those passes without you and your teammates being on the same page. Also, you should be playing THREE steps ahead of the game, y'know what I mean (sorry, don't really know how to explain it)

Xander427
Sophomore Member

The reason xavi is one of the best passers of the game is because it's almost like it's his "mission", if you wanna call it that, very similar to the way messi's "mission" is to get past you at any cost. Another aspect of his game is that he uses his brain a lot, he analyzes his options and has different combinations before he even gets the ball.Thats why he's he playmaker, he gets into positions which allow him the space he needs to create. If you notice, xavi always jogs around the pitch looking or the ball, so that he never has pressure on him, which is more or less likely why he will never lose posession. I'm guessin you live in the us right?? If you ever end up playing like xavi, which is possible with belief in yourself, then make sure your coach understands you. Here in the US, coaches tend to try to change your identity as a footballer to play like something you're not, so that the team doesn't "suffer".I don't really understand it, but that's a whole different discussion. Good luck!!

dream_on_go_pro

Yes I understand what you mean sir_alex know what you are going to do with the ball before you get it. And think two steps ahead of that. Would he generally try to get in position for a drop or square pass rather than making pentrating or oter types of runs?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

sir_alex_vu wrote:I'd say just play as much as you can (with other people of course). Doing this allows you greater opportunities to make mistakes, which will force you to learn and gain greater experience so that you don't make the same mistakes in a match.
What a great piece of advice in particular that is. Too many players rest on their laurels because they are afraid of making mistakes, but you see the increased likelihood of making them as an opportunity. This is good. Making mistakes may not be the only way to learn, but it sure is the fastest. :p

Rummandinho

One thing I do that helps (yes, it doesn't sound great), is play FIFA 10 (I would say FIFA 09, but since FIFA 10 comes out tomorrow...). I play it on the highest level of difficulty. It helps you see the openings in the defense. I don't know. It helped me, in a way.
Trust me, it helps loads :|
I used to play as a Right-Back and after spending time with FIFA in my 9 month long injury(No, I wasnt pregnant) I got back and found myself playing FIFA on the pitch... Im a Central Mid now xD

Yeah I like to keep my game simple. Short passes, touch dribbles. I dont see the point of a 360 when you can knock it past the fender.

:/

Good topic tho...

Met

Hehe you guys play at the hardest setting but I get frustrated with the normal setting. What should I do when I get really annoyed? I played Pes 09 but I might try get Fifa 10 now.

I don't know bout you guys but I always feel like my team can always get in a much better scoring position if they passed it to me. Of course 2 out of 10 times, they prove me wrong.

A problem I was wondering about... How abouts do you manage to get yourself to play centre mid? I mean I'm going to make a lot of mistakes, none more than what our current mids are, which I don't mind. The problem is convincing the coach to give you more time to 'settle' in?

Also, have you guys any idea how to improve reading the game? I know where the ball is going but I'm getting the timing horribly wrong. E.g. I know two players like passing to each other but if I go early someone might get behind me, if I go too late, the player would have recieved the ball and about to take me on, usually unsuccessfully :D

Cheers,
Met

nick117
Veteran Member

met what the hell are you talking about you went off about fifa 10 and pes and then something about game situations.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Met wrote:Hehe you guys play at the hardest setting but I get frustrated with the normal setting. What should I do when I get really annoyed? I played Pes 09 but I might try get Fifa 10 now.

I don't know bout you guys but I always feel like my team can always get in a much better scoring position if they passed it to me. Of course 2 out of 10 times, they prove me wrong.

A problem I was wondering about... How abouts do you manage to get yourself to play centre mid? I mean I'm going to make a lot of mistakes, none more than what our current mids are, which I don't mind. The problem is convincing the coach to give you more time to 'settle' in?

Also, have you guys any idea how to improve reading the game? I know where the ball is going but I'm getting the timing horribly wrong. E.g. I know two players like passing to each other but if I go early someone might get behind me, if I go too late, the player would have recieved the ball and about to take me on, usually unsuccessfully :D

Cheers,
Met
Hahahahahaha my comp 1 teacher would go ape sh*t if she read this.
Made by 2Brown.

Rummandinho

Met wrote:Hehe you guys play at the hardest setting but I get frustrated with the normal setting. What should I do when I get really annoyed? I played Pes 09 but I might try get Fifa 10 now.

Cheers,
Met
You gotta read the game. Dont run yourself out the first 10 minutes. Roam around the CM position and see where you're comfortable. Another thing is, maybe your team chemistry is bad, thus the timing is failing. When two players make passes at each other, I usually complete the triangle....
Since I play as a CM, I stay around the Central role. Much like Scholes, I tackle when I feel like it(Honestly, I dont tackle as bad :|) Im a second option CDM/CAM.

dream_on_go_pro

Would it be best for me to get in position for a drop in the triangle or continue to make constant off ball runs? I know I have to read the defence but my team is making me mad because they don't like to play backpasses even when if they pass it back i can thread a ball through for a goal or switch it easily. Help is appreciated mainly on the off ball runs a great passer must make. Thanks guys!

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Talk to your teammates about their poor decision making. If they are competent, they should be able to correct their mistakes. If you still arent receiving the ball on your off the ball runs, then:

Yes you should drop back and give them an option. That way, you will receive the ball and be able to control the game with the other players who make runs off the ball.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

shahensha
Veteran Member

i know how you feel. When players take on defenders and get crowded they try to overdo things, without realizing a simple back-pass will not only keep possession but also create alot of space, since their dribbling pulls defenders out of position.

for a central midfielder, without team chemistry and understanding, vision is a curse. you always see openings created by your teammate's dribbles but your teammates not only ignore you being in open space but also one of the most fundamental and underrated tactic of the possession game: the back pass.

If you notice xavi, he often recieves the back pass. Then he passes the ball to someone else, after the fellow moves around with the ball, they lay it off to xavi again. Xavi uses his teammates to coyly spread the ball around a couple of times to create enough space for a through-ball or a long switch to the wings.

If you get in a situation where you are open, 5 feet away from your teammate who is being pressured by defenders and a killer pass visualised, just tell him what you see. Yell out "lay it off i have an open pass!"

Even better, explain to players close to your position how the back pass really helps. That is, while he is focusing more so on the ball and defenders pressuring him, you are just a few feet away looking at the field ahead of you. Not only can you see whats going on with your teammate with the ball, but you can also see whats past him: that is your teammates and openings in defence. Its really that simple.

If he still doesnt get it, just promise him you will give him a backpass or two when you are crowded, and then he can see for himself, why giving a back pass to him is better than just blasting the ball your self or still attempting to take on the defenders.

Ofcourse if you want to play like xavi, you must always be within passing distance of the ball. I dont mean sprint back and forth if your team just kicks blind long balls like a little league team. Just jog around, stay relatively close to the ball movement and offer. Also since you want to be a pivot like xavi.......then you must remember the M.O.R.P CYCLE

Move

Offer

Receive

Pass

Rummandinho

Yeah, I had a Wayne Rooney moment yesterday in CM and closed all over the field and found myself making pivotal passes and flicks in CM position... But the way I play, I hardly get any shots at all, I stay behind for the back pass as an anchor to restart the play if any of those wingers(I hate wingers, they're too flashy) fail to cross the ball at the right time.

I stay within 2-6 yards of the ball :D I usually make short passes though, Killer balls are for the CAM

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

if you want to know if ur awarness is as good as Xavi's take this test, if you pass ur amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

in this test there 21 changes thought the vid can u find them all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92tDI4RYCw

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07