Using dribbling skill in games

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
dream_on_go_pro

Using dribbling skill in games

Post by dream_on_go_pro »

Ok here is my dilemma I know a ton of tricks and things and i execute them better than anybody in my area even in games situations when i force myself to use them. I just dont think about using them in a game and i cant use them in practice because we have a touch limit. It is becoming really frustrating for me because i put in so much work and the guys who dont train for a quarter of the time i do are doing better dribbling in the game than me. It just keeps getting worse and worse so now my team thinks im awful because i never do anything like that in a game. Pretty much, my confidence is comepletely gone and training on these moves for hours doesnt seem to work any more.
evo

Post by evo »

Confidence is the problem. If you can't play the simple way of limited touches in pract games then you shouldn't be working on tricks. Work on the simple things and the complex will come later.

Also, I used to have the proplem that people thought I was bad so I believed them, I'll have to give you can example to explain this.

Imagine there was a really bad player playing on a team, when he makes a mistake everyone notices it and keeps thinking that he is bad. When he does something okay then people think that he should of done better and when he does something good people see it as lucky.

Whereas, imagine a player that everyone thinks is brillaint. When he makes a mistake everyone thinks unlucky, nothing he could of really done there. When he does something okay then people think he's done well and when he does something good everyone thinks he's a genius and hero.

If your team mates think your bad then they will get on your back easy and you will have doubt in your mind so will be scared to try your tricks. For a couple of games and training sessions just work your ass off and try to make simple, effective options.

Hope that helps.
dream_on_go_pro

Post by dream_on_go_pro »

yeah i can play simple but thanks for the advice my team is just like that so i will just start trying to always make the simple and effective plays for a while and gradually implement tricks and stuff is that what you mean?
mr_dude

Post by mr_dude »

I played a season where I did everything wrong. If I tried to control the ball, it would slip under my foot, if I tried to beat a defender, I'd gift him the ball. One game, I got disposessed, and someone from my team yelled at me, something like "Don't dribble!". A few minutes later I had the ball, 2 players pressuring me, my entire team thinking "oh sh*t he has the ball", I did a little flick and beat the two of them, and everyone on my team was shocked, I passed the ball off and went back to position. A game or two later I found it easier to dribble, I cut past the entire defence and took a shot.
The moral of the story, try a trick once and you'll get more confidence, and you'll start doing more.
shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha »

word, you gotta take baby steps when developing something. If you try taking leaps right away, you fall flat on your face.
mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint »

evo wrote:Confidence is the problem. If you can't play the simple way of limited touches in pract games then you shouldn't be working on tricks. Work on the simple things and the complex will come later.

Also, I used to have the proplem that people thought I was bad so I believed them, I'll have to give you can example to explain this.

Imagine there was a really bad player playing on a team, when he makes a mistake everyone notices it and keeps thinking that he is bad. When he does something okay then people think that he should of done better and when he does something good people see it as lucky.

Whereas, imagine a player that everyone thinks is brillaint. When he makes a mistake everyone thinks unlucky, nothing he could of really done there. When he does something okay then people think he's done well and when he does something good everyone thinks he's a genius and hero.

If your team mates think your bad then they will get on your back easy and you will have doubt in your mind so will be scared to try your tricks. For a couple of games and training sessions just work your ass off and try to make simple, effective options.

Hope that helps.
Totaly agree with this post, ive had the exact same problem but just by playing pick up games etc etc before i got injuredf i was getting pretty skillfull with my passes and that, youve just got to practice and have faith in ur ability, its only a game at the end of the day and evryone makes mistakes at one time or another its part of the game.
i was made to ignite
ledzepfan15
Sophomore Member

Post by ledzepfan15 »

I can attest to this.

With good ball control comes tricks naturally.

I used to be able to do all sorts of fancy moves...in the confines of my backyard or when there wasn't anyone around. The second I got in the game I never did any of them.

I started playing indoor and my ball control, agility, balance, quick passing have all dramatically improved.

Now when I play I throw in step overs and cross overs, even the quick cuts and drags...I even did a 360 dribble. THAT amazed me. I have NEVER done a 360 dribble before in game and I did this one without thinking about it.

Talk about a confidence booster!
amu86

close control

Post by amu86 »

sorry this post is old, but i need some more drills to work on close control, i do set up cones randomly and dribble through them. i hear juggling helps. is there anything else.
INTER1908
Veteran Member

Re: close control

Post by INTER1908 »

amu86 wrote:sorry this post is old, but i need some more drills to work on close control, i do set up cones randomly and dribble through them. i hear juggling helps. is there anything else.
Play a lot? Especially indoor and/or futsall. Just dribble around with the ball a lot too. A first touch is more important than being able to dribble though.
Made by 2Brown.
panchester07
Veteran Member

Re: close control

Post by panchester07 »

amu86 wrote:sorry this post is old, but i need some more drills to work on close control, i do set up cones randomly and dribble through them. i hear juggling helps. is there anything else.
dribble through your house a lot, pretending chairs are defenders,juggle to improve control, do quick feet drills, and practice 5 or 6 moves that are your own signature moves, play short sided games, and force yourself to dribble in them, make it hard on yourself..

dinho juggled all day, and dribbled through his house all day, so these two things might help and are things that well, your coach wont tell you to do...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'