Problem with attacking headers

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
mdm_223
Sophomore Member

Problem with attacking headers

Post by mdm_223 » 09 Jul 2009, 16:41

Alright so I cannot get an attacking header on target with any sort of power or consitancy and this is a large problem seeing as I am 6' 5" and dominate in the air, I win the ball nearly every time but just cannot put it on target.

I used to play center back but have since moved to attacking winger for the last few seasons and my coach really wants me to improve my attacking headers. Problem is I have no idea how I can do this. None of my friends or teammates within 5 miles can deliver a decent cross so that sort of practice is out of the question. Are there any drills I can do alone to improve technique and timing?

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 09 Jul 2009, 17:13

Well you are not going to be able to practice heading effectively on your own, so find anyone that is willing to help and if they cannot serve you a ball on the ground then have them throw it to you and then you head it on goal. Anyone should be able to do that, even your parents. Sure it is not realistic but it will help your ability to put the ball where you want it off of a header.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Re: Problem with attacking headers

Post by Nat_H » 09 Jul 2009, 18:52

mdm_223 wrote:Alright so I cannot get an attacking header on target with any sort of power or consitancy and this is a large problem seeing as I am 6' 5" and dominate in the air, I win the ball nearly every time but just cannot put it on target.

I used to play center back but have since moved to attacking winger for the last few seasons and my coach really wants me to improve my attacking headers. Problem is I have no idea how I can do this. None of my friends or teammates within 5 miles can deliver a decent cross so that sort of practice is out of the question. Are there any drills I can do alone to improve technique and timing?
Toss the ball up in the air, or bounce it off of a wall :?

The technique is this:
1. Keep your eyes on the ball as you prepare to jump and strike it
2. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES AT ALL
3. Jump to meet the ball
4. Strike the ball with your forehead, on your hairline
5. Snap your neck to add power and to direct the ball
6. Remember to keep your eyes on the ball!
7. Practice Practice Practice

mdm_223
Sophomore Member

Post by mdm_223 » 09 Jul 2009, 22:04

Thanks guys. My biggest problem is probably the timing of my jump and it seems like fixing that just boils down to loads of practice.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 11 Jul 2009, 17:38

mdm_223 wrote:Thanks guys. My biggest problem is probably the timing of my jump and it seems like fixing that just boils down to loads of practice.
Yes timing is tough to master. And yes it does require practice!! So good luck :)

SoClutch
New User

Post by SoClutch » 12 Jul 2009, 16:40

yea do what Nat_h said and make sure you also aim downwards for attacking headers. Because I see a lot of people hitting it over the net and it makes the keepers job harder if you keep it low.