Defending in the Offensive Third

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Defending in the Offensive Third

Post by FCBarca364 » 07 Jun 2009, 14:06

A question that I have is how exactly would a forward "defend" in the offensive third.I understand the concept of high pressure but high pressure proves useless, at least where I play. How would you be able to defend intelligently in the offensive third?

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 07 Jun 2009, 14:14

By forcing the long ball

You need to be able to have two hard working forwards, with the help of clever wingers

So in this diagram the CB with the ball (B) can't pass to his parrell CB or to his Fullback because they are getting marked by forwards and wingers, so he looks to the midfeild where the other striker should run directly toward him, putting pressure and cutting off a low forward pas, so the CB panic's and can only hoof it high upfeild

---------------------------------M----------------------------------
-------------------------------S-------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------W----------------(B)------------------S----------------------------
--FB---------------------CB-------------------CB------------------FB--

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Post by FCBarca364 » 07 Jun 2009, 14:21

First day on the forums and I get an answer from a legend. Thanks mate. Another question that I have is when they pass back to their keeper or one of our through balls goes to the keeper, do I chase him down if I am 40 yards out. I thought high pressure was good but my coach says that this just pulls us out of position?

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 07 Jun 2009, 18:39

Only chase him down if it's a weak pass you have a chance of getting or you can make him clear it out for your throw in.

It does pull you out of position. But honestly, how hard is it to get back in position, right?
Made by 2Brown.

Cesc4
Sophomore Member

Post by Cesc4 » 07 Jun 2009, 18:49

Rooney is a perfect forward who can defend in the offensive third! just watch him... he knows perfectly what to do.

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Post by FCBarca364 » 08 Jun 2009, 02:12

INTER1908 wrote:Only chase him down if it's a weak pass you have a chance of getting or you can make him clear it out for your throw in.

It does pull you out of position. But honestly, how hard is it to get back in position, right?
Very true...I don't even know why my coach ever told me that!
Thank you very much!

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 09 Jun 2009, 00:46

Take lots of chances. I play left back but all throughout our practices and games my coach is telling our forwards to take chances because they have lots of cover behind them so dive in sometimes. Plus defenders sometimes don't have the ball skills to prevent getting the ball stolen. Plus what would you rather do, never go for the ball and never get beat, OR go after it every time and get beat a lot but occasionally steal a ball and score???

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Post by FCBarca364 » 09 Jun 2009, 02:03

MSILancer7 wrote:Take lots of chances. I play left back but all throughout our practices and games my coach is telling our forwards to take chances because they have lots of cover behind them so dive in sometimes. Plus defenders sometimes don't have the ball skills to prevent getting the ball stolen. Plus what would you rather do, never go for the ball and never get beat, OR go after it every time and get beat a lot but occasionally steal a ball and score???
Very True mate.

I am not fast enough to win the long balls but i definitely give them a hard time turning or clearing and i usually force errors or get a throw-in or corner. Thanks again

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 09 Jun 2009, 20:23

I usually think of defending in the offensive third like this:

-Try to force the ball back (can't be done all the time)
-Prevent too much free space dribbling by the defenders
-Force the defender to pass the ball to the outside (not the middle)
-Cut the defender off from his help (proper angled defending).

- If you midfield is defending properly, you should be able to force an error from the other team without too much work.

--There isn't a need to run like your head is cut off. :wink:

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Post by FCBarca364 » 09 Jun 2009, 21:11

Thanks pickyourheadup!

Hey if anyone wanted to see a good video about this topic, I finally found this video on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCAPWdLa ... ated&pos=3

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

Post by KoNJa04 » 09 Jun 2009, 21:53

usually defending in the offensive third your goal isnt really to steal the ball (not saying you shouldnt) but its to make the play obvious, cut out an angle and make the defender go where you want him to, into pressure or into a team mate, also you are trying to give the the worst possible option to use, such as a long ball compared to a short pass to build up play

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Post by FCBarca364 » 11 Jun 2009, 15:34

Thank you all for your help. There were some really good answers/

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 22 Jun 2009, 20:04

Believe it or not but your not actually intending to directly win the ball when you chase down defenders as a forward. As wel as really impressing your manager and any supporters and team mates for you showing your determination and fitness/effort, what your actually doing is pressuring them into making a mistake in their pass.

Yes the odd time you might catch one off guard and actually tackle him, thats your reward for perserverance, but what your trying to do is make him play ball that is easy to intercept by one of your team mates or puts the reciever in a much worse position and thus more likely for your team to win the ball or at the very least break down their attack.

Think about it, if you were running up to take a penalty and then someone screamed at you from behind really suddenly and loudly, it would put you off and make the penalty harder, even for the most experienced player, what your doing when your running at them is like your screaming at them trying to make the pass harder for them to make and in the odd occasion you can put them off enough so that they directly give you the ball and you tackle them.

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 29 Jun 2009, 09:16

In the offensive third when you apply pressure, the intention is not to win the ball, but instead to force the player to pass the ball where you want him to.
The idea is that when you approach the player to apply pressure, do not show him the space where he has players or can play a safe pass.
As NewBornProdigy has shown in the diagram. When you approach the player, you want to show him only one or two options available - which should be riskier than the other options that you have just closed down.
I hope I managed to explain that properly!