Critique and Improvements needed! ( ball control )

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
infectted
New User

Critique and Improvements needed! ( ball control )

Post by infectted » 14 May 2009, 13:45

Hey all, thanks for taking a look at my post

i hope you'll be able to give me a critique of what i do and possibly some improvements

Problem: I'm having with my first touch.

1) When reciving a bouncy ball, my first touch would usually cause the ball to stop and bounce of me, indirectly it bounces perpendicular when compared to how it flew towards me. I've tried pushing it to a side but it still bounces. Is there anyway i can control a bouncing ball such that with a single touch it'll drop to the floor without bouncing ? I managed to do it but with my toes, and i thought it won't be practical cause i'm usually not given so much time

2) Recieving a firm pass. I'm a right leg-ed, hence my natrual movement would be to use my inside foot of my right to tap it to my left, make a turn and send the ball away. However in an attempt to improve and master my left leg i'm facing new problems. I've followed NewBorn's guide on weak foot with some addition like playing games with purely my left. Now unlike before when there is a pass striaght to me, i find myself hesitating, not knowing to use my left or right, sometimes on instict i'll control it with left, other times right. But most of the time i'll ponder and it'll slow down the time i take to turn, is there a way to improve on this ?

3) Being a short player, (165cm) when there is a high ball and there is no one around me and the ball is coming down, i'll tend to cushion it with my thigh. However usually there would be someone pressurising me, i tend to head the ball away being scared of losing it. However i've decided to improve and i wanted to try something new. I got to the ball alot faster than i usually would, stand my ground and chest the ball while sheidling it away from my opponents. HOWEVER, here comes the problem, i'll be too busy shielding the ball, i usually tend to lose control of it. I'm afraid its not just a mental issue but also my chest work. My chest control causes the ball to bounce back to my nose level before i control it right before it touches the floor.

Training I'm doing now to improve control

- 2 walls, 30 m apart
I'll pass to a wall,sprint, collect turn and pass to the other wall.
- wall
left leg inside,outside,laces,sole
right leg inside,outside,laces,sole
both leg 1 touches.
Throwing the ball to the wall and controling with my chest, thigh, foot.

Thanks in advance !

infectted

SoClutch
New User

Post by SoClutch » 15 May 2009, 02:53

With your first problem of not being able to handle a bouncy ball. What you have to do is stop the ball with your laces if it's coming in front of you and make sure you can above the ball not under it or the ball will go up. If you get your laces above the ball pointed to the ground when making contact than the ball will fall to the ground softly and you can get a better second touch in. repeat repeat repeat till you got it.

infectted
New User

Post by infectted » 15 May 2009, 07:01

alright thank you! i'll try that later!

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 15 May 2009, 07:53

For control you may have to do the cliche throw the ball in the air and nestle it or let it bounce once, it works well for me

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Re: Critique and Improvements needed! ( ball control )

Post by NewBornProdigy » 15 May 2009, 17:47

1) When reciving a bouncy ball, my first touch would usually cause the ball to stop and bounce of me, indirectly it bounces perpendicular when compared to how it flew towards me. I've tried pushing it to a side but it still bounces. Is there anyway i can control a bouncing ball such that with a single touch it'll drop to the floor without bouncing ? I managed to do it but with my toes, and i thought it won't be practical cause i'm usually not given so much time
Well this is a very advanced controlling skill, but the only way is to continue to practice kicking the ball high to a wall then using differnet surfaces of your foot to completely kill ball movement by retracting the contact surface the secong you make contact, so your body absorbs the balls energy and it just glues to your foot and drops to the floor
2) Recieving a firm pass. I'm a right leg-ed, hence my natrual movement would be to use my inside foot of my right to tap it to my left, make a turn and send the ball away. However in an attempt to improve and master my left leg i'm facing new problems. I've followed NewBorn's guide on weak foot with some addition like playing games with purely my left. Now unlike before when there is a pass striaght to me, i find myself hesitating, not knowing to use my left or right, sometimes on instict i'll control it with left, other times right. But most of the time i'll ponder and it'll slow down the time i take to turn, is there a way to improve on this ?
This is a good thing that your spoiled for choice, but importantly you should be looking up (and behind you) before you receive the ball, then making your decision which side you are turning toward, then whichever way your balance suits or which is most econmomical in terms of time is the right foot to turn with

eg.
If you wanna turn left, its usually best to touch the ball across your body with your right foot and then while your balance on your right explode in that direction
3) Being a short player, (165cm) when there is a high ball and there is no one around me and the ball is coming down, i'll tend to cushion it with my thigh. However usually there would be someone pressurising me, i tend to head the ball away being scared of losing it. However i've decided to improve and i wanted to try something new. I got to the ball alot faster than i usually would, stand my ground and chest the ball while sheidling it away from my opponents. HOWEVER, here comes the problem, i'll be too busy shielding the ball, i usually tend to lose control of it. I'm afraid its not just a mental issue but also my chest work. My chest control causes the ball to bounce back to my nose level before i control it right before it touches the floor.
This is simply more practice at killing the balls movement and getting the technique so perfect you don't even have to think about it, so you can afford time to think about sheilding and getting to the ball, also heading the ball isn't always a bad idea