Skills journal (share your improvements)

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
frizzyan
Veteran Member

Skills journal (share your improvements)

Post by frizzyan » 15 Jul 2005, 19:08

I'm thinking of keeping a journal about how I'm improving etc because I can reflect on how far I've come, and I think it'll be even better if others also keep a journal so we can share with one another on what we've improved and what we're trying to improve on.

This WILL become a sticky if more people add their journals as well!

I'll start with my first entry:

July 16-

Yesterday I was practising a variety of skills. Now I think I'm able to trap the ball effectively with my thigh although I doubt when I'll use it in a game-scenario yet. I'm also perfecting my chest control, but at the same time I'm trying to get rid of a phobia of chesting the ball during a game. I mean yeah of course I chest the ball during games, but often times I would just jump and trap it with my foot cause I have more confidence in my foot trapping. I'm trying to get rid of this chesting phobia but I think it'll come with time.

Shooting- I've finally discovered my venom in shooting! Now I can hit rocket shots consistently unlike before :D:D! I'm proud of myself for that. Now I can be a more of a shooting player that will change my game completely!

Passing- Since my shooting accuracy has improved (sidefooting and instep), my passing accuracy follows suit. I think I'm far more accurate with the sidefoot than ever before!

Crossing- I think I can pick out players now better! I'm still improving on consistency, but hey I've come a long way from never hitting crosses in my life to a regular crossing sort of role.

Dribbling- I'm trying out more and more tricks nowadays as my dribbling has somewhat altered. It used to be all pace; now it's turning defenders in and out and a few fancy tricks here and there. However, I don't wanna overdo the fancy stuff cause thatll be showboating, but at the same time I want to have a few neat tricks that are effective as well and aren't just running with the ball.

Juggling- See the freestyle section for my improvement!

Overall, I'm progressing and I hope to progress at a quicker rate than ever before. With that being said, I'm nowhere near my level of preference but I will train more strenuously during summer having wasted a large portion of my summer so far. Sigh summer is passing by too quick!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can add your own journal entries as well! Please do so cause we all want to see how your doing and improving!!

Hustler

Post by Hustler » 16 Jul 2005, 10:03

nice.. i like this thread, just wanted to know some drills you do for dribbling and tricks? :shock:

My progress (since 3rd July):

Can do at least 30 ball juggling, before i use to do 5-6 so iv come along within matter of weeks.

More accurate with shooting and passing and can whip in dangerous crosses.

My fitness still needs improving but when i join a club hopefully that would be sorted out.

Thats all really.. il post more of my progress if i see any progress :wink:

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 16 Jul 2005, 21:13

Hey Hustler thanks for joining me in the journal.

If there are those of you out there reading this, please get involved with this journal. It's a great experience for all to read one another's progress and we are also able to share advice and help one another.

Anyway,
dribbling drills? Uhhh I use a broom that is left behind by one of the apartment cleaners and use it down at my carpark and start to dribble past it. I get other stuff like their mops, the whole trolley that carries all this stuff, buckets and whatever I can get my hands to as obstacles, and there you go, I practice dribbling just like that and for different tricks, they just come to my mind when I pracitce them so I am able to improvise better when I'm playing in a real game.

As for existing tricks, uhhh I just perfect them with/without the obstacles just by dribbling the existing tricks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's update of my journal:

July 16(well it's 17 alrdy 5am right now)

I improved my juggling and at first I had problems with getting back to the consistency I had a few days ago with reaching more than 10 keepy-ups; it took me half an hour to get back to that consistency and even improve it. I'm so close to 30! My highest today was 29 and I was so proud of myself. Now I can do at least 10 keepy ups once in every five times.

Here's my aim: To be able to juggle 37 within the next 4 days and be able to do at least 10 once in every two times instead of once in five.

When I do barefoot...it's a different story.

Apart from juggling, I practiced just slamming and rocketing the ball onto the wall, and since I'm doing this in my apartment's carpark at around 12AM, those suit-and-tie businessmen stare at me with curiousity or those couples that just came back from whatever they were up to all stare at me as I am practising myself. It's the only wall I can find where I can actually use it for footballing purposes, but as long as I don't hit the cars (cause believe me, there's no way I can afford to pay for those damages to the latest Mercedes/Ferrari models. I'll be screwed if the ball hits the car and damages it), I think it's fine and I don't really care about people looking at me strangely.

But can anybody tell me how to practise long balls with limited space? tough ask since the word "long" means the crosses/passes have to be LONG. What can I do though with limited space?

michael
Sophomore Member

Post by michael » 17 Jul 2005, 10:37

Cool thread!!!

Ok here's my skill journal

CROSSING : Me and my friends always played a game where one player crosses the ball in the box and the others try to score. When someone scored five goals the game was over, and the one with the least goals had to cross the ball then. My friends are taller then me so I had to cross the ball alot. Now I can cross the ball more accurate. I'm also practicing crossing with my right foot.

SHOOTING and CONTROL : I do wall exercise 2-3 hours every day. My control and my shooting(especially long-range shooting) have improved dramaticly.

DRIBBLING : Today I'm starting my dribbling training. I want to dedicate my practice on changing of pace and direction.

That's everything.

@frizzyan : I think the only way to practice your long range shooting is too find a training buddy and you will need alot of space. I can't find an alternative.

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

Post by *yung-ital* » 17 Jul 2005, 20:10

Freestyling:
I can 3 atws now
and im starting to be able to do combos
yet im having a little bit of trouble
so im gonna start going back to the basics for 2 hours a day and realy
master them. i think ive already mastered them but i want my atws to be like sleeping even though i can od it 100 percent of the time.
I can do over 2000 juggles and today im gonna go for 3000
my shooting has tons of bend and i just discovered that the other day so i have been shooting on a net.
i think i need a little more power for long range shots

Great idea frizzyan
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 18 Jul 2005, 01:06

i wouldnt know the exact dates.

1. Foot speed has increased due to lots of stepovers i will never use.

2. Mental awareness has improved, I am starting to be more imaginative on the ball, and a little more cautious in my play, could be seen as a step forward in my game or a step back still not sure yet.

shooting power has stayed the same but my accuracy with 100% shot has increased dramatically.

FOR FRIZZYAN:

Practicing long balls in short spaces sucks i have to do it to, but i have a street right next to my house, and across the street there is grass by the sidewalk so i practice hitting the ball from there with power into my yard. maybe you can find a similar way to do this. hope this helps!
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 18 Jul 2005, 15:24

Big problem: All my friends that live near me only care about playing, not training.

If I asked them about training with me long balls, it's equivalent to not even bother asking them lol.

The serious guys are all on the island across the harbor (if you know the geography of Hong Kong, you'll know what I mean).

My club is located on the other island, but then I only go there for football, field hockey practices. I usually don't go play football on that island, cause it's too expensive and too much of a hassle travelling back and forth.

I could join one of those Skill classes but it's around US$13 per class (2hrs). expensive -_-

CASA15

Post by CASA15 » 18 Jul 2005, 17:52

hey frizzyan how did you get so good at juggling in such a short time. like what drills did you do or did you just juggle and try to beat it everytime?

and for crossing in short spaces you try to get one of those balls on a string...i dont know if that would help tho...just a thought.

oranje74

Post by oranje74 » 18 Jul 2005, 21:45

my tryouts are in a month and 4 days.... and pretty much every day i have been running between .8 and 2 miles
then i strecthc
following that i trap for a while (10x either foot)
i then work on my first touch against my stoop either foot
then i work on dribbling moves in my yard....i THINK i can maradona, i cant do scissors though
then i turn things in for the day

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 19 Jul 2005, 13:12

hey frizzyan how did you get so good at juggling in such a short time.
I still suck at juggling, it's all about practice!
my tryouts are in a month and 4 days.... and pretty much every day i have been running between .8 and 2 miles
then i strecthc
following that i trap for a while (10x either foot)
i then work on my first touch against my stoop either foot
then i work on dribbling moves in my yard....i THINK i can maradona, i cant do scissors though
then i turn things in for the day
cool good luck with your practising!

CASA15

Post by CASA15 » 19 Jul 2005, 16:32

I still suck at juggling, it's all about practice!
ya but still what kind of drills are you doing to get better cuz im really interested in getting better at juggling too but i just dont know any drills to do so...

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

Post by *yung-ital* » 19 Jul 2005, 17:41

u cant do "drills" for juggling. people who cant juggle just dont practice enough.

my improvement is:
today i did atw,atw,htw,crossover,atw
then i worked on my head stall and i did it for 20 seconds.
then i was working on my tatw cause i can do it, except i need to get them higher.
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

supersyed
Veteran Member

Post by supersyed » 19 Jul 2005, 20:34

I just broke my record in atw's on sunday, did 8, my prev rec was 6. can do bout 6 move combos now, still working on new tricks.

I started training again 2day (after a long break). I ran 2 a soccer field bout 1 km away frm my house, 2 practice shooting. I trained by sprinting frm 1 soccer pole 2 near the box on the other side, wer I took the shot, coz I realy suck wen it cums 2 shooting while running. After each sprint and shot ,I took bout 30 sec breaks 2 evaluate my problems and 2 revive. I scored 4/5 when shooting a still/ or slow moving ball, but only scored 2/5 while sprinting @ almost full speed. At the end of the day I felt quite an improvement as I was getting used 2 shooting at that speed. My aim is 2 score 5/5 or @tleest 7/10 at the end of the month.

My other aims 4 the end of the month: do 10 atws, do 7 move combos, create new ground/panna moves, and learn new freestyle tricks, get used 2 runnin with good control of the ball @ my new high speed, recently realised that Im now faster than I was b4. Il update @ end of month.
Peace Owt.
Too much power.
www.soccerfreaks.co.nr

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 20 Jul 2005, 09:39

Hey yung-ital, how much did you practice from being completely useless at juggling into doing all these wack combo moves?

Just wondering. and even if it's less than I expected, I'll still maintain my aim. if it's more, then obviously i'll up my practice time but it's hard with such a condensed schedule.

My New Journal Entry is coming tonight guys!! (Mainly fitness training though -_-)

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

Post by ROIUSA » 21 Jul 2005, 01:09

im making my return from a break from injury. My sheduale for the remaining week is

THURS:run 3.2 miles. juggle. double touch, matthews, scissors, crossovers, and stop&gos.

FRI. strentgh and conditioning camp. 12 50 yard sprints. juggling. shoooting while on the run. scissors and crossovers

Sat: 20 50 yard sprints. bending the ball from free kicks. dribbling at full speed.
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP