frozen, with self pressure?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Loopy4
Sophomore Member

hey all, i have a minor issue thats never occured before.
im a skillful player with a generaly great touch, i dont panic underpressure (unless some beast is about to plow into me, HA) but i had a midweek match in the week.
this season i moved teams, and on wednesday i had to play my old team. it was difficult cause i was still friends with some of them, and they are huge. (im small + thin, they aint!)

anywhoo, i got the ball in my own half, by the side line. two players just waiting for my moves, as they know me. all their supporters, who i know and they know me well, were right infront of me, and i felt EVERYONE was staring at me at that very point, like it was silence and a single spot light came on me.. was soo wierd. and they kept bantering at me, sayin things (which affected me at that specific point, but i dont remember what was said right now.)

and somehow i just froze. starring at the ball for minor seconds.
its never happened before.. was so strange, so i just tapped the ball out for a throw-in.

as the game carried on, i couldnt get that out of my head and so started to get frustrated, with others, the ref, my managers and more importantly, myself.

im not usualy like this, and still cant figure it out.
but im wandering if it was because i felt that i had to really proove myself, and be the 'star of the show', if you like. i had too much self pressure?

HOW CAN I DEAL WITH THIS?
HOW DO /WOULD YOU DEAL WITH THIS?!?!!?
WHAT CAN I DO WHICH ENABLES ME TO KEEP COOL AND TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF MYSELF ?!!?

(-before a match i listen to my ipod and kick a ball around, kick ups etc on my own. to keep me concerntrated. this didnt realy happen on wednesday.. :? )

Its A Girls Game.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

I've had this happen to me too. It's probably because you were feeling too comfortable (you were friends with everyone on both teams).

-Try to approach every match focused mainly on your team and its game plan. Think of the other team's players (even though they are your friends) as just "the other team".
-On the field, focus on your teammates.

-Instead of trying to impress other players (like your friends on the other team) by forcing situations, focus on the playing the game with your current team.

When this happened to me, I was chatting with the other team since I hadn't seen them in a while (they were my friends too).
I learned, after that game, that being comfortable before and during a game is good.

However, being too comfortable will make you less focused on the game itself and more focused other things.

I also felt (since I was the only player from my previous team that left for a different club) that it was me vs them (I wanted to "prove myself").
I forgot that I had new teammates who would support me.
In other words, I learned that I didn't need to place all the pressure on myself since I had teammates.

I don't think missing out on your iPod was what went wrong. Though for some people music helps their nerves or gets them "pumped" for the match.

If this continues happening, maybe you should ask your coach for advice. I'm sure he or she has been in a similar situation.

Loopy4
Sophomore Member

thanks pickyourheadup!
i have them tomorrow so ill see how things go, after a change of mind.
:D

Its A Girls Game.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

thts wat happens when ya get overemotional...jz dun think so much(tho that may be bit hard for a gal)...jz focus on your team and your ball...

Hugh
Veteran Member

It's tough to keep your head in the game and not get distracted by things like that, this happens to me quite a bit.

The best thing you can do is just work your way up from the bottom, get your confidence back by playing very basic, risk-free soccer for a while, just make passes, don't try to beat anyone, once you've come to believe in yourself that you aren't under pressure and you don't need to panic then you can start doing tricks again. It should take you about 10 minutes or so, just remember to keep your head up and don't think about the past or the future.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Wow I thankfully have never had to experience that. I can imagine how weird it would feel.

Anyway, it seems as though it is a one off. It was against your old team and maybe for a split second you were thinking about something else rather than the game. A bit of a lapse mentally I reckon. Its happened to me before but I was not infront of anyone really and it was all cool, I understood what went wrong.

I think some tips for you is by (no reference to highschool musical) get your head in the game.

A thing I like to do is juggle before the game it really helps me concentrate and during the first of your touches in the game dont try anything crazy just pass the ball around. Get in the game.

You seem like a smart person and a good player so dw too much, I think youll do fine.