Help me with my training

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
krizzle
New User

Help me with my training

Post by krizzle » 11 Apr 2009, 22:46

Hi,

I am looking to join the High School Varsity team- the tryouts are in late August.

I am about 5' 1"tall and weigh about 125 pounds.
I play basically any Forward of AM.
I am right-footed but can use my left foot a bit- need to work on it.
I play soccer at my school's reccess and on Saturdays with adults.

I need to work on my finishing skills- one on one and from crosses and from set peices.

My goals:
Get on the Varsity team
Lose 10 pounds
Be able to pass, shoot, and cross with both feet equally easily
Become faster and have better endurance for games

Would anyone be able to make a training routine for me?
I will be able to play soccer almost everyday in the summer with friends. We will be having a training for High School soccer- could you please suggest drills and stuff? Most of us are mids and forwards.

Thanks,
Krizzle

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 11 Apr 2009, 22:59

if theres enough of you, just play matches. games will help you more than drills and you also work harder.

-world cup will help you with 1 on 1's and finishing,

-soccer tennis can also help with your control and confidence at recieving
the ball.

-crossing and finishing, first to score 10 wins, etc

piggy in the middle, play 1 touch.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 11 Apr 2009, 23:09

Wait, are you a guy or a girl?

To get better with both feet just try and work in your weak foot into drills. For endurance just run, try to do longer runs and sprints. As for weight loss that should come naturally with increased exercise but you also might want to eat healthier.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 11 Apr 2009, 23:12

For both feet help. Juggle

But dont try tricks, just simple left foot rights foot juggling, it helps like crazy.

Mark23
New User

Post by Mark23 » 11 Apr 2009, 23:53

For left foot training this is what I did. To start off my left foot wasn't very strong, so I bought a light volleyball, not a beachball but like a soft match volleyball. Its easier to kick and you can focus on technique more rather than power because they fly when you kick them. They're also fun for playing a small game with your friends.

You're planning on playing with your friends to practice right? Are these friends serious about practicing instead of fooling around? It's okay if they just wanna play a kickabout game but that wont refine all the parts of your game, so you'll need to do alot of individual work. If they are, then all the better, but also leave time for playing some small sided games. For your individual training, set up a routine, I have a post of my routine and you can use that as an example and critique it if you want to.

About loosing weight, I have a couple suggestions. My first one and my best advice is to swim laps! If you can find a pool to swim at, just go and swim laps for 30 minutes to an hour, it's the best exersise you can ask for. I've been on the swim team with kids over the summer and seen them loose so much weight when they were so fat at the beginning. Now, I'm not saying you're fat, because 125 pounds is NOT fat, but it will be easy to loose weight. Also, running is great for weight loss, bring an Ipod with motivating music with you if you like.

That's pretty much it, sorry for the length but I hope it helps. Good luck! If you need any more advice please feel free to contact me.

EDIT: Just saw that you say your friends are trying for the team to, so they will most likely be serious about it. It is so beneficial to do practice with friends, so just make up some drills and you'll improve alot.

krizzle
New User

Re: Help me with my training

Post by krizzle » 12 Apr 2009, 05:57

krizzle wrote:Hi,

I am looking to join the High School Varsity team- the tryouts are in late August.

I play soccer at my school's recess and on Saturdays with adults.

I need to work on my finishing skills- one on one and from crosses and from set pieces.

My goals:
Get on the Varsity team
Lose 10 pounds

I will be able to play soccer almost everyday in the summer with friends. We will be having a training for High School soccer- could you please suggest drills and stuff? Most of us are mids and forwards.

Thanks,
Krizzle

mrbeankid22

Re: Help me with my training

Post by mrbeankid22 » 14 Apr 2009, 20:54

krizzle wrote:Hi,

I play soccer at my school's reccess and on Saturdays with adults.

I need to work on my finishing skills- one on one and from crosses and from set peices.

My goals:
Get on the Varsity team
Lose 10 pounds

Thanks,
Krizzle
5 1', 125 pounds? Are you still an 8th grader or a Freshman or are you just really short? I really wouldn't recommend trying to lose pounds, as most Varsity players are 145+, you'll have to be strong on the ball for your size if you want to compete in a good varsity district or extremely skilled. Instead I'd try to convert any excess fat into muscle and get into shape while building muscle. I.E. strength training + fitness/speed conditioning. Then add to your skills, mainly close control, speed of play, accurate passing and ball distribution, close dribbling, and shooting.

krizzle
New User

Post by krizzle » 15 Apr 2009, 05:16

i'm just really short!

My dad started his growth spurt at like 16 so i have 3 years :(

I'm in 8th grade.

My shoe size is like 10.5-11 US so i think i'll start growing soon!