Training Comparison Thread

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 10 Jan 2010, 17:15

Ooh I see, you were talking more about a routine that you can follow exactly as written. Then, yeah, I 100% agree with you there. It kind of sucks having the randomness of what you'll be training each day.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 10 Jan 2010, 17:29

DONT wanna sound like a big tape recorder and repeat everything I say..

but you can get a fantastic traininig session inside the warmth of your home..

juggle around your house with out dropping it..

dribble around your house at full speed through chairs etc..

go to a wall you have and do a few ground-wall drills...

then go to the gym etc..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

soccerjj

Post by soccerjj » 10 Jan 2010, 17:40

Panchester do you dribble/ juggle around your house with a full size or a smaller ball.

( oh and are you one of the players on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chepo_F.C. in the current squad section and if so who? :D )

And about training in snow

juggling is good as the snow dosnt effect the ball
Throwing ball up and getting a good first touch is good
Finding a sheltered place is good
Doing physical work is good

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 10 Jan 2010, 18:08

Oh i see fair enough, that is a pretty poor set up but if your team is playing at a high standard it isn't so bad i guess. Good luck in brazil.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 10 Jan 2010, 18:35

soccerjj wrote:Panchester do you dribble/ juggle around your house with a full size or a smaller ball.

( oh and are you one of the players on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chepo_F.C. in the current squad section and if so who? :D )

haha, my names not on there.. im the 24th 23rd man and thats like the top 21 players that get called up.. anyway I do train with the first team, and I got to sit in the benches a few times.. I got told to warm up in a game we were up 2-0 but I never played :s

plus you have to take in consideration that those guys are 20 and older im 17..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

ReXage

Post by ReXage » 10 Jan 2010, 23:15

soccerjj wrote:Panchester do you dribble/ juggle around your house with a full size or a smaller ball.

Lol when he told me about it i went to the wikipedia for that club too and i was trying to guess which one would be him

soccerjj

Post by soccerjj » 10 Jan 2010, 23:27

I know thats what i did aswell.

Panchester how far of do you think you are from the level of some of those players as some of them are internationals! :shock:

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 11 Jan 2010, 09:15

Lol, looking at that Wikipedia page Panchester, the name of your chairman is the name of my old maths teacher :lol:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

dream_on_go_pro

Post by dream_on_go_pro » 15 Jan 2010, 03:45

15, 16 in april
Central midfield or wing midfield
State competitive club
Kentucky, USA

Crossfit each day for fitness (possibly the best physical training for athletes available for strength)

SUNDAY: Only day i can ever find a pick up game with anybody the hispanics in my area are the only ones i can play with all the others are slobs :evil:
Day for first touch
30 minutes throwing ball off wall to settle/turn
30 minutes with ultimagoal
30 minutes punt to settle
Juggle/ freestyle in my garage when its dark

MONDAY:
Overall control day
1 hour juggle combos (thigh-foot-chest-head mixes)
Freestyle in garage

TUESDAY: (indoor games take place on tuesday)
Left foot day
15 minutes Left foot shots at a target
15 minutes left foot crosses
15 minutes dribble through cones with left

WEDNESDAY:
Mix day/ make up for tuesday if necessary
15 minutes right/left foot shots
15 minutes juggling
15 minutes cone dribbles
15 minutes quick feet drills
Juggle/freestyle in garage

THURSDAY:
same as sunday

FRIDAY:
Usually very little time because i have a social life but usually:
45 minutes learning new freestyle tricks off my dvd

SATURDAY:
dribbling day
JDefoes home dribbling program
15 minutes close dribbling (ball attached to foot basically)
30 minutes mix of cone dribble drills

Ok this is my routine I would like to know if it is a good one for the goals i want to reach and be honest with me. I dont mean honest like say I cant make it but critique my routine and amount needed to achieve the status of my goals.

Training Focus:
-Get faster and stronger from CrossFit
-Great left foot
-Extremely precise directional control and first touch
-Better dribbling moves and overall control of dribble
-Get as much tactical exp. as I can from my pick up games
-Become a better juggler/freestyler

Aims for career:
-US national team
-Play MLS or La Liga(favorite league)
-All-American college player
-Get a scholarship to top D1 or top D2 school

amu86

rst

Post by amu86 » 15 Jan 2010, 11:47

your should atleast have 1 day of rest otherwise thats a great plan

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 15 Jan 2010, 12:38

Amu, complete rest days aren't necessary if you limit intensity\volume on certain days. I don't know the last day that I haven't practiced. Mind you though, there are days where I will go and just juggle for a couple hours. And frankly, to me, Friday and Saturday, assuming his conditioning work is light would be good enough rest days.

@Dream_on_go_pro - Two things that I would change are the only left foot days and using crossfit as a way to prepare for soccer.

Left foot days - As long as you're making sure you're using each foot then why not get your right foot better also? A lot of my biggest improvements with my left foot have come from feeling something right with my right foot and adjusting the next shot with my left for that. Contrary to what people say you don't need both feet to be even. Why not have an amazing right foot and a good left foot? Instead of having a good left foot and a good right foot?

Crossfit - Crossfit doesn't take into consideration peoples differences in work capacity. Not only that but their focus is being good at everything and great at nothing. This is not what you need for soccer. While I don't want to break out into an essay here you'll definitely need to focus differently on your condition if you want to be in your best shape for soccer. I will get back to you later on this though if you'd like. I need to head to the gym and get some stuff done now though.

dream_on_go_pro

Post by dream_on_go_pro » 15 Jan 2010, 13:02

Thanks Icy should i cut crossfit or just supplement it with some plyometric and quickness training?

Also do you guys think it would be better to play for a really good team that is my age or a bad one that is two years older? My current team is competitive for state cup but the team that is older isnt even ranked I just wanted to know which would yield the best improvement for me.

xilog

Post by xilog » 15 Jan 2010, 15:42

Position
Central midfield
Level in Football
Local club
Country
Sweden
Weekly Routine
Monday
Team
School training (1h)
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
N/A
Tuesday
Team
Physical (1h)
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
N/A
Wednesday
Team
Football / Running (1h30m)
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
- Running (intervals)
If my muscles dont hurt from training yesterday
- Pushups
- Situps
Thursday
Team
N/A
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
- Pushups
- Situps
Friday
Team
School training (1h)
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
Running (longer run)
Saturday
Team
Football (1h30m)
-Technical
N/A
-Physical
N/A
Sunday
Team
N/A
-Technical
2 - 3h practice, doing dribbling, shooting etc.
-Physical
- Pushups
Training Focus
As you can see right now I just have one day practicing technical skills, this is just to get in good shape. In about a month (right now it's two months until our season starts) I will focus on ball skills more than the physical part.
Aims for a Career
Short term goal - Do a very good season with my team.
Medium term goal - Get to play for the older teams in my club.
Long term goal - Play in one of the three biggest football leagues.
Training Efficency
#/10
9/10
Further Comments
I was in Gambia just a week ago, and on the beach there were hundreds of Gambians running, playing football and doing pushups/situps. I talked to some of them and they all wanted to play football professionaly. To the point - their bodies were amazing! Most of them probably had'nt done weights in their whole life, just used their bodyweight. So then when I returned to cold Sweden I remembered two sites that I think I actually found on EF about a year ago or something - www.hundredpushups.com and www.twohundredsitups.com - I am doing my own physical practise based on that sites training program.
Please give me some feedback!
:)
Last sign:

sign/ava by me

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 16 Jan 2010, 13:33

Cutting out crossfit entirely isn't necessary because there is definitely some good routines every once in a while. The problem with just following their WoD is that you'll just be good at everything and great at nothing. There is no "right" answer, but feel free to do it for a few weeks and keep what is fun\works. Then replace the things that you don't like with things that you like and improve your ability

Personally hill sprints and 400m repeats were the most beneficial thing for soccer. You should definitely have a two days working on quickness\agility though. The constant acceleration\deceleration of agility drills will get you in much better football shape than most other things. Granted if you're doing them to the point of exhaustion your agility won't improve as much, but it's important to bit fit first imo.

It's difficult to say which team you should play on. If the worse team has great competition and can atleast pass the ball around then I'd say that team. If they can barely get passes in though than you'll have little chance to improve in games.

The very good team though can definitely add to your confidence. The problem is that if a lot better than other teams just "walking through" other teams adds little to skill, only confidence.

So really, idk, it kind of depends on which of those you want to focus on. haha