Kick up

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Kick up

Post by tRiXtEr » 21 Oct 2008, 11:37

Grrr...i can do step-overs, CR7 turn, but still can't do kick-ups!! I've been practicing now in my garden for the last few days. Any advice on how to get the ball up best? It doesn't help when the ball is wet obviously as you can't get the force you need n the ball to draw it back. Any tips?

Crom

Post by Crom » 21 Oct 2008, 12:36

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfu3WBZdyDw

very good video on ronaldo style kick ups

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Post by tRiXtEr » 21 Oct 2008, 13:26

cheers, i think it may have been teh ball being wet and slippery. I just did it now (dry) and got 5 or 6 kick ups.

bermudaphilip
New User

Post by bermudaphilip » 23 Oct 2008, 20:41

Maybe you can't do "kick ups" (guessing you mean you can't juggle) because you're not practicing them enough?

Stop worrying about the tricks and flicks so much right now, and concentrate on getting the basics like juggling down first. Once you have that you can move onto more complicated and fancier/flashier things, but you need to be able to juggle and do basic things first.

It's just practice bud, just keep trying and eventually it will come.

Juggling is one of the things where its a long struggle to get to 20, then its a little easier to get to 50, then its even easier to get to 100, and once you've hit 100+ you generally (note i say generally,t his might not be true for everyone, it just was for me and people I know) can do many more with just a little more practice.

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Post by tRiXtEr » 24 Oct 2008, 11:41

Thanks bermudaphilip that's quite re-assuring. How long did it take you then?

bermudaphilip
New User

Post by bermudaphilip » 24 Oct 2008, 20:22

Uh, it's not so much of a how long did it take you question.

It'll take different amounts of time for different people.

For me, at the age 13 I was pretty much useless on the field, much as it hurts to admit it LOL. I had my moments of brilliance and stuff and my touch and pass weren't bad or anything, but I just never had a good coach that actually explained the importance of juggling or any part of the game to me.

Then I had for about 6 months at my club, this jackass coach who basically saw my potential I guess, assuming I have any, and made me juggle before every practice. Over the next summr I travelled around and attend lots of camps and stuff, and after that summer I was a lot more confident and was able to juggle pretty much at will. Not to say I was perfect, but i was able to juggle well enough not to be useless.

i saw my touch improve, and after that I made it a habit to get to every training session and be ready about 20 minutes early and just juggle. At home, I kept a small futsal ball around (any football/tennis ball will work) and when i was standing around and stuff i just would juggle.

Basically, you just need to practice. How long it will take is up to YOU and how much you practice each day, and your natural ability to juggle really cause everyone is different and it might or might not come easy to you once you start practicing.

Don't get frustrated, just practice! you'll get it eventually!

bermudaphilip
New User

Post by bermudaphilip » 24 Oct 2008, 20:23

Uh, it's not so much of a how long did it take you question.

It'll take different amounts of time for different people.

For me, at the age 13 I was pretty much useless on the field, much as it hurts to admit it LOL. I had my moments of brilliance and stuff and my touch and pass weren't bad or anything, but I just never had a good coach that actually explained the importance of juggling or any part of the game to me.

Then I had for about 6 months at my club, this jackass coach who basically saw my potential I guess, assuming I have any, and made me juggle before every practice. Over the next summr I travelled around and attend lots of camps and stuff, and after that summer I was a lot more confident and was able to juggle pretty much at will. Not to say I was perfect, but i was able to juggle well enough not to be useless.

i saw my touch improve, and after that I made it a habit to get to every training session and be ready about 20 minutes early and just juggle. At home, I kept a small futsal ball around (any football/tennis ball will work) and when i was standing around and stuff i just would juggle.

Basically, you just need to practice. How long it will take is up to YOU and how much you practice each day, and your natural ability to juggle really cause everyone is different and it might or might not come easy to you once you start practicing.

Don't get frustrated, just practice! you'll get it eventually!

infectted
New User

Post by infectted » 09 Nov 2008, 12:04

try using more of your toes, and place spin on the ball (: