help with stepover

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
MUFC1994
Veteran Member

I know how to do a step over but im looking to improve spped and fluency. i know c.ronaldo does something with his toes. can someone give me tips/drills to help me.

P.S. does learning freestyle tricks like the ATW or crossover help with stepovers?

NewBornProdigy
Admin

red font: simple and effective way to do drills
green font:more advanced and game realistic way to do drills

Drill 1
Ball or cone...10 minutes
Do stepovers around the ball while stationary, everytime you touch it do 10 situps, remember to keep your head up
Do drag stepovers and reverse stepovers around the ball, everytime you touch it do 10 situps, remember to keep your head up

man just practice

ronaldo tends to stand on his tippy toes, but thats his technique its not the 'best' or 'right' way to do a stepover...

you should mainly concentrate on lunging your body along with your leg when stepping over the ball, to sell them better...

if you keep practicing until you get a rhythm which your feet just glide around the ball

also i doubt ATW or crossover would make much of a difference to how good your stepover is... mabye i would improve your foot speed, but nothing significant...

if you wanna learn how to do proper stepovers, watch Ronaldo (The Brazillian) and Ronaldinho, watch how they 'sell' and execute the move

CR7 does do really good ones but these 2 dudes are way better at them

hope this helps

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

thx new born

mak9

c ronaldo wears very tight shoes that makes him "run on his toes"

I wouldn't advise it, I suggest to skip a few times and once you finish start doing the step over

klc123
Veteran Member

how can u say ronaldo and ronaldinho do better stepovers than c ronaldo if anything i would say cr7 is best at them because he executes them quickly and still sells them really well and he can also do extremely fast freestyle ones to mix up his normal dribbling to make him untackleable.

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

ronaldinho one of the best body movements in football,and is a better dribbler because of that,but still,cr is top on stepovers,
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

because it only takes ronaldinho 1 stepover to beat someone
it takes ronaldo 8

i do think cr7 is amazing at them, but these two do them so perfectly,

CR7 does them quick and sells them really well...

Ronaldinho and Ronaldo do them quick (mabye not as quick as ronaldo) but they sell them absolutly perfect

Did you ever see the time ronaldinho did a double stepover around Gatuso? they were perfectly sold stepovers... see below at the URL's

the main thing the brazillians can do is time them to absolute prefection and use there body brilliantly to beat defenders...

CR7 can start doing them whenever he wants (too early or too late) and he'll still beat you because of how fast and how many he can do... he's incredible at them but not the best (mabye saying the other two were way better than him was an over-statment)

anyway if your learning the stepover the brazillian's are the best ones to look for examples from... but if you want to do them like ronaldo, try learn from ronaldo

how long have you bin into football klc123?
and where do you live?

cause if you watched football when the 2 brazillians were at top form you would understand where i'm coming from

EDIT:

here are two video's: (there pretty old so excuse the quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW_vfKb5tyE

CR7 vs France

this is an incredible stepover routine of which ronaldo shows all of his amazing stepover ability... but one thing he doesn't do is beat frank ribery in the end... basically he can do them fantastic... but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5PxGJ_KhRA

Ronaldinho vs Milan

just watch the whole video and really look at about 4:40... ronaldinho is wearing bright yellow and he totally burn's gattuso...

this is the double stepover i was reffering to... if you watch over and over again you see how he sells the brilliant movement with his eyes his legs his shoulders... it takes him a split second to completely leave gattuso running the other way... the main differnce is how easily ronaldinho breezes past a great DM and ronaldo does a fantastic combo but fails to beat Ribery, a Forward usually... they are both great at them but ronaldinho is better in my opinion...

soccerforlife1994
Sophomore Member

i used to do it like Rolando going on my tip toes and doing them fast and repeatedly but i found that it does not fool the defender because ronaldo dosent put any body motion in to it so i started practicing doing it while moving my body to the direction i want my defender to think im going and then moving going the other other way its about slower but much more affective. ( to get better at stopovers first start by moving the ball slowly and doing stopovers over and over again until you get tired and then start doing it in full speed once you get better)

klc123
Veteran Member

c ronaldo is basicly georgebest with stepovers, thats what makes him best, the very best dribbler of all time is george best and he used no moves jus cuts, ronaldo is no as good as george is and probally never will be seeing how great best was but ronaldo is definately better than ronaldinho and ronaldo at stepovers, its just ronaldinho and ronaldo are more direct about their stepovers, watch ronaldo v benfica and then u will see how devastatingly good ronaldo is when his is more direct, he jus prefers to freestyle alot aswel which makes him alot more entertaining.

Rocky
Veteran Member

the very best dribbler of all time is george best
Can be discussed.

C.Ronaldo does his stepovers fast but doesnt put any body movement to it, if he did, he would of been hard to stop.. if you wanna learn to do stepovers and when to use them, then watch Brazilian Ronaldo

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:c ronaldo is basicly georgebest with stepovers, thats what makes him best
I'm sorry but u didnt just say that c. Ronaldo is the best... Actually, he's quite far from it

ExpertFootballer

Ronaldinho is a genius in doing tricks.

C.Ronaldo is a much better play then him and can do better stepovers.

THE BEST WAY TO DO STEPOVERS IS TO STRETCH YOUR LEGS!!

UNLESS YOU WANNA PRACTICE 100S OF HOURS PRACTICING STEPOVERS, I SUGGEST YOU JUST STRETCH YOUR LEGS TO DO STEPOVERS.

All that 100s of hours wasted on doing a move, when you could of been practicing your speed, left foot, you get my drift?

*Edit.

Also, shut up, everyone in the damn world knows Maradona was the best dribber.
George Best is like a crap version of Pele. And if you read Pele's autobiography, you can easily see why Maradona is better then him.

Anyways... if you watch the video clips of Maradona and Pele, there is no competition, Maradona wins.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

klc123:
i have read from most of your post that you are a big CR7 fan its hard not to be with the form he is in
but that does not mean that everything he does is perfect

if your were a beginner, R9 and ronaldinho's stepovers are the perfect examples to follow... simply because they have the closest to perfect technique

ronaldo is no doubt brilliant at stepovers very quick and great technique

R9 and R10 on the other hand beats the defenders (leaves them running the wrong way) by selling the move so well

their stepovers
are not as fast (but still quick)

are not as many (but still skillful)

i completely accept that ronaldo is utterly devastating with his stepovers

but i completely disagree with this
then u will see how devastatingly good ronaldo is when his is more direct, he jus prefers to freestyle alot aswel which makes him alot more entertaining.
you cannot see past you biased view, if you think that Cristiano is more entertaining than either of the brazillians... then how can you expect anyone to beleive that his stepovers are the best, its just you saying what you want to hear

Ronaldinho was possibly the most entertaining player to ever grace the game... everything he did was simply jaw dropping, he owned the whole world for 2 years... he was loved by everyone, because he was the symbol of what the game means: skill and joy, he was the kid of the sport who did things for fun not for glory... and if you followed football in his prime not cr7s you would love him to

Ronaldo was world player of the year 3 times and any person who follows football understands that this man would have been up there with pele and maradona if it wasn't for injury (and hes pretty close as it is)

CR7 has brought great skill, great thrill... but he is over paid, selfish and spoilt... he is nothing more than a greedy prat... representing all things bad about football, money lust, over indulgence and arrogance

i absolutly love his abilites on the playing field... i think he is an extraordinary talent, right now he is the best in the world... no one was even close to challenging him (we saw plenty of players flop this season ronaldinho, henry, kaka) but no man, he is not and never will be as entertaining as ronaldo or ronaldinho...
when it comes to stepovers
for Cristiano it takes 17 to get a crowd to stop booing
for Ronaldino it takes 1 to get a crowd to start screaming

and just because you love everything he does, does not mean that someone else in the world can't do it better

Cryuff, Pele, Maradona and Zico

were as good if not better than best at dribbling

i am not trying to shame you, but merely try to get you to look past you favortism that so many people have today, so many people think that:

"ronaldo is a god"

the real thing is:

"ronaldo thinks hes god"

and you seen yourself he was a massive flop in big games this season. which should never happen to a truly great player.

he is irresistible as a player right now, but he is a nobody compared to most greats until he sorts out his mentality... which doesn look like it is gonna happen

bottom line is:

the brazillians stepovers are better because they have the best technique

the ronaldo stepovers are savage but not as good a style to start learning from