fast feet

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
ledzepfan15
Sophomore Member

i was watching a clip of c ronaldo, and im wondering ,how the hell can he move his feet that fast?

i know he as several years of experience under his belt...

but for a teen like me 18 yrs, how can i develop quick feet like that. im not saying to that speed cause itll take years(i think) but how do i go about developing my feet to move that fast? anyone

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Are you talking about speed of tricks and stepovers?

Alot of times when you think speed is necessary for something...it is just as much a case of technique (like in ATW). Obviously CR7 has inherently fast feet, but he has also practiced his tricks soooooo many times its unreal. His technique is both "perfect" and second nature to him, which makes him look so good. I doubt you either can get as good at stepovers/tricks as CR7, or that you need to be that good to use them effectively.

To answer your question, just practice stepovers over a ball or cone...

ledzepfan15
Sophomore Member

well yea that too, tricks included, but i mean the control and speed of the feet. like when you watch futsal matches or a player who just took on 3 guys and won, the speed and control of the ball because of how fast he moves his feet.

i dont mean tricks initially, i mean the control he has because of the speed of his feet. like a player faces 3 guys and manages to keep the ball to himself and geting past them...that kind of control.

the control that comes with speed. not just for tricks but the overrall skill level

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Oh, OK, but I think the same principle can be applied, just practice mastering the tricks/passing/trapping/whatever, until you can do it second nature. That's when you can focus on doing those things quickly because you don't have to think about getting the technique right.

klc123
Veteran Member

Lmao inheritly fast feet, ive got news mate, you dont inherit any physical attributes otherwise sportsmen would be bred together to produce super kids.

Ronaldo used ankle weights and practised all his tricks for ages, which meant when he took the weights of he was extremely fast and had brilliant technieque.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

klc123 wrote:Lmao inheritly fast feet, ive got news mate, you dont inherit any physical attributes otherwise sportsmen would be bred together to produce super kids.
Are you kidding? Of course you inherit physical traits! A while ago I posted that's the main reason why people go pro. A lot of people replied and I realized that my original thought was very far off. But that doesn't mean that some pros don't inherit exceptional physical attributes from their parents.

klc123
Veteran Member

Its impossible to 'inherit' traits like speed and natural ability, if that was so then every single human would be exeptional at everything they do but they are obviously not. You can however build muscel, every single pro footballer has spend years of time training, thats why their pro, not coz their dad was good.

Norm

get a cone do step overs as fast as you can. don't stop, but if you hit the cone drop down and do 10 push ups get up and do it again. Do it for 5 min each until you got it down. if you never hit the ball you're going to slow.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

klc123 wrote:Its impossible to 'inherit' traits like speed and natural ability, if that was so then every single human would be exeptional at everything they do but they are obviously not. You can however build muscel,
You've got that backwards. If there was no inheriting traits then every single human being would be good at everything because everyone would have started on an equal playing field. That's obviously not the case.

Take a Olympic 100-meter sprinter, (let's pretend there are no steroids involved). Yes, they've been training their whole life, but that's not the only reason they are an Olympian. In addition to a life's worth of training they have good genetics that help them be able to reach a fast top speed, keep the right body proportion, etc. If you take a someone who isn't naturally as fast you can train them and train them some more for their whole life, but they'll never be an Olympian. (They could be a soccer player, but sprinting is more a black and white example.)

Besides those points, you can't honestly just ignore the science of heredity, can you?

That's pretty ignorant :roll:

I'll admit that I have written some biased, maybe unrealistic posts in the past. But I get pissed when people say genetics have nothing to do with things because they are so wrong. Naturally I've very slow. I train so much harder than people who are naturally fast but they'll always be faster. There are many set backs that an athlete cannot control, but a true, elite athlete is one who knows how to deal with these set backs and counteract them with things that are in their control.

Example:

Someone who isn't as fast could have amazing footwork.

Someone who isn't extremely skilled could be fast, fit, and strong.

Someone who isn't the fastest or most skilled can have a sh**load of heart.

Now, you can go on saying that there are no such things as 'good genes', but before you reply, actually thing about what you're saying and make sure that you're not just blabbering, because that's what it sounds like to me.

klc123 wrote:every single pro footballer has spend years of time training, thats why their pro, not coz their dad was good.
No one ever said that genes are the only things pros have going for them and that they never trained. But it really amazes me how you can imply that the right amount of training can make anyone as good as a professional player, because some people will just never be good enough, and it's not always a case of them just not training enough.

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

Actually most of your physical abilities such as speed are inherited... Genetics plays the largest role in determining attibutes such as your top speed. However, not many people actually reach their full potential (such as top speed).
You can train as much as you want but you are never going to exceed your top speed. Its those who train (reaching their potential) and have the right genetics who have a greatest chance of becoming pro or the best. But, it doesn't mean if you don't have the right genetics you can't become pro or the best, look at players who don't have outstanding physical attributes but are still some of the best in the game such as Pirlo.

If you still don't believe what I'm saying, Theo Walcott has said himself that he credits his speed to his family, saying how his entire family was all fast. But obviously without training, he definitely wouldn't be one of the fastest players in the world.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Yeah klc, genes determine more than just your eye and skin color, I know there is no "fast legs" gene, but genetics cover bone structure and such, so yes, some people will be naturally more athletic or suited to one sport than another person may be.

Anyways by "inherently fast feet", I wasn't really talking about from birth. I was using the phrase to diminish the importance of the skill in light of improving technique. I meant that C Ronaldo had fast feet before training stepovers like he does now... so yes fast feet mean fast stepovers, but skill and practicing will make your stepovers more natural looking and more deceptive.

JMack7

i heard from somebody, that Cristiano Ronaldo used to put small weights around his feet when he was younger nad he just progressed in fast feet and dangles

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

JMack7 wrote:i heard from somebody, that Cristiano Ronaldo used to put small weights around his feet when he was younger nad he just progressed in fast feet and dangles
Yeah he did use weights. Im not sure if its true or not, but i heard that ankle weights can damage your ankles.

I think genes play a part, there certainly are some players who can beat players more easily, and it just seems so natural to them.

If you have that kind of instinct, and you can pull off a move at the right place at the right time, a majority of the time you dont really need speed. However, yes it is essential. Repetition in isolation worked for me.
Sig by me

JMack7

practicing and making the moves like like natural to you and like had2bharry said, genes do play a part, if you're part of a naturally athletic family you're bound to be good, but if you have a family that is like super fat and sh*t and doesn't take care of themselves, you're probably gonna follow in their footsteps

user1101

Had2bHarry wrote:Im not sure if its true or not, but i heard that ankle weights can damage your ankles
This is true - ankle weights can cause serious injury but this usually occurs because people use them incorrectly. Ankle weights ar supposed to be used for muscle development exercises such as leg raises, etc. - not plyometrics and agility training.

OK, sorry for going off topic from here, but many people seem confused about this genetics thing, so I will answer as simply as I can.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many long distance runners from countries such as Kenya and Ethiopia, but you never see any sprinters representing these nations?

Have you ever wondered why countries such as Jamaica and Nigeria are able to produce such fast athletes, but have zero long distance runners?

First of all, some stats:

Wetere Gelelcha - fastest man in Ethiopia - 100m time: 10:15

Tom Musinde - National 100m sprint record holder for Kenya - 100m time: 10.26 (I think it was the guy with the nike tick for his avatar who said guys at his club run a 10:30 100m. Ask them if they want to be national champion for Keyna)

Usain Bolt - 100m World record holder (therefore also fastest Jamaican 100m ever) - 100m time: 9.72

Asafa Powell - 2nd fastest Jamaican - 100m time: 9.74

Olusoji Fasuba - Previous WR holder, fastest man in Nigeria - 100m time: 9.85

Weird, huh?
How is it that the difference between the fastest man in Jamaica and the fastest man in Kenya is a STAGGERING 0.54 seconds?!?!?

Maybe the Kenyans just dont like sprinting?

Now, in all seriousness, has anyone ever heard of muscle fibres?

For the truants, special people, and those without attention spans, read the following:

http://www.isokinetics.net/advanced/mus ... rtypes.htm

Now, a summary for those who cant read white text.

Skeletal muscle fibres are not all the same. The most basic categorisation of these muscle fibres is by colour - the red muscle fibres and the white muscle fibres.

They can be categorised further (into type I, IIa, IIb), but this is not necessary at this point.

Now, you may have heard of fast and slow twitch muscle fibres before, but what exactly are they and what do they do?

The red muscle fibres are known as slow twitch muscle fibres. These muscle fibres contain:

- Large amounts of myoglobin
- Many mitochondria
- Many blood capillaries

They also:

- Generate ATP by the aerobic system, hence the term oxidative fibers
- Split ATP at a slow rate
- ... and are resistant to fatigue

If you aspire to be a long distance athlete, these are the muscle fibres you want.

The white muscle fibres are known as fast twitch muscle fibres. These muscle fibres contain:

- Low myoglobin content
- Few mitochondria
- Few blood capillaries
- Large amount of glycogen

They also:

- Split ATP very quickly
- ... and fatigue easily

If your dream is to become an olympic sprinter, these are the muscle fibres for you.

Now you may be asking youself, what does this mean?

This means that a percentage of your muscle fibres are white and the rest are red. Lets look at an example.

Ken is a Kenyan. He has 70% red muscle fibres and 30% white muscle fibres.

Jay is a Jamaican. He has 70% white muscle fibres, and 30% red muscle fibres.

These guys decide to have a race. The winner of the race will be King of the World. The loser will not. Ken suggests that they run 10 laps of the oval which, for some reason, equals out to 4000m.

Ken wins.

Any idea why?

But Jay wants to be King of the World. He says that they should have another race, but this time, it will be a sprint. They measure out 100m and then sprint.

Jay wins.

Ken demands a rematch.

Jay wins again.

Now, I am not saying that any Jamaican sprinter will beat any Kenyan "sprinter", and that any Kenyan runner will beat any Jamaican "runner". I am saying that as a collective group, Jamaicans can sprint faster than the Kenyays, and the Kenyays can out-marathon the Jamaicans.

You may now be wondering why is it that most Kenyans have a greater percentage of red muscle fibres, and most jamaicans have a greater percentage of white muscle fibres.

The answer is simple

genetics.

The genes of an individual determine the white:red muscle fibre percentage of that individual.

Olympic sprinters have a white muscle fibre percentage of about 80. That's right, 80%. Those who excel in the long distance events, however, have the opposite (aproximately 80% red muscle fibres)

The genetic component of muscle fiber type can not be overlooked when it comes to athletic ability and performance. The fact is that if you are born with a greater percentage of white muscle fibres, you will be a better sprinter that someone who is identical to you in every way, except that they have a greater percentage of red muscle fibres.

Although olympic athletes are blessed with this genetic advantage, athletes are made, not born. These olympians, and just about all athletes have dedicated their lives to their chosen sport(s) and train evry single day.

If you are the offspring of the fastest man and woman (over 100m) in Jamaica, there is no gaurantee that you will be an Olympic athlete, or even any sort of athlete. The fact is, however, you will have a much greater chance at becoming a world champion sprinter than the offspring of the fastest man and woman (over 41km) in Kenya.

This example of muscle fibres is only one example of the many different inherited traits which can help one excel at sport. I hope this has cleared a few things up, and if anyone has any disagreement with anything I've written then please correct me. After all, we're all still learning.

Also, did you know, Lance Armstrongs resting heart rate is 28?

....wow!

EDIT: fk i should have saved this for my 50th post.