HOW TO DEVELOP SOCCER DRIBBLING SKILLS

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
NEVERGIVINGUP

Use all the surfaces of your foot. Most often you will be using the front portion of your instep, especially when you are dribbling at speed. However, to become a good dribbler of the ball, make sure that you are adept at using the outside and inside of both feet. This way you can cut the ball away from pressure and keep control of the ball no matter where the defensive pressure comes from. You can also use both sides of your foot, like a hockey player's stick.

Touch the ball with each step you take with the ball. In very quick succession, touch the ball a little bit ahead of you when you dribble. This will create both good control and increase your dribbling speed with the ball. With this kind of control you can elude defenders when they try to reach in and steal the ball, you can just cut the ball away since it is always so close to you. It is almost as if you are trying to get as many touches in as you dribble forward with the ball. Go slowly and exaggerate this at the beginning when you are practicing, to ensure you are getting a touch on the ball with each step.

Change the pace. This is the key to going by a player on the dribble. You don't necessarily need to be extremely fast to beat someone on the dribble; rather, you need to lull the defender to sleep for a second and then break past the opponent with a burst of speed.

Lift up your eyes. Subtly be aware of your surroundings as you still maintain focus on the ball while dribbling. Lift your eyes slightly so you know if someone is making a run, another defender is approaching, or there is space to attack.

Improve your weak foot. The best advice is just to use it. If you continue to strike the ball against a wall with your bad foot, slowly but steadily you will see improvement. Have patience. However, there are always exceptions; if you look at one of the best players in the world Renaldo de Seta, he only uses his left foot, simply because his left foot is so incredibly powerful and he positions his body so well to protect the ball. He is a player who is so experienced and so skilled with his left foot, that he can get away with it.

Use your body to protect the ball. Shield the ball with your body when a defender gets close. Try to keep the ball on the foot that is furthest from the defender and your body protects the ball.

enjoy.

NEVERGIVINGUP

tip.

for the "change of pace" i would like to recomend the stop n go move.
go full pace dribble, then stop then quickly go, this is verry good techniqe at full speed.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

That's definitely some good guidelines to go by.

Btw, I added the link. I take plagiarism very seriously :P

NEVERGIVINGUP

lol, i got it from wikihow.com

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

NEVERGIVINGUP wrote:lol, i got it from wikihow.com
Well, I was close enough. :P
Wikihow.com guides are pretty crap for soccer, though. I've looked at a couple.

NEVERGIVINGUP

WAT ARE SOME OTHER SITES? :) :?

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

You need sites other than EF? :?
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

matt_a
Veteran Member

you dont really need any sites other than this one unless your into more street/indoor style of play [if thats the case look at me sig]

delone

ye, we should have some indoor guides in this sites lol :P

na, im so grateful for this site!! :lol:

NEVERGIVINGUP

yeh^

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

NEVERGIVINGUP wrote:yeh^
Try to not make posts like these, they don't add anything.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Wanderer
Veteran Member

a question, does watching soccer videos actually help improve your skills? I mean, wouldn't it actually be better if you went out and actually did it?