Appropriate Dribbling?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
NEVERGIVINGUP

hello, im new to the forum's and this is my 1st question.

when is it appropriate to take on defenders?, because i dont realy see much 1v1's in 1 game in pro soccer, what i do is beat 1 or 2 players and find som1 free.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Whenever you know that you can beat the defender or two without your team losing possession of the ball.

David_93

You should beat the defender 1v1, when you challenge a defender, and it's enough space behind the defender that you could put a cross or a shot in. But if you have a man who is able to a play a 1-2 pass to you, then it's often better to pass. A rule is: Pass when you can pass, dribble if you can't pass.

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Always keep your head up for opportunities to pass as well mate, and remember - when you have the ball, you control and dictate the flow and plays of the game. Ignore the teammate who's heavily marked screaming for the ball, make some space, keep your head up and if you see that space, that's when to beat the defender; or simply for fun/humour like I do - taking on those defenders to make space for yourself and the exhiliration of beating the man, usually for me to get that shot on goal or the vital/killer pass..

AznSpike42
Sophomore Member

Dribbling should be used to:

1) Fill up space to draw in defenders so that you can pass to an open teammate

2) Create space for passing or shooting opportunities

3) As a last resort to keep possession

But like the others have said, passing the ball is more important than dribbling because it creates opportunities against the defense. Taking on more then 2 defenders is selfish in my opinion and it holds the ball. Quick passing is key in soccer, dribbling is a tool to create passing opportunities, unless your playing Futsal.

delone

thanks ppl appreciate the help. if taking 2 players is selfish, why does ronaldo, zidane, ronaldihno etc take on like 10 playerS sumtimes?

shahensha
Veteran Member

cause they got mad skillz man

zcm12

No, always dribble when you have space. when you hit a defender and can get around him then do it meanwhile be looking for a pass so when you get around the defence you can pass the ball off. If you know you can do it do it usually there is only one or two players on a team who can do that so if you can just make that your role in the team. Yeah I hate it when your team mates are yelling for the ball and you know their gonna whiff it up but they won't stop yelling.

keller8
Veteran Member

Dribbling is just one of the waepons in the arsenal of a football player. Some players, such as Fabregas, aren't always pulling the fancy moves of Robinho and Ronaldinho, but are reducing defences to dust with their amazing passes.

The key with dribbling, is to dribble when you have sufficient time and space, and when it is a better option than a pass. Watch Maradona's Goal Of The Century. He had time and space, so he moved the ball forwards with dribbling. When he saw no better oppitunities with a pass, he decided to take on the English defence and shoot.

Dribbling is a skill to create opportunities for a pass or shot. A pass however, is in almost all cases, better than a dribble. In the words of Bill Shankly, "Football is a simple game, based on the giving and taking of passes". Shankly's words highlight the most fundamental and useful skill in football. Hope what I say helps you. Good luck improving.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

ExpertFootballer

I dribble to clear space and push up. I can get through half a field with dribbling, some defenders are scared to tackle me.
I normally dribble to score goals, though. Or try to, a lot of the times it never goes like I planned, because there are so many defenders in certain areas and I if I go through them I will be trapped in a area where I will be exposed, so I am forced to pass the ball.

Basically, dribbling is for progression.
I also manage to dribble from protection of getting tackled, because a lot of the times, if I don't dribble, I will get tackled, because if I pass, someone will tackle me, because a pass takes like 3 seconds or so to do. Or if players are getting marked or if there is no one in front of me to pass to, I dribble then.

And lots of other different situations...[/quote]