not enough time frustration

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
deano7

I dedicate my every minute of my every day to football, but i am getting really frustrated that i cant practice all the things i want to practice and improve on, and because of this i find myself over practicing all the time and getting burnt out and having bad performances in matches... does anyone else ever do this?

Theres just so much i want to improve...
Never Criticise your own ability.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Are you crazy.Train all day?
The best is to train 1 or 2 hours a day but intensive.You will improve more than train all day but just messing around.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I've felt the same way. I made the same mistakes you're making now -- trying to improve on everything at once, because I felt like I was falling behind everywhere. Through months of trial and error I realized that was plainly not working. I focused on 1 or 2 things at a time and I mastered my basic skills until I could do everything with my eyes closed.

By focusing on 1 specific thing for 1 hour to 1.5 hours every day with only 30-45 minutes of work on other skills I progressed very quickly and I got a lot better in a short amount of time.

No matter what you think you need to improve on just choose 1-2 things per week, or better, per month. Work hard in a shorter time frame and when you feel confident with that skill, change it for one you don't feel as confident with.

This method has worked for me, but you just need to figure out what works for YOU. Everyone improves in different ways through different types of training. If we were all alike then there would be no need for the 1,000s of different drills that there are.

Do some reading, look at some guides, and relax. You can't enjoy the game without relaxing.

Good Luck!

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

i just watched somethin on FSC that said that they thought the U.S Mens National team in a sense "overtrained" and thats why they were pretty dull in their Olympic qualifiers...

Great advice Soccer4Life... :D
sig by 2brown347

Rocky
Veteran Member

So when you feel confident at something you should stop practicing it?

no disrespect, but that doesn't make sense...

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Rocky wrote:So when you feel confident at something you should stop practicing it?

no disrespect, but that doesn't make sense...
If you read it that way then I see where you're coming from. But I left a 30-45 minute block for practicing ALL skills, usually in drills that incorporate multiple movements like dribbling through a set of cones, faking out a defender, then shooting into the bottom corner of a goal. If you work on your main weakness for 1+ hours, and other skills for 30+ minutes then you will see improvements.

deano7

cheers for the advice... I do train very intensely a typical day would be training with my team and hour of ball work by myself and some weights... But the probs is i also wanna work on speed agility plyometrics etc but you cant do it all at once lol grrrr.... even if i miss a day of training it kills me!!! I have so many niggles that i jus train on and force myself!! Im an addict i feel guilty if i miss a day of my own training lol

Im looking to improve:

Ball work : Long balls, Heading, first touch
Physical : strength, speed, fitness, agility

All the above whilst playing matches lol its impossible im guessing i should maybe leave out the fitness do like a few weeks of intense speed and agility then make it 1 a week then move onto the ball work or summin?
Never Criticise your own ability.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Really you need to work on fitness before speed and agility. You won't see as good of results from speed work if you do it before working on fitness instead of after. I recommend a few weeks of just some good fitness sessions with a warm up consisting on drills for running techniques (high knees, bounding, skipping) and ladder drills. That was you get a little agility work in your warm-up but you're still focusing on fitness. After you can do weights or strength work.

That's just my personal recommendation. :wink:

Edit: When I say work on fitness before speed and agility I don't mean before in a session, I mean build your fitness a few weeks before starting a speed program.