Penalty Taking tips

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
delone

Penalty Taking Tips From The Wolves Academy

These tips were kindly provided by Kevin Wilson, Youth Coach, Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club.

Penalty taking can be a daunting task and takes great nerve and courage. To help you, Kevin has kindly provided some excellent tips to help you beat the keeper. On the same note, any keepers reading this will also gain a good insight into what to expect from top penalty takers.

Kevin advises that if you can achieve 2 out of these 3 pointers then you have a greater chance of scoring.

1. Accuracy: this is obviously the most essential part of penalty taking - getting your shot on target.

2. Power: using the force of your shot to blast it past the keeper.

3. Deception: this involves disguising your shot to send the keeper the wrong way or leave him guessing as to where you're going to place the ball.

As Kevin says, you will need to achieve a combination of 2 of the 3 tips to beat the kee per and accuracy will always be involved.

That means you are more likely to score if:

1. You combine Accuracy with Power or...
2. You combine Accuracy with Deception.

Thank you to Kevin Wilson and Wolverhampton Wanderers for providing a great insight into penalty taking. Kevin Wilson runs The Wolves Soccer Schools and Training Programs at the Wolves Academy Dome, covering the West Midlands area of the UK.

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

I've found watching the hips of the player taking the PK really helps in guessing which way it's going, and I'll tend to wait a split-second after the kick so I can fully commit the right way rather than be embarassed and totally fooled. Coming from my experience in goals. 90% of right-footed players take their PK's to the left side/corner/roof etc so I tend to aim for the right. I also practice taking PK's with both feet so I can have a two-foot advantage.

Taking penalties themselves is a different matter for me, I used to feign my run-ups and then hop & jump etc (which I still do in moderation) along with starting my penalties from the wrong side (looking like I was going to hit it with my left, then switching @ the last second & using my right instead, or using the outsep/outside of my right foot) but now I simply focus all my energy into where I'm going to place the ball.

I don't even look at the keeper's face (although I recognise his body positioning), and simply place it into the left or right corner (preferably left, shooting across my body) of the net. Pick a spot, choose it, and entirely focus on it for your PK, don't change your mind or let anything else distract you.

Buddy08

Alexio1092 wrote: Pick a spot, choose it, and entirely focus on it for your PK, don't change your mind or let anything else distract you.

This is essential. If you hesitate or second guess yourself during a pk...kiss it goodbye. Thats for both sides of the ball as well. As a goalie you should be ready to fully commit to one side once the ball is kicked. If you second guess yourself, your left still standing in the middle of the goal with the ball in the back of the net.

Taking the pk you should just pick out your spot. Do what Alexio1092 said just lower your head and don't look at the keeper, but know where he is. Pick out your corner and make sure you get it on frame.

Hope it helps

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Buddy08 wrote:
Alexio1092 wrote: Pick a spot, choose it, and entirely focus on it for your PK, don't change your mind or let anything else distract you.

This is essential. If you hesitate or second guess yourself during a pk...kiss it goodbye. Thats for both sides of the ball as well. As a goalie you should be ready to fully commit to one side once the ball is kicked. If you second guess yourself, your left still standing in the middle of the goal with the ball in the back of the net.

Taking the pk you should just pick out your spot. Do what Alexio1092 said just lower your head and don't look at the keeper, but know where he is. Pick out your corner and make sure you get it on frame.

Hope it helps
So I should just commit to a side as soon as the ball is kicked when I'm playing keeper? Because if I'm unsure I tend to wait if they're not looking fully confident or professional in their approach, I tend to wait if I'm successfully intimidating them by staring at them (or alternatively if it's a girl and I'm trying to up the sex appeal, winking and the "call me" sign, could that earn me a yellow card?) along with stretching obviously across the goal and licking my lips and such (anything really to put them off if they're sneaking glances at me). :P

cyxstudio

Every keeper has its own preferred diving side. Like we have strong and weak foot. Observe his weaker diving side and shoot towards there, even he got it right he may not be able to save it.

united10
Veteran Member

cyxstudio wrote:Every keeper has its own preferred diving side. Like we have strong and weak foot. Observe his weaker diving side and shoot towards there, even he got it right he may not be able to save it.
how dou you know which side is his weak one?

cyxstudio

heehehe .... Good question... that will need some observe. Or you can guess through seeing which leg does he use to take goal kick. Obviously that is his strong feet and you should attempt the other side.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Here is, in my opinion, the greatest of all time discussing his penalties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qobugiyf35s

and yes he is fat in this video

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Davidson9 wrote:Here is, in my opinion, the greatest of all time discussing his penalties

Yeah that's a great video mate, suprised that Maradona's really let himself go that much though..it's interesting though with that style of spot-kick taking, what if the keeper just waited on his line for him to shoot? So he couldn't take it to the opposite side of your dive?

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Alexio1092 wrote:
Davidson9 wrote:Here is, in my opinion, the greatest of all time discussing his penalties

Yeah that's a great video mate, suprised that Maradona's really let himself go that much though
that video is king of old, he has lost about 90% of that fat

ExpertFootballer

Shooting the ball with power is accuracy.
Shoot the ball with power, but concentrate.
For example, do not attempt to try the hardest shot you have ever did, it will not have a gaurantee on it going in.

Basically... what I am trying to say. Shoot the ball firm (hard-firm... lol) and pick where you want to shoot at.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

there are 3 penalty styles I use:
1.my normal one
i set the ball down, take a look at the keeper and glance at the opposite corner i'm going to shoot, i approach the ball like i'm taking a free kick and curl it into the top corner usually the top left (i'm left footed). it may sound arrogant of me to say i 'curl it into the top corner' but i have never missed a peno doing it this way (my penalty is very accurate nearly inch perfect, but it took LOADS of practice)

2.what i do if i'm feeling ultra confident
i set the ball down, take a good long look at the keeper and shape as if i'm gonna curl the ball to the left post, but instead i kinda clip the ball with the edge of my foot closest to the heel and the ball skids (pretty quick) into the right bottom corner. this is very stylish but can go wrong (and has done for me in the past!)

3.what i do if the keeper looks like he's about to sh*t himself
i set the ball down, slowy track straight back about 5 steps STARING the keeper down, during my run up i never take my eyes off him even when i strike the ball (with my instep low for one of the corners) i never take my eyes off him. i sometimes even wait for the keeper to dive or shift his weight one way. you would be surpised how intimadated some keepers get, but it has to be well rehearsed so you don't scuff the shot.

but the two things i always have for all my peno's (well try to) is
confidence
beleive that when you take the penalty YOU WILL SCORE just keep saying to yourself 'i am the sh*t' and 'this will be the best peno ever'

a made up mind
before i even set up the ball i know where or at least how (which penalty style) i'm going to shoot. second guessig yourself will almost always half your chances of scoring.

notice that both of these things are mental issues, the difference between winning and losing is all in the mind

''your own self doubt is your greatest enemy''

Juve

most of the time if the penalty taker is right footed then it will go left, but if they ae left footed it will go right, check it out

Enezi
Sophomore Member

Alexio1092 wrote:90% of right-footed players take their PK's to the left side/corner/roof etc so I tend to aim for the right.

[/b]
haha i'm right footed and i always shoot to the right, not across my body...

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I'm left footed and I place it high in the top left corner. The keeper will never reach it because keepers always dive low and across the goal, never high.