how would you try to stop CR???

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
matt_a
Veteran Member

firstly id think of him without his championship aura - id think of him as a regular player but one whos probably gonna take me on...because if you think of him like a dribbling superstar - hes already halfway past you

when it gets to it though - id slow him down - jockey him and if he makes a mistake [unlikely, but possible] id pounce - if not hopefully by that stage another defender would join the contest....if not - still jockey him and [try] not give him a run at me

what would be easier still would be simply to not let him get the ball in the first place - im opposed to man-marking [outside of set plays of course] but it would be effective if you have a player on your team as fit/fast as him

powell
English Meister

I'd just try keep tight too him then usher him onto his left foot becuase i know he doesnt score my with it and then try push him wide towards the corner flag by then i would be expecting help from the 2nd defender.

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

i will slide or just bump him down. :D
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Last edited by BGbeast23 on 29 Mar 2008, 01:08, edited 2 times in total.

Flyingmoose
Veteran Member

play physical and he will be intimdated by you and avoid you. That's what I do when someone plays physcial on me (sorry it's like an instinct). you can see he was intimidated in the first video vs cole. His last touch was like "hey i dont wanna stay here for too long better get out and quick." His fear of getting killed distracted his concentration on the ball and he lost it. Also stay on your toes and never on the back foot. look at the ball.

studentoflife
New User

I found that if someone likes doing alot of step overs, than looking at there hips works better than looking at the ball. That way you are less likely to fall for the fakes but can still see all the movement. Any one elso do this?

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

studentoflife wrote:I found that if someone likes doing alot of step overs, than looking at there hips works better than looking at the ball. That way you are less likely to fall for the fakes but can still see all the movement. Any one elso do this?
Thats true.....you can much better follow their movements if you focus one their hips and the way they are balancing then on their feet...
sig by 2brown347

redrover365
Veteran Member

I would hire someone to break his kneecaps before the game... then i wouldnt have to play him duh! :wink:

If you believe IWGP's dog should not die of leukemia, then show him your support!

keller8
Veteran Member

Just jockey and he'll eventually dive and lose the ball. Nah, I'm not a Ronaldo hater, what I'd really do is just jockey and hold him up until my other defenders can help me, wouldn't fly into the rtackle, and watch the ball.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

i can almost guarantee that he would run through anyone here who would try to make a challenge on him, even if you are jockeying he would beat you, if he does it with such ease against premiership players, i dont think the EF forum would put up much of a fight

Juve

im sorry but some of them premiership footballers are honestly just sh*t, half of them dont deserve to be there, but as i remember last years champs league, i didnt see no ronaldo magic when he completly got owned by gattuso, and i dont hate ronaldo

expert
Site Admin

im sorry but some of them premiership footballers are honestly just sh*t
Yet, they're still way better than anybody here. Although I hate his guts, C.Ronaldo is one of the top players in the game today so yeah, I doubt anybody of us could stop him. Even if you tried to jockey him, he's so fast with the ball at his feet that he'd just run around you. All I would do is try to keep up and foul him if he tries to make me look stupid.

mak9

this question is something I have been thinking about lately...

like expert said...the idea of jocking him is not possible especially since he will be running forwards while defenders either have to run sideways or backwards which awkward if you want to keep up with him.

the next problem is...thanks to him there is a whole new generation of players who are going to play like him and be flashy. It is important to have some ideas in to stoping them.

The best I say is to look at all his plays that were stopped successfully by defenders. A post above mine showed how ashley cole stop him, if anyone here finds any more clips add them here since it will be very beneficial for us when he have to defend.

here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmcc28Pa ... re=related

although i don't support the idea of getting violent against the player, there are some nice defending in the video which successfully stopped his dribbling.

mak9

some clips of gattusso stopping him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbf4jt0R ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywsELvlB ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htXyEQdw09k

notice how gattusso swallowed his pride and let cr meg himself. After that he managed to give some hit to his ankles.

this is the stuff that takes to stop him

here's a clip of ashley cole stopping him multiple times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4djizr5VT8&NR=1

expert
Site Admin

the idea of jocking him is not possible
A strong, fast defender could stop him. In fact, a lot of tricks he does don't work although you'll rarely see that in Youtube videos.
the next problem is...thanks to him there is a whole new generation of players who are going to play like him and be flashy
Players like him are one in a million so I don't think you can generalize in that way.
Also, I don't think it would work to have more than 2 guys like him on the same team. It's always better to have a variety of players with different styles/abilities.

PS. I have an EF exclusive right here: Soccer4Life pwns Ronaldinho