Suggestions about Speed Routine

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

I know I've read alot of the guides and posts on how to become faster, but I decided to make my own based on my ideas and I want suggestions from you guys as to if it'll help me or not.

Here goes:

- Sprint Test (150m sprint, looking to see if there's improvement or not)

1. 150-m track (Every half lap 20 reps of walking lunges, 4 continous sets, 2 mega sets, bicep curls (just for building bicep muscle) when not doing walking lunges with straight bar)

2. Stair jumps (increments of stacked steppers, 4, 3, and 2 with spaces inbetween jumping back and forth between sides (which is one rep everytime I go to one side once), and 10 reps, 3 sets)

3. Vertical Leg Press with Free Weight (Maximum amount of full reps (knees almost touch the chest), 4 sets)

4. Exercise Bike (20 minutes, intensity 13 or 15 (out of 20)

5. 150 m track (Sprint circuit, order is: sprint, walk, sprint, jog, walk, jog, sprint, jog, walk (one set), 2-3 sets the, stuff rotates every half lap)

Btw, I do this once or twice a week. So what do you guys think?

redrover365
Veteran Member

I think this is a great plan just do it 2-3 times a week instead of 2. Youll see a lot more improvement faster

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Cool. Did you made this up by yourself? I propaly start doing this in the winter. (It has already snowed here :( .)

Do you think that uphill running will improve speed? Or is it more endurance?

redrover365
Veteran Member

more endurance. For speed you wanna stick to sprints, or long distance running with quick bursts at intervals

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I don't think that program will increase your speed much, if at all. It seems to be much more about endurance. A general speed routine would consist of some plyometrics, agility, quickness, and sprinting drills. The first 3 your program lack completely, and the last one isn't really there either.

First off you're working a lot with your muscles (steps 1-3). From personal experience, you'll want to build your muscles for a while, then start a speed routine with plyometrics. Second, I think step 4 is useless for speed building. Although it may be good for endurance, that's not the goal of your program. Lastly, your 5th step is also not a good speed drill, again good for endurance, but not speed. You'll want more of an interval drill such as running 5x100m sprints with a certain number of seconds of rest between each repetition.