Getting pass a defender that is jockeying

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
infectted
New User

Getting pass a defender that is jockeying

Post by infectted » 13 Oct 2007, 14:57

Hi How do i get pass a player that is good at jockeying and i might be slower than him ? I'm also a defender so i nid to know how other attackers can get pass me. If possible, please also provide solutions on how to counter the " counter jockey " . Thx in advance

MagnumMan3
Sophomore Member

Post by MagnumMan3 » 13 Oct 2007, 15:38

First you may want to try learning new and different moves to try to get past your player without actually using your speed. You may also just look to pass it off and move into space to get around that player ie. a give and go play.

If your looking to defend a player well, just take notes at his chest, wherever his or her chest goes they ahve to go, always be on your toes and try to go in when they are looking down or making a mistak in their dribble. No one is perfect.

Enok
New User

Post by Enok » 13 Oct 2007, 16:05

Don't forwards/wingers use their chest/shoulders to fake?

I always watch the ball, seems to work fairly well.

Thoughts?

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 13 Oct 2007, 18:00

Some tips i would give to you, without having to use "moves" which are not necessary in my opinion, as a defender i can say i dont like it when forwards are just passing the ball off straight away and accurately in a composed manner, also how quick all of your movements are will go a long long way. Make sure you think about what your doing and try to improve your agility, touch and dribbling ability, those are the keys.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 13 Oct 2007, 23:44

well this sub-forum is for defending, not how to get by defenders so i'm moving this to dribbling and ball control

infectted
New User

Post by infectted » 14 Oct 2007, 11:49

sorry for that mod. my 1st post.

redrover365
Veteran Member

Post by redrover365 » 14 Oct 2007, 18:00

1 2 passes work in these situtations

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 15 Oct 2007, 01:00

infectted wrote:sorry for that mod. my 1st post.
that's ok, just letting everyone know that it's been moved so they don't get confused

Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup » 21 Oct 2007, 16:45

I think that the suggestions of passing and 1/2s is a very decent solid idea which can work. However if you look at great players like zidane and ronaldinho who don't have loads of pace but they can get past a defender using there skills. These skills all have one aim to unbalance the defender so you can beat him If you practice these skills then you will be able to beat players even if you don't have buckets of pace. Another point is that i as a defender, when seeing someone running at me doing stepovers coming at me quickly then I tend not to get so close to the attacker so I don't narrow the angles of any forward passes and therefore even if you don't beat the player using skills such as stepovers you can put him off and manipulate his positioning so there is a forward pass possible or if he has backed of to 3 or 4 yards then you can get a shot off. Ofcourse if all else fails pass back, many people think of this as boring, pointless and retreating. Luckily I play with a team with coaches that don't agree with this. Passing back to the defenders or even the goalkeeper can draw the other team out so you can get in behind them or go around them or atleast tire them out. If the othe team doesn't close you down you just play keep ball at the back until they do. Remember if you keep the ball the other team can't score. This has gone a bit off subject though.
Hope this helps you.
NEVERGIVEUP

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 22 Oct 2007, 00:31

I think he is referring to like moves or stuff though to get past a jockeying defender in let's say... a 1v1 situation. Well, the thing with jockeying defenders to flat footed defenders is that because they are so intent on facing one way and blocking you from passing them, their turning reflexes are sometimes hindered so the best way to try to get around them is to just burst suddenly right past them. Take the ball slowly to them, you don't really have to drop a shoulder, as they can move right back into position (they are jockeying they are not stupid). Just run it past them and chase it, in a foot race the person facing the direction of the moving ball always wins (unless you are very very slow).

Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup » 22 Oct 2007, 11:32

I afraid I don't agree with you kakasgotskills pushing it and chasing it will not fool a good defender especially if theres a sweeper behind him.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 22 Oct 2007, 12:16

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Just run it past them and chase it, in a foot race the person facing the direction of the moving ball always wins (unless you are very very slow).
No good, the defender would just leave more space between himself and the attacker when jockeying. Although there is this one trick where you kinda lob or pass the ball to one side of the defender and run round and get it.

Ya can use fakes and feints also. Use your creativity. Quite a few ideas in the "Moves you've made up" thread..

Also, if you're in the penalty area or near it, you can flick the ball to your jocker's arm to get a foul. :D

TheLongShot
New User

jockeying

Post by TheLongShot » 24 Nov 2007, 21:42

Alright against a good jockeying defender, simply attempting to run past him will rarely work. The point of jockeying is to get yourself into a more agile, balanced, athletic position. Therefore, even if you are faster than him, his first step should always be into your line to the ball, in essence cutting off your angle and winning space, thus you lose the ball.

Well, what do you do then? You need some kind of fake/move/whatever you wanna call it. You need to throw him out of his good body position that gives him his quickness and balance. Pace means very little when your running by an off-balanced defender, but it does help as it is more difficult for a defender to maintain his body position at speed, which is what seperates a good defender from a great defender.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 24 Nov 2007, 23:25

Thanks for giving some great insight, and a great first post. Welcome to the forums, stick around. :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

keller8
Veteran Member

Re: jockeying

Post by keller8 » 24 Nov 2007, 23:33

TheLongShot wrote:Alright against a good jockeying defender, simply attempting to run past him will rarely work. The point of jockeying is to get yourself into a more agile, balanced, athletic position. Therefore, even if you are faster than him, his first step should always be into your line to the ball, in essence cutting off your angle and winning space, thus you lose the ball.

Well, what do you do then? You need some kind of fake/move/whatever you wanna call it. You need to throw him out of his good body position that gives him his quickness and balance. Pace means very little when your running by an off-balanced defender, but it does help as it is more difficult for a defender to maintain his body position at speed, which is what seperates a good defender from a great defender.
This should be post of the year! and a first post! WOW! You're better than me!

Anyway, an elastico might work. When good defenders jockey, they watch th ball. They will move to the side on the first touch, then you take the second and run around them. Simple! Although they may have trained to counter elastico...... Anyway, you'll find a trick or move or whatever to get around them. Keep trying! if you can't find one, go to
viewtopic.php?t=6490. Its a 1v1 dictionary. There is tons of moves, find one that works for your situation.
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."