lack of pace

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Post Reply
gerry2805
New User
Posts: 5
Joined: 05 Apr 2007, 21:08

Post

Hi i have just started the new season and have been working on my close control, i think im getting better. The thing is i play left back / wing and lack genuine pace so if i beat someone i find it hard to get away from them and open up space for the pass any tips. :?:

steve-0
Veteran Member
Posts: 931
Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 22:18
Location: Virginia

Post

then don't beat ppl, jus look for the pass, and if the pass isn't on then jus clear the ball
Image

Evan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1023
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 00:41

Post

gerry2805 wrote:Hi i have just started the new season and have been working on my close control, i think im getting better. The thing is i play left back / wing and lack genuine pace so if i beat someone i find it hard to get away from them and open up space for the pass any tips. :?:
start speed training.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.
Image

belija91
Veteran Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 16 Jul 2006, 07:25

Post

Its been covered before, search the forums for:

plyometrics, speed training, strength training etc.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

gerry2805
New User
Posts: 5
Joined: 05 Apr 2007, 21:08

Post

OK fair point i just meant that there are players who lack real pace but can still beat / turn players. Requilme for example. What do these type of players do to compensate.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member
Posts: 2159
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 20:15

Post

They have a good sense of first touch, they can put the ball into open space and they keep the ball close to them so they don't lose it.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski
Posts: 6202
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 04:23
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post

They make quicker decisions. It's how good your touch, technique and focus are to make such quick decisions.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

mef
Senior Member
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Apr 2007, 15:26

Post

Just remember that speed isn't essential to the game (though it does help) and play to your strengths. You're not fast so don't try to beat people with speed, instead play the quick give and go or a long cross.

Take me for example: I play center midfield and am slow and not very strong but I have natural long distance running ability, naturally decent skill, and the natural desire to improve my game. I worked on my conditioning as an eleven and twelve year old until nobody can mark me for a whole game. I worked on impoving my dribbling skill to help me get out of tight situations because speed doesn't come into play there, and I generally just worked my but off until I was one of the best player's in the league. Of course that was all long ago; now I'm holed up inside my house with disautonomia...

Speed is overrated anyway. :lol: It's only talked about so much because it's so clearly visible on the playing field.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess
Posts: 2068
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 22:00
Location: USA

Post

mef wrote:Just remember that speed isn't essential to the game (though it does help) and play to your strengths. You're not fast so don't try to beat people with speed, instead play the quick give and go or a long cross.

Take me for example: I play center midfield and am slow and not very strong but I have natural long distance running ability, naturally decent skill, and the natural desire to improve my game. I worked on my conditioning as an eleven and twelve year old until nobody can mark me for a whole game. I worked on impoving my dribbling skill to help me get out of tight situations because speed doesn't come into play there, and I generally just worked my but off until I was one of the best player's in the league. Of course that was all long ago; now I'm holed up inside my house with disautonomia...

Speed is overrated anyway. :lol: It's only talked about so much because it's so clearly visible on the playing field.
Honestly, I think speed is very important. With skill alone, you can be a great player, but with skill AND speed you can be phenomenal. I think anyone can benefit from a speed program.

mef
Senior Member
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Apr 2007, 15:26

Post

soccer4life wrote:
mef wrote:Just remember that speed isn't essential to the game (though it does help) and play to your strengths. You're not fast so don't try to beat people with speed, instead play the quick give and go or a long cross.

Take me for example: I play center midfield and am slow and not very strong but I have natural long distance running ability, naturally decent skill, and the natural desire to improve my game. I worked on my conditioning as an eleven and twelve year old until nobody can mark me for a whole game. I worked on impoving my dribbling skill to help me get out of tight situations because speed doesn't come into play there, and I generally just worked my but off until I was one of the best player's in the league. Of course that was all long ago; now I'm holed up inside my house with disautonomia...

Speed is overrated anyway. :lol: It's only talked about so much because it's so clearly visible on the playing field.
Honestly, I think speed is very important. With skill alone, you can be a great player, but with skill AND speed you can be phenomenal. I think anyone can benefit from a speed program.
I'm not saying that speed isn't a valuable tool and I'm definetly not saying that speed training is a bad idea. I just mean that having pace is just one piece of the puzzle and you shouldn't be obsessing over your speed.

I understand your point though: Henry normally; incredible. Henry without speed; good, but not incredible.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member
Posts: 1754
Joined: 22 Dec 2006, 13:36
Location: Surrey, England , UK

Post

mef wrote:Just remember that speed isn't essential to the game (though it does help) and play to your strengths. You're not fast so don't try to beat people with speed, instead play the quick give and go or a long cross.

Take me for example: I play center midfield and am slow and not very strong but I have natural long distance running ability, naturally decent skill, and the natural desire to improve my game. I worked on my conditioning as an eleven and twelve year old until nobody can mark me for a whole game. I worked on impoving my dribbling skill to help me get out of tight situations because speed doesn't come into play there, and I generally just worked my but off until I was one of the best player's in the league. Of course that was all long ago; now I'm holed up inside my house with disautonomia...

Speed is overrated anyway. :lol: It's only talked about so much because it's so clearly visible on the playing field.
Well you probably dont think speed is important, becos you play the only position where speed isnt important :P Thats centre mid :D

As for gerry, you should always try to improve your speed, by doing plyometrics, explosive sprints etc.

But as you dont have it naturally you cant rely on it and thats means you need to work on your awareness, dont think of yourself as a winger, think of yourself as a midfield player, there are plenty of good wide midfield players as youve said Riquelme for example who dont have particularly great pace.

So what you need to do is make sure you really sharpen up your passing, crossing, dribbling and touch. Turn yourself into a technically very good player, make sure you try to master all your techniques and you can be a real asset to any team in a variety of midfield positions. :)
Image
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

belija91
Veteran Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 16 Jul 2006, 07:25

Post

If you want to try and compensate for your lack of pace by training other things you can, but I suggest you work on speed. With a speed/strength training program, not only will you be faster, but you should get bigger, stronger and become much better player.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

christiano_italia
Sophomore Member
Posts: 25
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 19:57

Post

Well any good defender will get right back on you as soon as you beat him and sometimes defenders are realy fast. So I suggest that as soon as you beet him pass to another team mate even if you have to yell at them GET OPEN!

gerry2805
New User
Posts: 5
Joined: 05 Apr 2007, 21:08

Post

These are all good points especially about honeing your other abilities. I dont think im incredibly slow player especially when chasing back i cant catch most players except for the real speed merchants. Its just when im dribbling i seem to slow down a lot. The new season has started and im started doing a lot of stamina training which should help and also the dribbling (cone) drills in the training section. I played a match tonight and did OK at left back for the 90 min though i find it hard to put the dribbling training into practise in a competitive match. my dribbling is improving in training though i think it may be a confidence issue when it comes to games . thank for the tips though appreciated. :wink:

Post Reply