Dribbling V.S Passing

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
scene

well i just recently got in a great club team down here in So Cal, but the thing is is that i love to dribble but i cant seem to accomodate to the pace of the game. to me it seems like im slowing up our attack by dribbling with the ball. i play the striker role but i have the technique to dribble against opponets but everyone says that there is no point to dribbling, saying that im wasting my time. my teamates say that this has all happened to them once they start playing with better teams the need to do dribbling and tricks is replaced passing. i just wanted to know how you guys feel about passing v.s dribbling? to me you require both but i must admit that dribbling does slow up the pace of your attack.
p.s if any of you could give me advice on how to dribble in fast paced games it would help thanx.

soccer11
Admin

well it doesn't matter how fast of a dribbler you are, passing is always faster than dribbling. if your team runs with a high pace then you're going to have to pass more than dribble. when you recieve the ball, turn and dribble quick and look for a person to pass to. if there is a person open when you get the ball, give it to him right away. just watch how they do it in the EPL.

expert
Site Admin

scene wrote:p.s if any of you could give me advice on how to dribble in fast paced games it would help thanx.
It's simple. Don't do it. The only cases where you should dribble is when
1. you have open space ahead of you
2. you can produce a shot by beating a defender
3. there's too much pressure so that you have do move backwards

DouDou

I am in the process of writing a whole comprehensive guide about dribbling (I have two pages so far), that I will post hopefully on EF end of this month. But I am going to steal a sentence from the introduction. Dribbling is like your Jedi Powers, Master Yoda said " use your Jedi powers for defense never for attack", or my motto "Always pass when you can, Dribble when you must",

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Those 2 posts above pretty much sum it up. Dribble when you have to or you have lots of time.

scene

thanx for all the advice guys.

born2skate

if you have a 1v1 situation take the guy on. if there is a guy behind the first defender pass it.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Just stay onside.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I think that it's just about been summed up, but I've some advice.

When you're playing teams with players whose skill level is equal to or above yours, then try to play quickly and dribble only in the situations expert listed. When I say play quickly, I mean pick up your head and look around before receiving a pass so you know exactly what to do before you have the ball.

scene

thanx alot everyone.

bshechter
New User

expert wrote:
scene wrote:p.s if any of you could give me advice on how to dribble in fast paced games it would help thanx.
It's simple. Don't do it. The only cases where you should dribble is when
1. you have open space ahead of you
2. you can produce a shot by beating a defender
3. there's too much pressure so that you have do move backwards
id like to add to that...

4. to get away from a defender to pass
5. running on wings to cross
6. running on the base line followed by passing it in ensuring that there is no offsides, and running on the baseline also put the defense off balance

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

there's pros and cons to both dribbling and passing, which have been covered pretty well so far. what i want to say is that for my team, when we play in practice, the coach usually makes us play completely possession for the first ten minutes, no shooting allowed. of course we score goals once we're allowed to shoot and go forward more, but honestly, when we're just moving the ball with passes, more space is opened up and it frustrates the other team. try looking for a pass before a dribble, which i know may be against your instinct as a striker, but it will usually open up more options than dribbling, and better ones at that
Hala Galacticos

RonaldoWannabe
New User

Passing is for people who cannot dribble!!

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

RonaldoWannabe wrote:Passing is for people who cannot dribble!!
great logic there :?

but really, passing will be more productive in almost every situation. the ball moves faster. and plus, how does it feel when you make a perfect run and you dont get the ball because your teammate wants to dribble?

pass when you can, dribble when you must.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

newbienyj
Sophomore Member

for me, i feel that it just depends on the situation. for example, i feel that when u are near the goal, i mean near the penalty box, try to dribble past defenders and get a shot. when u are not around the penalty box, i mean near mid-line for example, i think you should just pass the ball, the purpose is get the ball up front without losing possession.
when you are going for a counter-attack, and there is no teammates up front, of course you would dribble past the few defenders and get a goal!