Offensive defense

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Amironi
New User

I've been playing soccer for 3 years and I'm a happy defender and sweeper for a gold team that became third in a league with 16 teams. Well the majority of peoples thoughts is that defense is the least favourite position in soccer and the reasons include humiliation (making errors and giving ball away and getting defeated by attackers) , not getting appreciated and not scoring goals. Now am not explaining myself on the first reason because I am experienced enough and I should be but the other two reasons I would support and so might other defenders. Now my team has an awesome offense and we only failed on one game where the ball territory was more on our side. So because of this I don't get to do my job more efficiently and be proud of myself even if my team wins. I'm a player that always wants something to do so I go up sometimes to help as a midfield. It seems like I don't the guts to go forward because the team relies on me and I need to get back fast in case there is a breakaway. I sometimes go up for corners and if I fail, I have good speed to come back but can you guys tell me any effective ways to get up the field and maybe score goals?

belija91
Veteran Member

You can go up for corners for starters. But you can also swap positions with the midfield every now and then. You can swap many times in the game and help in attack. Or you could be a wing back like roberto carlos but your more of a sweeper right? I know how you feel I use to be a defender but I play striker now simply because I like it more.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

If you wanna go up and down the pitch, dont be a defender, especially a sweeper please :)

There are a variety of positions in the game, to do this, e.g. box to box central midfield, or wing back, if you wanna do that kind of thing, but a team cant rely on a guy who is looking to get into the box when he is also their last line of defence. Look at Daniel Agger, hes very attacking for a central defender but you dont see him get in the box too often, except for set pieces of course. If you wanna score goals as a defender, learn how to head the ball accurately from corners, or learn how to shoot from 35 yards. :D
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

Amironi
New User

The problem is my best position is defense since I mastered everything and learned the most from it. I think I can do good as a forward because I have good accuracy and power with behind the 18 shots, I look up when I have the ball more often and I have a strong head for headers but got to work more on the accuracy. I just think I'll disappoint my coach by doing this since he spent a lot of time teaching me defense and all that.

Tell me a friendly and confident way of asking the coach to swap for practice or game.

mef

Did you say that you want to play an attacking position or play defender but attack more?

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Honestly, if you are playing with a 4 man defense and your sharing the center with another defender, you guys should cover each other spots if either of you go up the field, same with left/right defenders. When you go up someone should be in your spot until you get back. Now, if it's a 3 man defense then you're kinda screwed, but you'll just have to trust the two people left that they'll do their job and jockey the players long enough so that you can get back. Hope this helps.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Welll, there is the Total Football System. You might wanna check it out. Cruyff and the Dutch didn't invent it but they mastered it... or so they say.. :)

Icy
Veteran Member

If you want to play as a forward (which by your last post you do) simply tell your coach that defense isn't as fun as it once was and you think if you play offence you can not only contribute to the team but also have more fun. Personally I play a lot better if I am having fun and that is the reason I asked if I could play as a forward instead of defense.

Also don't think you wasted his time by teaching you how to defend because it is important to defend when on offence also. If you're constantly putting pressure on their back line whenever they have the ball they are bound to mess up atleast once (especially at most of our levels). Offence isn't just about moving the ball around to create a scoring opportunity but you also have to help out the defence by trying to create an error by the other team.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

chis1oa
New User

Like Icy said just approach your coach and tell him you want to give playing forward a shot during practices. However your going to notice that there are some differences in the two positions that might make it a bit difficult for you to adjust right away.

First of all forwards are generally very good at their 1 v 1 skills and they are very creative with the ball. Defense is completely different. In defense you should rarely be engaging in 1 v1 and there is limited options for creativity.

All through high school I played as a sweeper and central defender but recently my coach suggested I try playing as a winger/fullback since I'm not that big(central defenders are usually strong and sturdy on the ball, and not easily pushed off) but I'm very fast have decent endurance. You might want to start with that since it might be easier to adjust to. That way you can begin working on the skills necessary to be an effective part of the attack but still make use of your extensive defensive skills.
"What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity"

Amironi
New User

ya as I said in my first post, I come up as a midfield at time since my team has a good offence so my creativity with the ball is not perfect but it's enough at my level. What I've mastered is controlling the incoming ball which I keep, turn into volleys or head it so I think thats going to be a benifit when am a forward.

Practise is tom and am going to ask so wish me luck. :)

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Amironi wrote:]Practise is tom and am going to ask so wish me luck. :)
You'll be fine, mate :wink:

Just think about how you're going to approach your coach and what you're going to say. Planning is key to situations like this. Even if he says no, you've put the idea in his head.

Midfielder

Soccer4Life wrote:
Amironi wrote:]Practise is tom and am going to ask so wish me luck. :)
You'll be fine, mate :wink:

Just think about how you're going to approach your coach and what you're going to say. Planning is key to situations like this. Even if he says no, you've put the idea in his head.
I don't know what your talking about, but during a game once, our keeper was doing really bad at goal kicks. And I asked if I could take them and he's like "No." so I'm like "Okay". So during the game on the next half, the ball went out for a goal kick and the coach said "Alright, have a go if you want!" and i'm like "Okay!" and I kicked it past halfway for the striker to run on and score!

Now kids, you learnt a very valuable lesson today. Respect your elders, and they will respect you.
"We win and we lose, it's just the way it is."
Skill - Once you have it, you love it!