most intelligent nations in the world

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 08 May 2007, 11:07

Magicfeet wrote:Waves 2 consecutive Funniest Member awards in jcdenton's face

Nyah.

Actually, I think my humour is pretty high brow. Sarcasm is a much underrated art form.

Lighten up, jc. It's just banter. 8)
it's very sad if you're proud to be funniest member on some forum...
usually that means you're an idiot in private life...

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 08 May 2007, 11:50

Hey, it's not a big deal. I was just illustrating the fact that other people seem to think I make a funny every once in a while. Getting an award (I'm assuming my cheque is in the post) in itself isn't that exciting.

And no, I'm not an idiot. Just a guy who questions the fact that Serbia is the 3rd most intelligent nation in the world. If you're going to make such claims, you have to accept that people are going to disagree.

That doesn't mean necessarily mean they are "jealous".

As I said, it's a bit of banter. Lighten up.

Foxmero

Post by Foxmero » 08 May 2007, 12:04

to find out which nation is themsost itnelegient nation we must know what the term intellegient means.
Intellegience is knowledge not smartness. a person can be smart by studying the same concept and learn it but he will learn only that concept and not others. other people that dont study one subject but learn from all sorts of reading books watching documentaries going to meuseam gain more intelgience but does not specifically mean their intellegient. Most iq tests taken are ones about math and language when in reality IQ tests should take on history, science, biology and anatomy to produce a more accurate measure in Intellegience.

Im only 13 hehe
I Will Win The World Cup No Matter What It Takes
Image.

Thanks Shifty_fsu

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 May 2007, 14:12

Actually I thought Magicfeet's post there was pretty funny.
If having a college degree is considered the indicator of general intelligence, the ability to follow through and being prepared to be a contributing member of society then the Measuring UP 2006: National Report Card on Higher Ed draws some conclusive results on which nations are in the top ten and which is the smartest.

Here are the top ten nations with percentage of population (35-64) with a four year degree.

10. Switzerland - 26%

9. Norway - 28%

8. Australia - 28%

7. New Zealand - 29%

6. Denmark - 31%

5. Sweden - 31%

4. Japan - 31%

3. Finland - 31%

2. United States 39%

1. Canada - 41%
Hmmm so not very many Serbians have a masters...
In further IQ news, a new study measured average IQ scores in 23 European nations. Germany topped the list with an average IQ of 107, followed closely by the Netherlands and then—defying Polak-joke expectations—Poland. Serbia sat at the bottom of the list with an average IQ of 89, while Great Britain beat out rival France, 100 to 94. Lead researcher Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster reported that men in the study were, on average, five IQ points more intelligent than women. He added that people in colder, more meteorologically challenged northern and central Europe have larger brains than those in the southeastern part of the continent. Lynn's past work on IQ disparities between races and sexes has been criticized by other scientists as not sufficiently objective, misrepresentative of data and—would you believe it?—racist.
Once again, highly variable results

And on Wikipedia articles (although that's a weak source) Serbia's IQ in 2002 was 93 and in 2006 was 89, so it looks like Serbians are losing intelligence.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 08 May 2007, 14:20

jcdenton wrote:it's very sad if you're proud to be funniest member on some forum...
usually that means you're an idiot in private life...
The same could be said about somebody who is trying to prove to a forum that his country is the most intelligent in the world. Even if it is, I'm not sure why you would want to advertise that. Intelligent people don't go around saying "I'm smart! I'm smart!"... What's the point?
If having a college degree is considered the indicator of general intelligence
It's not. That has a lot to do with each country's educational system, like for example, in some countries higher education is free. In USA, it takes 4 years to get your bachelors + 2 for masters. Also, did you know that the majority of students who enroll in college drop out (in the US, not sure about Canada)

dareliss
Veteran Member

Post by dareliss » 08 May 2007, 17:34

JCDENTON so your saying if we pick random people from serbia all of whem are genius... maybe what profesor did something wrong cause it's impossible what 1000 or 100000 people IQ is going to be over 145 it's impossible what is a fact... i'm not jealous, but think of what you take random people and they are genius? maybe they made iq from serbian profesor's, Cause Germany has highest IQ in The world because they made IQ from Lot's of random people you add up the sum , and divided from the number of people and germany and netherlands has highest IQ, can you give us a web page were it would say in english serbians are most intelegent people in the whole world, actually their GENIUS. do you realize what you're saying?...
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

BosnianNedim

Post by BosnianNedim » 09 May 2007, 02:49

It would be really difficult to hand out IQ tests to people in each country of the world and then have people tally the scores and see which country of the world has the highest IQ. I think this would be really costly and frankly a waste of time to the world.

-Nedim

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 09 May 2007, 04:41

Frankly I think this whole debate is on the more of the idiotic side of things. Who really gives a crap about which nation is the smartest? I mean... I'm quite nationalistic when it comes to talking about the Netherlands, but when I read that the Netherlands is second best in Europe for IQ tests, I was just like. "Oh that is cool... guess the country I want to live in is smart. However I already knew that." People will live where they want, so in no way can you say that one country is smarter than another. One country can have a higher overall score, but how would you know if when you went to the country everyone you talked to was smart. There are idiots well-dispersed all throughout the world. You cannot avoid them. IQ scores will not help you get away from them. IQ scores only measure how you think in a mathematical sense. They do not tell anything about creativity or problem-solving. IQ tests are faulty. We should have already established this.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 09 May 2007, 04:44

iwannagopro wrote:Frankly I think this whole debate is on the more of the idiotic side of things. Who really gives a crap about which nation is the smartest? I mean... I'm quite nationalistic when it comes to talking about the Netherlands, but when I read that the Netherlands is second best in Europe for IQ tests, I was just like. "Oh that is cool... guess the country I want to live in is smart. However I already knew that." People will live where they want, so in no way can you say that one country is smarter than another. One country can have a higher overall score, but how would you know if when you went to the country everyone you talked to was smart. There are idiots well-dispersed all throughout the world. You cannot avoid them. IQ scores will not help you get away from them. IQ scores only measure how you think in a mathematical sense. They do not tell anything about creativity or problem-solving. IQ tests are faulty. We should have already established this.
*borat* Great Success!

Poland's up there too! :lol:

Yeah I totally agree.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 09 May 2007, 18:25

the reason why we didn't have masters is because in our system we don't have bachelor degree, so everyone with 5 years degree gets some kind of diploma which is much stronger than master...
since few years ago we have been using new system from Bolognese declaration...

expert i believe it's the same in Bulgaria... it's basically the same in all previous communist countries...
And on Wikipedia articles (although that's a weak source) Serbia's IQ in 2002 was 93 and in 2006 was 89, so it looks like Serbians are losing intelligence.
wikipedia is not measuring intelligence... Mensa does... their tests are competent only...

Serbia has 3rd greatest percent of intelligent people, Mensa results from 2005 proved it... ENOUGH!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 09 May 2007, 19:03

i think it's pretty pointless in arguing this. there is no real way to tell who is most intelligent. the only way i can think of is to give out the same test to every person in every country in their language...but this is unrealistic

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 09 May 2007, 19:53

soccer11 wrote:i think it's pretty pointless in arguing this. there is no real way to tell who is most intelligent. the only way i can think of is to give out the same test to every person in every country in their language...but this is unrealistic
but then how do you determine that Jews are much intelligent...
they live in many countries but their intelligence is well known...
still you know that without interviewing every single Jew...

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 09 May 2007, 20:04

jcdenton wrote:
soccer11 wrote:i think it's pretty pointless in arguing this. there is no real way to tell who is most intelligent. the only way i can think of is to give out the same test to every person in every country in their language...but this is unrealistic
but then how do you determine that Jews are much intelligent...
they live in many countries but their intelligence is well known...
still you know that without interviewing every single Jew...
i'm sure there are some (and i don't mean to sound racist) dumb jews as well as smart jews. it's like this for every nationality. `and i never said jews were smart. i know there are a lot of jewish doctors and lawyers and they are smart but in my opinion, they're smart because they went to schools. there are also a lot of german, british, and i'm sure serbian doctors and lawyers as well. it's just a stereotype for the most part and i think they're just really hard workers who are motivated to be smart.

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 09 May 2007, 20:51

but still intelligence is something you're born with so it has to be genetic...

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 09 May 2007, 22:32

jcdenton wrote:but still intelligence is something you're born with so it has to be genetic...
I don't think so. Just like football skills, intelligence and problem-solving must be learned.