most intelligent nations in the world

Chat about anything BUT football
jcdenton
Veteran Member

most intelligent nations in the world

Post by jcdenton » 07 May 2007, 07:25

1. Israel
2. Slovenia (bloody Austrian horse-keepers)
3. Serbia (43% of Serbs have IQ over 148!)
i don't want this topic to be another advertisement for Serbia, just post your thoughts about these results...
still these results prove high IQ in all Slavic nations...

EnSoUl
Veteran Member

Post by EnSoUl » 07 May 2007, 07:39

hmmmmm, that can't be right :roll: nah it's kewl, why do israel ect. have an older population hence they're wiser. By the way are you a patriot? because I don't see why you would do this unless serbia had a good result

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 07 May 2007, 08:08

and this isn't a good result?

EnSoUl
Veteran Member

Post by EnSoUl » 07 May 2007, 08:33

of course it's a good result

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 07 May 2007, 09:32

IQ tests are fundamentally flawed. 'nuff said.

It's still pretty impressive to come 3rd in this kind of test - But it certainly doesn't mean these are the most intelligent 3 nations in the world!

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 07 May 2007, 09:53

Magicfeet wrote:IQ tests are fundamentally flawed. 'nuff said.

It's still pretty impressive to come 3rd in this kind of test - But it certainly doesn't mean these are the most intelligent 3 nations in the world!
you're just jealous...

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 07 May 2007, 10:04

IQ tests are logical it tests your common sense. Being smart is a completely different thing. If these are the top 3 nations that means that overall, they are the most logically intelligent in the world not smartest.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 07 May 2007, 13:15

I'm pretty sure that stat is incorrect. A mean of 148 in the whole population is almost statstically impossible.
Where did you get this information from?

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 07 May 2007, 13:19

official Mensa stats...
sample of over 1000 people tested in last year...

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 07 May 2007, 13:40

This is from an article in the UK Times published last year on the IQ of Europeans

PS. That study doesn't look very scientific but still, Serbia's result couldn't be off with almost 60 points, as you say in your stats

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 07 May 2007, 14:15

similar studies say that Serbs are the most stupid people in the world...
"scientific" studies by some British "scientist" sorted Serbia in VERY stupid nations... so your sources are less important than Mensa... they do ACTUAL IQ tests...
Srbi i Slovenci među najinteligentnijima na svetu

Između stotinak zemalja sveta, koje su se našle na lestvici inteligencije, Srbija je zauzela visoko treće mesto, a ispred nje nalaze se samo Izrael i Slovenija. Službena potvrda stigla je iz Mense. Kako javlja Blic Online, Postotak građana koji su na testovima pokazali natprosečnu inteligenciju, a to je koeficijent veći od 148, iznosi 43 posto.
---
U 2005. godini u svetu je obeležena stogodišnjica od prvog merenja inteligencije. U Srbiji organizirano je 14 testiranja, a od 1097 prijavljenih 470 je ispunilo uslove za učlanjenje u Mensu. Podjednako dobre rezultate pokazali su studenti, doktori znanosti, mesari, policajci, lekari, arhitekte i inženjeri.

Prosečan koeficijent inteligencije je između 90 i 110. U grupu natprosečno inteligentnih ulaze oni koji za 40 minuta reše najmanje 26 od 36 zadataka Mensinog testa. Bilo kako bilo, rezultat koji omogućava članstvo u Mensi može ostvariti samo dva posto žitelja planete.
this article is from Serbian newspapers...

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 07 May 2007, 22:26

Well, thanks for that article. Unfortunately, only you and a select few can read, understand, or speak Serbian or whatever you cal that language.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 07 May 2007, 22:47

I think I speak for all of us when I say I prefer it when you post in English, I could read it if it was in French if you want but if you have to put stuff in Slavic languages could you translate it for us?

Also I'd be less inclined to believe any type of IQ test given to the population at large because no matter how hard you try it becomes knowledge based. I'd like to see a kind of IQ test where first they give you the formula and explain how to use it and give you the questions at the same time, and your IQ is judged on your accuracy of answers and how long it took you to complete the test.

dareliss
Veteran Member

Post by dareliss » 07 May 2007, 23:19

The most intelligent people in Europe are the Germans, the Dutch, the Polish, the Swedish and the Italians. Professor Richard Lynn and his colleagues from Northern Ireland's University of Ulster have conducted an IQ survey and have discovered relatively significant regional differences in Europe.

The average intelligence in countries like Germany and Holland is 107, while in countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey and Serbia it is only 89. The supposed average intelligence quotient is 100. Spanish and French are also beneath this level, with an average intelligence of 98 and 94.

Professor Richard Lynn caused quite a stir last year when he claimed that on average men are 5 IQ points more intelligent than women. The way IQ is defined, a difference of 20 points between A and B, where B has a score closer to the average, means that people having the same intelligence as A are twice more scarce in the population than people having the same intelligence as B. Thus, the difference between the average Dutch and the average Bulgarian seems quite significant.

All the controversies surrounding such uses of IQ tests start from the fact that IQ tests do not test solely genetically determined qualities – the results are also influenced by socio-cultural factors. Thus, this result could be explained by saying that south-eastern Europeans had lower scores simply because they are not so well accustomed with western culture.

However, professor Richard Lynn notes that the average brain size in Northern and Central Europe is also larger (1,320cc) than in southeast Europe (1,312cc). According to his interpretation, populations in the colder, more challenging environments of Northern Europe had developed larger brains than those in warmer climates further south.

Furthermore, he ascribes the differences between British and French IQ levels to the results of military conflict. He believes there exists an "unrecognised law of history" that "the side with the higher IQ normally wins, unless they are hugely outnumbered, as Germany was after 1942." This type of argument was used in the past to explain why Japanese people supposedly have a higher average intelligence than Europeans or Americans – the wars in Japan's history presumably acted as natural selection and the more intelligent individuals managed to survive and reproduce more often than the less intelligent, thus leaving behind a more and more intelligent population.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 08 May 2007, 00:13

However, professor Richard Lynn notes that the average brain size in Northern and Central Europe is also larger (1,320cc) than in southeast Europe (1,312cc).
In humans, brain size does not correlate to intelligence.
the side with the higher IQ normally wins, unless they are hugely outnumbered, as Germany was after 1942
The conclusions of this guy are not scientific. :lol:
But the IQ results data seems accurate.