Expert's profile

Post your suggestions, feedback and anything related to the web site

Expert's profile

Post by Guest »

hey, i would like to see a profile on the expert in the "players" section. I think that this would add to the site.
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

I would have to disagree with you about this. It would look egomaniacal if I posted my own profile next to the likes of Ronaldo and Zidane. It will be more interesting to have a section where young players could post their own specs, pictures and bios.
Star

Post by Star »

Good ideas, but... why isn't there an option to have an Avatar on this site? That would be really cool indeed...
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe »

it would be also cool if the expert told us a bit more about his playing career and how he trained when he was younger. Then others from different parts of the world can share their unique training techniques with others to help them improve their game.
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

Let me start off by saying thanks for your involvement in the forum, I really appreciate it. My playing career is still far from over. Last summer, I went on trials with an overseas club but things didn’t work out. My last season was with a team from the American PDL league but I have also played on the collegiate level, many regional divisions around New York and Europe. The latter is where I’m originally from and is where I started playing the game. When I moved to the US at the age of 13, I was disturbed by the inferior quality of the youth game. A couple of years later and a trip to Europe made me realize that I was falling behind with my skills. I joined an adult team, bought a bunch of books and started practicing in isolation. Initially, I used to just knock the ball around for fun. With time, my training sessions became more and more ambitious. At one point, I was riding my bike daily to a field that was 8 miles away from my house. Once I got there, I would work tenaciously for 3-4 hours. After many hours of training individually, at camps, reading and observing, I now know how to design my practice for optimal productivity.

Many people, especially in America, are still attached to the “no pain no gain” principle. Experience has shown that in soccer, the smarter or better organized team wins. Why is Greece the current European champion? At the higher levels of the game, individual skills are overshadowed by performance and intelligence. I have played against many talented opponents: some of them were faster than me, others were more skillful.
But thanks to this approach, I have been able to successfully compete against regionally and even internationally respected players. If you know your strengths and apply them appropriately, you’ll win. If you design your practice intelligently, you’ll improve quicker. That is how I approach my soccer training today, nearly a decade later.
Last edited by expert on 14 Apr 2005, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe »

Expert, have you ever heard of Mesut Mert? He won the Canadian University MVP from 2001-2002 and 2002-2003. He immigrated from Bulgaria when he was a boy like yourself. This season, he played for the Calgary Mustangs of the A-League and was one of their best players. He plays midfield, and he is quick. Over the summer, he went to England on a tour with the Canadian Men's World Cup "B" or development team where they played the likes of Millwall and Hearts. Nevertheless, he did pretty good for himself for someone who wasn't supposed to make it to the big leagues.
j

Post by j »

may i just ask the expert how old you are and what is your ulitimate goal?
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

When I was little, I wanted to be the greatest player in the history of the game. Not that I'm in my twenties, I don't really have an "ultimate goal" anymore except staying involved with the game for as long as possible. I love playing competitively, recreationally as well as watching and reading about it. It's all about doing what you love.

I haven't heard of Mesut Mert, but I have a friend who used to play in the A League with a team from Canada. He's a former Liberian international (and a teammate of George Weah). The latter is a testament that great players can come from anywhere on the globe. The great thing about football is that the more you love the game, the farther you'll go. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from. That is one of the reasons why I prefer not to talk about myself too much.
j

Post by j »

expert i just would like to say to you that finding this website was one of the greatest things that has happened to me. it has opened my eyes up in so many different ways and i have learned so much. Even though we are probably pretty much the same age i do look up to a lot of the things you have to say because it makes me realize why i loved this game so much in the first place. thank you. J
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. Please do come back and let me know how you are doing. Good luck
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe »

expert, when did you move to America? Because in my province, in 1990, a lot of Bulgarian immigrants came in as economical refugees in a ship. Also, a lot of russians were visiting cuba, since thats the only place they are aloud visiting, the plane stopped here to fuel up, and they escaped the plane, and became refugees and stayed here ever since. Nevertheless, they dominate soccer here. I was just wondering when you moved to America?
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert »

Yeah, I've heard that there are many Eastern-Bloc immigrants in Canada but I'm surprised that they're widely involved in organized soccer. Personally, I moved over in the mid-1990's, although many of my relatives have been living here since the 70's. As a child, I've also spent a few years in Mozambique, Africa.
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe »

you must have played street soccer in Mozambique. Do you think it was vital for your development? I can relate it to the game of hockey, as a child I'd play unorganized "street hockey" with a bunch of kids from our neighbourhood. It was absolutely no trouble to get a game on the go. soccer on the otherhand, can be difficult. So did you have any playing experience there?

Btw, Mesut Mert, the guy I mentioned above, is a bulgarian immigrant himself, but he moved when he was very young. He is considered to be one of the first pro's in Canada from this "Bulgarian invasion" of immigration to Canada.

I'm glad they moved here, without them, I wouldn't be able to find a competitive pickup game
cHaVa
Veteran Member

Post by cHaVa »

LOL
T.O.ArsenalChic
Sophomore Member

Post by T.O.ArsenalChic »

Wow expert.... you're quite the strong-willed individual! I admire your devotion to the sport as well as keeping up with this website!

And you are so right about the "no pain no gain" principle ...it stretches way up here in Canada as well. You don't really hear a lot about players who have lived here in Canada for many generations... you tend to hear more about those who have immigrated here and have planted their roots here.

I think soccer in Canada is being taken more seriously as the years go by. Toronto will finally, yes FINALLY!, have a soccer stadium hopefully in time to host the FIFA men's world youth championship in 2007 and hopefully host more games at all levels.

Keep up the great work expert! Maybe I'll get to see you play at the new stadium!!