topics in order of quality

Post your suggestions, feedback and anything related to the web site
mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

this is just an idea i thought of, why not in each subforum, instead of having them in order of date, why not order the threads in quality so the most helpfull threads are on the 1st few pages etc and the crappy ones are on the last few pages.
Image
i was made to ignite

Nat_H
Veteran Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 18:03

Post

Then no one would read my new threads cuz they're down at the bottom with 0 replies and 0 views

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman
Posts: 2801
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 19:39
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post

Terrible idea, there is a reason that all forums work in the same manner as EF.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member
Posts: 2958
Joined: 25 May 2005, 21:36
Location: New York, USA

Post

iwannagopro wrote:Terrible idea, there is a reason that all forums work in the same manner as EF.
At least he has ideas. I don't see anyone else suggesting anything. Not a terrible idea IMO. Anyway, important threads are made into "Sticky" and those are at the top of each subforum.
Image

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

I'm going to have to agree with IWGP. not a good idea. Determining which are the most useful would result in a lot of work and that would be objective anyways and not everyone would agree with the rank of usefulness of the topics.
Image

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman
Posts: 2801
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 19:39
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post

Croatianblood1 wrote:
iwannagopro wrote:Terrible idea, there is a reason that all forums work in the same manner as EF.
At least he has ideas. I don't see anyone else suggesting anything. Not a terrible idea IMO. Anyway, important threads are made into "Sticky" and those are at the top of each subforum.
Don't fix it if it isn't broken. We don't need ideas for inexistent problems.

Even though that doesn't apply in many cases, I would have to say it applies here. The current forum system is the most common across the entire web. To change it would be to confuse every new member, as well as every member who has ever used a forum before. Also a system that is entirely subjective is pretty terrible, every thread has an equal opportunity to stay afloat. If one drops down the page, it's probably because it was crap anyways, or the question has been answered.

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

ok, thats cool i just thought it was a good idea thats all.
Image
i was made to ignite

DouDou
Senior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 May 2006, 02:27
Location: New Jersey, United Sates

Post

I did suggest something similar long time, but I also suggested to give the viewer the option to sort the topics :most recent, most popular, rating. I think this will reduce enormously the number of useless or repetitive posts.

Another idea would be as somebody mentioned to have stickies in every section, I actually would suggest only one FAQ sticky, where you would list all the FAQ in a section, provide some good short answers and the links to older discussions about that topic, and then LOCK the topic so that it doesn't bulk up with useless posts. If I ever become a MOD, that is what I will work on, perhaps it is time for me to apply for a MOD position :lol:
Image

Nat_H
Veteran Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 18:03

Post

Ideas and answers are always changing. It doesn't make sense to me to have a set answer to questions like: "How do I train long shots?" The beauty of this forum is getting a mixture of different answers from players, coaches, and trainers of different experiences and knowledge level.

DouDou
Senior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 May 2006, 02:27
Location: New Jersey, United Sates

Post

Nat_H wrote:Ideas and answers are always changing. It doesn't make sense to me to have a set answer to questions like: "How do I train long shots?" The beauty of this forum is getting a mixture of different answers from players, coaches, and trainers of different experiences and knowledge level.
I partially agree with you, while it is true that ideas and answers are changing there are universal facts that would never change. For instance to address your sample question which is a frequently asked question "How do I train long shots?" the simple answer would be for long range shots would need power which requires striking the ball properly, here are the links to some useful guides and discussion...

So the basic idea here is to guide the reader, so while "How do I practice long range shots" and "problems with my instep drive" seem to be different questions they are basically the same question because if you have a good instep drive shot you should have no problem taking a shot from 35 yards.

The main purpose of having a sticky FAQ is to address what i just mentioned which would minimize the number of useless repetitive posts. If the reader is still unhappy with the FAQ's he could still ask his/her question nobody is going to shoot him/her.
Image

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post

mint wrote:this is just an idea i thought of, why not in each subforum, instead of having them in order of date, why not order the threads in quality so the most helpfull threads are on the 1st few pages etc and the crappy ones are on the last few pages.
great idea!!!!! i assume your the one whos willing to go through the thousands of topics on the site and rank them accordingly?

good for you :wink:
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

User avatar
expert
Site Admin
Posts: 2305
Joined: 13 Sep 2004, 16:40

Post

A while ago, there was a feature that allowed you to rate topics but it was rarely used and it didn't work too good. The problem was that you can't rate two different topics objectively especially when their content deals with completely different stuff.

As for the stickies, yeah, we need to get those back, I have to look at the templates when I have some free time.

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

I don't want to make another topic so I'll just post it in here since this one's open.

I don't know if anyone's suggested this but what about a "quick reply" option? Do you know what I mean. So you don't always have to click reply. You can just type and enter.
Image

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

ScottyBoy wrote:
mint wrote:this is just an idea i thought of, why not in each subforum, instead of having them in order of date, why not order the threads in quality so the most helpfull threads are on the 1st few pages etc and the crappy ones are on the last few pages.
great idea!!!!! i assume your the one whos willing to go through the thousands of topics on the site and rank them accordingly?

good for you :wink:
yeah actually i would do if i needed to.
Image
i was made to ignite

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member
Posts: 789
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 01:22

Post

soccer11 wrote:I don't want to make another topic so I'll just post it in here since this one's open.

I don't know if anyone's suggested this but what about a "quick reply" option? Do you know what I mean. So you don't always have to click reply. You can just type and enter.
I have seen that on other forums, pretty convenient.

Do you mean like a text box at the way bottom of the page right?
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Post Reply