New usergroup

Post your suggestions, feedback and anything related to the web site
Nat_H
Veteran Member

New usergroup

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 01:33

An idea:
OK so this deals with the rating system, which I think is a really good idea and tool for people to use to determine a person's knowledge/trustworthiness/helpfulness. I also understand that the system is used to discourage people from making pointless posts and encourage people to make (long) good posts.

This idea will bring out the facet of the rating system that I think is most beneficial to EF. Because firstly I see a lot of people (not going to name anyone here) that have made very helpful posts, but since it wasn't so and so many paragraphs long, he/she didn't get a 5 rating for it. So another user would not see the difference between that person and another with the same amount of posts but those of less quality. There are almost no 2's and 3's, just because the system has been mainly used to reward (4's and 5's) and punish (1's).

I understand that the limited amount of mods (there is no reason to designate many more) have better things to do than to rate every post, but in order to utilize the ratings system fully, here is my idea:
Make a new usergroup labeled "raters" or something less cheesy, maybe 4-6 other people that are generally active and can be trusted to accurately rate posts. They will be normal users, solely with the added ability to rate posts, This will assist the mods and help fully utilize this great system.

Hopefully expert sees this as something that will contribute to the site, and hopefuly he can get it to work. Obviously this idea can be modified/expounded to work even better. Any questions, comments, or concerns?

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 01:39

I would be a Member. :D
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 01:40

Well the raters would probably be chosen by just expert or expert and the mods

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 01:42

Yeah but they trust be :wink:

Dev-Nev-U-La-Tor 3000 is my homie

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 19 Aug 2008, 02:12

Good suggestion Nat_H. I think it will still be up to mods to rate, thats there job. I know what you mean about really good thought post's that have not been give a 4 or 5 rating.
Im always active on EF everyday, so I could probberly do it.
But, I think you need to talk to the mods or Expert about your idea.

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 02:14

Oh yeah mods would definitely still be able to rate posts as well. The point of this forum section is to alert expert to "suggestions" we have, so I think my posting it here will get his attention.

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 19 Aug 2008, 02:17

Nat_H wrote:Oh yeah mods would definitely still be able to rate posts as well. The point of this forum section is to alert expert to "suggestions" we have, so I think my posting it here will get his attention.
Expert is hardley ever on EF. Hes probberly got a job and dosnt have much time to come on EF. You should take this idea up to a mod, or you can pm Expert.

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 02:19

Hmm...well expert would be the only one who would be able to make these changes. I will PM him with a link to this thread.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 02:36

messi19 wrote:
Nat_H wrote:Oh yeah mods would definitely still be able to rate posts as well. The point of this forum section is to alert expert to "suggestions" we have, so I think my posting it here will get his attention.
Expert is hardley ever on EF. Hes probberly got a job and dosnt have much time to come on EF. You should take this idea up to a mod, or you can pm Expert.
He is on Vacation so i hear. And actually i doubt this idea will pass

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 19 Aug 2008, 06:58

Actually, I've thought about this and it might work.
Like for example, if the dream team usergroup was allowed to rate posts or something.
Another way would be using a chess rating system where everybody can vote, but your vote counts more if you have a good rating yourself.
We might try this once I have regular internet access again.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 13:20

Ok thanks for the consideration. Obviously how we implement the system would be up to you, expert; those ideas are good too.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2008, 13:24

I like where expert is going with that, akin to the Elo system (They use it for chess, yes, but it is used in the FIFA Rankings too, let's not forget. ;)). It rewards everyone, as those with a higher rating would, more then likely, have a better idea on the validity of ratings.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 19 Aug 2008, 13:48

i think this is an excellent idea, the current rating systam works but not really effectively in some case's

cause some really fantastic post's have gone un-noticed and some really bad ones have aswell

but on experts idea, you sure bout the whole of the dream team?
there are hundreds of them? but the chess rating idea sounds good (if it isn't abused)

but this is only a very breif suggesion, mabye the mod's could be refreshed (not like kick the current ones out, but like add to there ranks)
as very very few of them are active anymore, like i only ever see S4L, Radz and Soccer 11 around, the rest have moved on

mabye we could put some fresh blood there? for more common and frequent rating, just 2 or 3 currently active and good user's to be added
just a suggesion :D

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 13:58

NewBornProdigy wrote:but this is only a very breif suggesion, mabye the mod's could be refreshed (not like kick the current ones out, but like add to there ranks)as very very few of them are active anymore, like i only ever see S4L, Radz and Soccer 11 around, the rest have moved on
WHAT ABOUT DE-NEV-U-LATOR!?!?! :D

I have a good idea though. I think the BOTS should rate :D Googlebot is pretty smart and so is MSNbot but Yahoo! Slurp is never on...

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 19 Aug 2008, 16:18

First off, I think this is a good idea. There are some trustworthy people on this site I believe that are capable of this idea. Secondly, this might be going over-the-top but maybe expert could implement a feedback system to go along with the ratings. A small description about what was right or wrong about the post perhaps?

By the way, what are those bots for???