Understanding going pro

Post your suggestions, feedback and anything related to the web site
Bellc
New User

Understanding going pro

Post by Bellc » 13 Aug 2019, 07:59

Hello all.
I have a question concerning my 16 year old 5’0” footballer. He started playing at 5 and from what I hear, he’s pretty good. He has tried out out in NYC for pro and was told that he was good but not enought to be offered anything, but was invited to go to Europe to train. They felt that he had the skills but never had the right coaching and wanted to work with him. We could not afford to send him to England. But again he was invited to tryout for a regional club team which he made, and college coaches were giving him their personal phone numbers but then he didnt make the team to be scouted for nationals. It seems like he’s right there but then gets stopped. They get him excited and then just drop him. We are in the process of making videos and shopping it to agents. We are not rich and all this has a heavy price tag. Why would these coaches pump him up just to let him down? Are they just money makers?

Bellc
New User

Re: Understanding going pro

Post by Bellc » 13 Aug 2019, 08:00

Im sorry. He’s 6 feet tall not 5.

expert
Site Admin

Re: Understanding going pro

Post by expert » 13 Aug 2019, 21:09

Hello there. In the United States, college is definitely the way to go. Even if he doesn't get in the best (Division 1) soccer school right away there are ways to transfer later on and he might be eligible for a scholarship. From what I remember only D1 school are allowed to give full scholarships, D2 may give partial and D3 do not give out any scholarships at all. Sure there are tremendous costs involved with going to college but the benefits are manifold and stretch far beyond playing soccer. Cheers!