No one to play with

Want to start a local game in your neighbourhood?
cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

No one to play with

Post by cfrealmadrid » 28 Apr 2005, 00:38

there's no one to play with in my town. where i live, everyone's great great grandparents were hard workers in the mines and farms. it's an american football town, with baseball on the side. soccer is considered "girly" and there's no one to play with. does anyone know what kind of place might have pick up games?
Hala Galacticos

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 28 Apr 2005, 08:27

"Little by little you have to teach the United States that this is the best game in the world." Johan Cruyff

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 28 Apr 2005, 18:41

its getting there, we will see how much support usa gets at wc 06...we have to travel a lot farther to :(.
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

cHaVa
Veteran Member

Post by cHaVa » 28 Apr 2005, 19:44

Yeah, well said JCDENTON, the US will have to understand that Soccer is the best game of all!

Post by Guest » 28 Apr 2005, 19:50

its the same in my town for the most part but there are often club teams are nearby. You just kind of have to live withe the "girly" comments because most americans dont understand soccer and dont care.

england55
New User

Post by england55 » 28 Apr 2005, 20:20

sure.... they'll call it girly but soccer players can kick anyones ass.. especially hillbilly football players

Mike

Post by Mike » 28 Apr 2005, 20:49

Don't listen to them man...I would rather hear girly comments instead of comments of never making it to pro.
I had to bear with types of comments that really put your confidence down...if ican put up with those types of comments then i'm positive you can with girly comments.

Also no one to play with? How about the ball? Now when ever some one asks me who i'm going to paly with and no one wants to i say im going with the ball...simple and funny, but true. You only need the ball by ur side. Sure it's better to have someone along side playing, but when it comes down to practising you dont neccessarily need someone with you.

Just keep your head up and do what you want to do.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 29 Apr 2005, 01:13

I dont know if anyone watches the NFL battle of the gridiron stars on ESPN. If you dont, its a show where football players from the NFL play in events to show how athletic they are. This week there was a soccer shoot-out. It was quite pathetic. There was only like one or two goals scored in the entire shoot-out and it wasnt even kicked right. I dont know what it was but one was kicked with like the inside of his heel. His heel!!!! they are replaying it if you didnt see it, its the first event so i think its worth watching for that one reason. Football players always say we're sissys and it's an easy sport, yet, since they are the self proclaimed "best athletes in the world", they cant even kick a little ball into the net. And another thing, they cant be considered the best athletes for quite a few reasons.
1)steroids
2)a lot of them weigh well over 300 pounds, thats not athletic, thats just big.
3)Some soccer players run more in a game then most of them run in the entire season
You see where im going with this right? For every Mike Vick, there is 20 Warren Sapps and some other fat linemen. I strongly encourage everyone to check out your local listings for the battle of the gridiron stars to see these "athletes" try to kicka soccer ball. You'll get a good laugh out of it.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 01 May 2005, 17:53

I've deleted a number of posts based on the following criteria:
1. They were not informational, but were just posted for the sake of argument
2. They were not related to soccer
3. They were threatening

J
Admin

Post by J » 02 May 2005, 00:28

the comments he was making were ignorant and uneducated, that was the only reason i said anything at all.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 02 May 2005, 00:46

Fair enough. I guess we have to enforce some official groundrules.

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 02 May 2005, 03:46

sorry man , wont let it happen again. :)
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

JasperJock
New User

Post by JasperJock » 03 May 2005, 17:14

Unfortnately, America does not understand sports like Rugby and Soccer are some of the most entertaining games to play and watch for something different always occurs during gameplay. Some of the Common sports that everyone would call "Manly" are also along the lines of repetitive a/o obvious.

I was placed away from Soccer when I was 6 for my dad wanted me to play a more "Manly" sport like Baseball. I'm back to messing with a Soccer Ball after switching from Baseball to Lacrosse and my dad changed his view of sports in general.

Lacrosse is an American Sport I give a lot of Kudos for it being one of the fastest sports to be involved with. Even though it seems quite similar to Hurley back in Ireland, it sure as hell is entertaining from both perspectives.

Maradona
Veteran Member

Post by Maradona » 04 May 2005, 22:14

If they call soccer a girly game well they didn't think before they said this stuff because this "Girly" sport as Americans call it is already played around the world. Americans may be retarded but they just need time, if they win WC 06 opinions will change dramatically.
The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn’t move, kick it until it does.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 07 May 2005, 04:30

Mike wrote:Don't listen to them man...I would rather hear girly comments instead of comments of never making it to pro.
I had to bear with types of comments that really put your confidence down...if ican put up with those types of comments then i'm positive you can with girly comments.

Also no one to play with? How about the ball? Now when ever some one asks me who i'm going to paly with and no one wants to i say im going with the ball...simple and funny, but true. You only need the ball by ur side. Sure it's better to have someone along side playing, but when it comes down to practising you dont neccessarily need someone with you.

Just keep your head up and do what you want to do.
sure, but playing with the ball is only half the job. it's what freestylers do to practice. i want to practice with people to increase my skill in beating defenders. since i posted last, i actually have gotten a lot of my friends at school playing. once or twice a week there's a girls' volleyball game, and we have an hour before that starts. we usually go up on this hill by the school and kick against the wall there. sometime's we'll play like 4v4 or something, but it's better than being by myself. anyway, back to my point, i think that you need to practice with other people. even if you could do a perfect elastico or rainbow, there are certain adjustments you have to make when you're actually against someone.
Hala Galacticos