Thai military coup.

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
hustler89
Veteran Member

Thai military coup.

Post by hustler89 » 19 Sep 2006, 17:45

World politics has always interested me & I've recently seen the news of the military coup in Thailand, which has rather surprised me because I thought it was one of the more stable countries in Asia.

Here is a small section of the news from the BBC Website.

"Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has declared a state of emergency in Bangkok amid reports of a coup attempt.
Soldiers have entered Government House and tanks have moved into position around the building.

Mr Thaksin, who is at the UN in New York, said he had removed the chief of the army.

National television announced that forces had taken control of Bangkok "to maintain law and order", and that they were declaring loyalty to the king.

However, the BBC's Kate McGeown in Bangkok says King Bhumibol is held in high esteem by all Thais, and the declaration of loyalty does not necessarily imply that he backs the takeover attempt.

An army-owned TV station is showing images of the royal family and songs linked in the past with military coups.

The announcement said the troops belonged to the Council of Political Reform".

Anyways, got any thoughts on the subject or military coups, feel free to post it here.

fred-0

Post by fred-0 » 19 Sep 2006, 17:54

i really dont get it - im still get my head around the coup form spooks the other night lol - i have really read in to it yet though - im will watch it on the news though - so fair dos

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 19 Sep 2006, 18:20

It seems that there is a lot of dis-satisfaction with the government who are meant to be quite corrupt (even by government standards). One incident they mentioned on the news was when the Prime Minister sold off the national telecoms company and kept the money for themselves

Thankfully, it seems to be a bloodless coup.......so far. They are saying many people probably don't even realise it's happened

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 20 Sep 2006, 00:22

hey you guys heard about this? ive been living here in thailand (although im vietnamese) for 12 years or so. People saw this coming, really....today my school is closed (im in an international school). No bloodshed so far, but its a pretty tense atmosphere, and... not being racist or anything, people fear the guy in charge now...hes muslim. and about the telecom thing ratherton was talking about, his family sold the company to some other company from singapore, for 1.9 billion baht (around 36 or 37 baht is a dollar). They sold it in cash, without tax, as at the time, laws on that stuff wasnt quite clear. so basically, he didnt break the law but did something unethical (which im not so sure of, i just heard it). so....this morning i woke up at 5:30 am to prepare for school. my friend called me just 5 minutes later saying school was closed, and for the next half hour we were calling our friends and spreading the news...pretty scary thing, as i live in the dead center of the city, quite near government headquarters where tanks came and took over the place...btw, thaksin, the PM lives there but hes in NY at the moment

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 20 Sep 2006, 02:48

sorry, that was 1.9billion us dollars, not baht..