Global warming

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer

Do you think global warming is a real threat?

Yes
73%
no
27%

Total votes: 64

the_loast

Post by the_loast »

"the government's out to get us"?

Translate that statement to 'tyranny' and it really looses its credibility which comes from its emotional appeal.

Those articles to were to throw up the idea that those tactics are being used to create this great hysteria of the planet being on the verge of destruction - false experts, manipulated data, hyperbolic explanations, and biased conclusions - I'm saying that those ideas should be condiered when reading or a person can easily be duped

Watch this movie if you can
the Wicker Man, (1974 version) that is all I am pointing at

A great wacky conspiracy theorist told me that whenever I hear an idea I should demand to know what the original data was, how is was collected, what the weaknesses were and how credible it was

His name was John Allen Paulos, He is a mathematician at Temple University, and he wrote a book connected to critical thiking called: A mathematician reads a newspaper' - I'm saying that he has to be an insnae theorist because the ideas he put in that book gave me reasont o ask huge queitons about 'teh' media, and [i]governmental departments[/i], which seemed to raise conflict , and from what I know, anything that doesn't comply with the official story is a wacky conspiracy - media says it I believe it, get the jist

Mainly, unless anyone in the field that is an impartial expert on teh matter has seen this great omen of global warming, there doesn't seem to be adequate evidence to consume and ratify the idea

I'm not doubting government, I'm asing for an equal opporunity to seek the truth

Any quesitons

[img]http://www.thismodernworld.com/media/ar ... stupid.jpg[/img]
pires7
New User

Post by pires7 »

It is impossible to prove or disprove the theory of 'Global Warming' however a theory's use isn't in its absolute correctness, but the effect it has on people.
Therefore 'Global Warming' is a valid theory as that cross the world we must seek ways to preserve the environment.

A couple points to note:
Heat transfer experts have questioned that if CO2 is causing the reflection of the suns rays and trapping heat, then would it not also be true that more of the suns rays are being reflected back into space before they reach Earth's surface? So would a reduction in CO2 gaurantee a drop in global temperatures.

Some companies are now pumping CO2 into oil resivours under ground which are usually filled with water. Thus they can reduce CO2 emissions. Chevron in Western Australia for example, however this isn't possible worldwide. Developing Nations i.e China and India believe they need to be granted consessions for x amount of years so they will no be reducing CO2 in a hurry.

Nuclear power therefore seems to be the way forward. The government in Aus is introducing a carbon tax to make alternate/competetive in the market. So the development of alternate energy sources become more attractive. Another note of nuclear power, after treatment it is possible to reduce the radioactivity of the waste to a level similar to that of the uranium that was mined in the first place! Long term storage is the main problem!
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh »

I agree with you completely on Nuclear power, but I wonder, have you ever heard the phrase let sleeping dogs lie? The last post here was like 2 months ago....
ben23

Post by ben23 »

global warming is sweet. who wants to live in the cold?
thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard »

ben23 wrote:global warming is sweet. who wants to live in the cold?
LOLz man I'm getting frostbite and the guy is telling me to cut my arms off. But if I cut off one arm, how do I cut the next? :?:
ben23

Post by ben23 »

depends on what kinds of tools you're working with
thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard »

ben23 wrote:depends on what kinds of tools you're working with
CHAINSAW :lol:
thrillboy
Veteran Member

Post by thrillboy »

To the population crisis issue. Why dont all the countries have some sort of population control. Doesn't china have a law that says you can only have 2 children? I read the Giver for 8th grade reading and they had some sort of birth control thing where you were assigned a wife/husband and when the couple was together, they couldn't conceive a child. They had to ask for a child from the community leaders. The child was conceived by women whose jobs it was to have children. I think this is too far fetched and people wouldn't agree with it, but i beleive all countries should have some sort of birth control because the population rate is going way to high. The world will exceeds it carrying capicity and then the population will decrease only when there are less resources than people, and then people will die.
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:
thrillboy
Veteran Member

Post by thrillboy »

anyboobie gonna post? :?
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:
ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy »

personally i think were fu**ed

america is doing fu** all and with china and india growing so quickly the effects will soon become irreversable

in the next 10 years worlds food consumption will rise by 10% and power/fuel comsuption by 20% with the words population growng by 500 million
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim »

Well, some drastic measure needs to be taken, or else, as you put it ScottyBoy, we're fu**ed.
ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy »

gnarlyjim wrote: as you put it ScottyBoy, we're fu**ed.
its the most intulectual phrase i could think of :)
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim »

Haha, well it got the message across. :lol: :wink:
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh »

Definitely fu**ed.

Have you guys heard what China's doing?

Because of the new carbon credit system (it's like gold stars and black marks for CEOs) China has decided that if they build an energy plant using sh*t-ass equipment they can rack up a really really high carbon score, and therefore get given a lot of carbon credits from the government, then they make an appeal to have European Energy efficiency firms come in and "fix up" their plant, which really means re-build the whole damn thing because the Chinese are being fu**ing deuche bags.

Then, they end up producing a crapload less carbon and sell off the rest of the carbon credits from the original plant at a massive profit. This is not what the system was intended for.

It just goes to show that in the face of a worldwide catastrophe there are still those petty enough, those greedy and slimy enough that they would seek to profiteer from the goodwill of others who don't want to see the world destroyed. China shouldn't be able to get away with this, so many countries shouldn't be able to get away with stuff like this, it's so wrong I can hardly believe it happens.

It's times like this that I wish I had some way of communicating to the world exactly why this is wrong, kinda like a blog, only one that was read and reflected upon, I wish I could be like Peter Wiggin, or "Locke" in the book Ender's game. If you haven't already, read it, it's great.
rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski »

I have, haha, Peter's a bad man! But smart...
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin