Best Coach in Football?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
thierryhenry14

I haven't found any topics on this and i really didn't know where to put it so I put it here. Who do you think is the best coach? Can be either past or present.

I think Arsne Wenger. Ok yea i may be an Arsenal fan but still. it's been what 6 years in a row that they've done 4th or better. To me that's amazing. He's brought a lot of youth to the club that could play a crucial role when some of the bigger names move on like Henry. They've signed Walcott the English sensation. Arsne has my vote
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

A-man147

I agree, Arsene Wenger gets my vote.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

king geedorah
New User

Arsene, a great manager indeed...credit where is due, Mourinho is indeed a special one, speaking form his days with Porto (now its just buy him and him..and him).

You've got to love what Lippi has done with the Italian National team though.

render unto Geedorah what is Geedorah's

thierryhenry14

Yea i didn't know him when he was at porto but now he's kinda selfish and wants nothing but the best players, I'd like to see him go to a club like Blackpool and try to manage a team like that with lesser funds and skill than Chelsea. Good Posts though guys keep em comin
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

A-man147

Mourinho only knows who good players are, he picks his players only on performance wasting a lot of money (Wright-Philips, Del-Horno, Maniche, and now Essien since Ballack is in) and Mourinho is guilty about only caring about the win instead of the performance, tthey could play horribly and barely scrape a win and still be happy with it.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

thierryhenry14

Wright-phillips was origninally from Man City right?
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Morgoth

A-man147 wrote:Mourinho only knows who good players are, he picks his players only on performance wasting a lot of money (Wright-Philips, Del-Horno, Maniche, and now Essien since Ballack is in) and Mourinho is guilty about only caring about the win instead of the performance, tthey could play horribly and barely scrape a win and still be happy with it.
Maybe he does that at chelsea, but the during time before he arrived at chelsea he did a lot great things. First of all, he managed mid-tablers Leiria to achieve a 4th place in the league in his 1 season there. Then he moved on to porto an was there for 3 years. And it was there that he really showed what a great manager he is. He bought a lot players he saw potential in (N. Valente, P. Ferreira, Manice ++) without using too much money and in his first half season it made it quite good in the league. He was hired as manager when the club was far down on the table so he kinda "saved" the club. The next season he really started to show what he could do. Porto won the portugues league, the portugues cup AND the UEFA cup. Not bad, eh?
Then, the year after that he won the portugues league again, second place in the portugues cup, but he also won the champions league. Who would ever have thought that a club like Porto would win the champions league?
- No one for sure. Theres not many other managers that could have achieved the same things that mourinho did in his years at porto.

So to sum it up: He is a great manager no matter how strange personality he may have and he can turn any side into a winning side. But what he's doing at chelsea with all the money (and player) wasting is kinda silly thought :P
Must suck to be you

ratherton
Veteran Member

Brian Clough was outstanding. He took Derby County who were nothing to the European Cup semi-final in the mid 1970s and then won the European Cup 2 years running in 1979 and 1980. Add to that league titles and other domestic cups....all at the same time when Liverpool and English football dominated European competition.

He should have been England manager but the Football Association, as they do now, rarely pick the best man for the job.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Mourinho is guilty about only caring about the win instead of the performance, tthey could play horribly and barely scrape a win and still be happy with it.
He's a born winner though, and he said something interesting the other day. "If people hate Chelsea that means we are doing something right" He has a point there. They win games even though they got too many stars. He is a good tecnician though I started liking him when I saw how crazy he was. He is a genius and most geniuses must be a lil crazy. When he won that champion's league with porto I was watching him. He didnt even smile. He took his medal and went back into the dressing rooms. Crazy? A little bit yes.

Ronaldinho10

Arsene Wenger - he completely changed football in England for the better. He introduced the sport science side of things. Brought in pscychologists , dieticians , etc. to improve the performance of players. Look at some of the fooball Arsenal have produced over the last 5 years , breathtaking , although Wenger is probably more of a mangaer than a coach (Pat Rice being the one who does a lot of the training ground coaching) I'd still say Wenger is the main man.

People are saying that Sven isn't passionate enough to be a manger because he doesn't shout at half time etc. , apparently Wenger never shouts at half time etc. and he's done pretty well.

Not only has Wenger displayed outstanding and beautiful football , he has brought results aswell. The league , FA Cup and so close to the Champions league last year. Sp for me Arsene Wenger best coach/manager around.

Jose Mourinho - has brought a huge amount to England , he inspires his players with confidence and has great tactical knowledge. His interviews are class o watch and the players love him. He's ruthless which is an essential quality to have to succeed in any walk of life. And although many fans (of teams other than Chelsea) dislike him it's only becaue he's so confident and so succesfull , fans don't boo bad players , it's the same for managers.

Finally , Ratherton your right. Brian Clough shouldn't be forgotten , he was a great coach. Very confident , and correct me if I'm wrong Ratherton but wasn't one of Brian Clough's footballing philosophies "let the ball do the work" ie. keep the ball on the floor and pass it , so you don't have to do the running :D

A-man147

no doubt Morinho is a gook coach but he isnt the best all-time
Image KEvinR9

thierryhenry14

A-man147 wrote:no doubt Morinho is a gook coach but he isnt the best all-time
yea he has to teach his players that winning is the oonly thing that matters and that you can have fun while your at it, i could be wrong but it seems he expects too much from chelsea
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

With the squad that he's got I think he has every right to expect alot from them. He has to constantly challenge them because players of that caliber need motivaiton. You cant just give them money and not achieve anything. He's just a very serious man who has a different approach to the game. Some people are more competitive than others, and I think that Chelsea players have alot of fun when they are beating teams 3-0 so they are winning and being happy at the same time. Having fun.

G-Unit-Freestyler

Johan Cruyff and Rinus Michels inventions of "Total Football" must not be forgotten aswell

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

haha thats funny, im know im late but ud wanna see mourinho go to blackpool? hah thatd be quality if he did, but arent they in like league 2 or something. howbout sunderland, or QPR
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP