Which car???

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
prof_raza

Which car???

Post by prof_raza » 06 May 2006, 09:16

Soon it will be time for me to buy a car.

It being my first car, I am so confused.

Right now I am torn apart between deciding whether to buy a sports car or an executive saloon.

It will be atleast two months before I actually get my license, so there is plenty of time left. But since the last month I have been reading online reviews and checking out prices. I just realised that the prices quoted at Edmunds is atleast $500 - $1000 more than what I can get here.

My budget is capped at KD 1500 ($4500).

The three points that I will not sacrifice:
1. Excellent and reliable air conditioning. Kuwait gets really hot during summer.
2. Low road noise
3. Comfortable ride

I have shortlisted the following cars:

Executive saloon

BMW 735i, 1992 model

I was really impressed by it in The Transporter

Lexus LS 400, 1994 model
I have seen a lot of them on the road, and a lot of old guys at high posts riding them. This must be comfortable.

Sports car

Toyota MR2, 1991 - 95 model

Looks good. The price looks good too.

Mazda Miata, 1997 model

I am not too keen on a Mazda, and this car looks pretty small. Would prefer the MR2 over this anyday.

I do not want to race off in the sports car. I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride.

I know for sure it will be difficult finding the sports car that I have shortlisted. Simply because I have seen only two MR2 s till date on the roads of Kuwait. And I am yet to see a Mazda Miata. Optimistic though I am.

If none of these are available at good deals, I might opt for the Honda City (1999) or Mitsubishi Galant (1999), both available at KD 1250/=

If money were no objective, I would have choosen either the Honda NSX ('95) or the Corvette (2000). Alas! It is an objective. LOL

My choice for an exec saloon is because working as a consultant, I would be embarassed if my client saw me getting out of a Nissan Sunny :oP

It is mainly because of the additional two seats that I would be able to accomodate. In a sports car, it would be a two seater. So, I might not be able to accomodate more than one friend at a time. Not that I go out too much. For a fact, I know that Kuwait is the only place where one can afford to drive a sports car, since the petrol is real cheap. Since I am not planning to hang out here for more than a couple of years, I thought that I might as well drive a sports car while I am 'young' and can afford it.

Decisions! Decisions!

What car should I take?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 06 May 2006, 17:03

If you got the BMW735 make sure you know the entire history. If things start to go wrong, maintenance and parts are incredibly expensive.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 07 May 2006, 05:03

Thanks Ratherton.

I did read about the expensive parts. That's why shortlisted the Lexus with it. Just hope to get a cracking deal.

Do not want to be bogged down with maintenance bills on my first car :?

Still searching for an MR2 for sale here in Kuwait. Not much luck though.

J
Admin

Post by J » 07 May 2006, 05:07

Toyota is the only way to go. Most reliable car on the road.

BTW, Lexus is made by Toyota. It is also the most reliable luxery car on the road.

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 07 May 2006, 05:13

Yep, Lexus is made by Toyota. It was a clever marketing strategy - we had that as a case study during graduation :D

The MR2 and Lexus 400 top my shortlist in their respective categories.

Ok, I know Toyota spares are cheap, but is it the same for a Lexus ???

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 » 08 May 2006, 22:32

you have some good choices there. cross off the miata, mazdas are not that good plus its very small.
i would consider and audi a4, you can get a 1996 model for about $4500. It is a mix between luxury and sports.

the 1.8 turbo is a good choice, although they do have a 2.8L and also a 2.4, i believe. I am getting one for my 16th b-day.

The bmw would be hard to maintain plus it would be hard to find one with low mileage that is that old. The same problem arises with the lexus. It is difficult to buy cars that are reliable and run well(performance-wise) older than '95.

for me, the audi is a good choice, it is reliable, comfortable, and fast for those adrenaline-craving moments. All at a low price.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

J
Admin

Post by J » 08 May 2006, 22:36

Audi's are one of the most un-reliable cars and are very expensive to fix. They do horrible in consumer reports. They do handle well and all that, but they are very unreliable.

I wouldn't suggest anything but a toyota. If you want a good all wheel drive vehicle, then I would suggest some type of subaru.

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 » 08 May 2006, 22:42

J wrote:Audi's are one of the most un-reliable cars and are very expensive to fix. They do horrible in consumer reports. They do handle well and all that, but they are very unreliable.
my dad had a '93 audi that broke down just recently after like 250,000 miles. he didnt even really care for it, he didnt check the parts, he didnt really change the parts, all he did was change the oil every 3k miles, and it lasted for a long time without any breakdowns. over the 5 years that he had the car, he must have spent maybe $200 on it(not counting gas or oil changes).
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

J
Admin

Post by J » 08 May 2006, 22:51

hey, you dont have to believe me. I would believe consumer reports though. :)

Your Dad got really lucky if thats true. Audi is usually always near the bottom of the list for reliability in consumer reports.

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 09 May 2006, 06:14

I have looked at the Audi.

True that getting an old car is difficult, that is why I am pinning my choices to Toyota and BMW. These cars are known for their reliability - though Toyota is more synonymous with it.

Anyways, here is a snap of the MR2:

It is a 1994 model. And it looks out of this world!

And here is how it looked in 1992:

Still not sure on the MR2 or the Lexus 400.

The Audi was a choice, but as you mentioned, it is not the best in terms of reliability, plus the maintenance would cost a bomb.

I have been looking for sports cars, and got the following list:
1. Nissan Datsun 300ZX (1986 - 94) - nice car, but poor traction in the rain
2. Mazda Miata (1994) - small car, but quite a hot seller
3. Honda NSX (1995) - expensive

I am looking for something cheap and reliable. The NSX is out because of the price, but it is formula 1 engineering!

There are many that are missing in the list, but I have just started compiling this list. Any additions would be welcome. Would look at them and consider them as well.

Thanks for the wonderful response guys !

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 10 May 2006, 01:16

My dad has the 92 MR2 model, I think its a good car it holds up real well for us...

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 10 May 2006, 07:01

@peps

I ve read some reviews where the owners of the MR2 complained of oversteer. Is that really a problem? And how often does it happen?

lone_ranger101200
New User

Post by lone_ranger101200 » 10 Oct 2006, 18:32

i would go with a toyota supra myself because they are reliable and run for ever and supras are great sports cars

G-Unit-Freestyler

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 12 Oct 2006, 15:27

lone_ranger101200 wrote:i would go with a toyota supra myself because they are reliable and run for ever and supras are great sports cars
Second hand Supra's cost around 22k USD and
is cappMy budgeted at KD 1500 ($4500).
2. Low road noise
Most Supra owners dont own it just to drive it to the supermarket, so youll find a spoiler on it, perhaps some neon lights, turbo charger, pistons, springs, valves and ofcourse the muffler which the owner will have removed for sure to give it a "vroooom vrooooooom" that turn on kids that wouldnt know a microbe about a vehicle.

prof I vote for the BMW and yeah I was impressed with it as well in The Transporter :P