Rappers claiming christianity

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
vcssoccer_01

Rappers claiming christianity

Post by vcssoccer_01 » 19 Mar 2006, 22:05

ok so rappers all over are always wearing crosses and when they win awards for singing about smackin up bitches and selling crack and doing drivebys and going to the "candy shop", they always say "i want to thank God for influencing my music and my life" wait... as far as i knew, God doesn't smack bitches, snort crack, shoot his homies on the block, and i don't even know if He CAN go to the "candy shop". so what's what with these rappers? do you guys think they really are christians with some flaws, or are they preaching a fake sermon for public acceptance?

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 20 Mar 2006, 00:56

They might be christians but they got it all wrong I mean common they set terrible examples for kids.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 20 Mar 2006, 01:25

Yeah, i love the song Jesus Walks, Kanye West makes a great tribute to Jesus considering most people will not mention god in their songs. Plus, Kanye does respect Jesus. He never did shoot homies up on the block or abuse women...

But, i find it hilarious during the song "Murder Was tha Case" by Snoop Dogg, off of Doggystyle where he says a prayer during the middle of the song and then says he will never smoke weed again. I find it hilarious because the album is probably the worst as far as cursing, drug talk, and sex go. and then they add in this random prayer. Hilarious!

J
Admin

Re: Rappers claiming christianity

Post by J » 20 Mar 2006, 01:27

vcssoccer_01 wrote: so what's what with these rappers? do you guys think they really are christians with some flaws, or are they preaching a fake sermon for public acceptance?
It's all about image, there's no real meaning behind any of it. Them wearing those crosses is just an excuse for them to wear big flashy expensive jewlery and look "cooler".

Just like Defoe said, Kanye is probably one of the only rappers with some real meaning behind it.

touchshoot

Post by touchshoot » 21 Sep 2006, 10:43

these guys have just been bought up under the same stereotypical lifestyle and they just where the cross with no meaning . if ur gonna wear it wear it with passion :?

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 21 Sep 2006, 16:22

Kanye west is a sex addict though. Maybe thats why he doesnt abuse women lol. Yeah anyways rap nowadays is bs and most of those people are fake. Game always raps about being a gangster but look at the videos I found from before he got signed:

Part 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHsf5b_y ... art%20game

Part 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USr-_eFK ... %20game%20

Hmm gangster or not? By the way these arent fake.

Well there are alot of rappers who claim to be muslim but their beliefs and actions contrast with the real teachings of islam. They say things from the qu'ran but then turn around and grab their beer.Perhaps they still think that they are in the times of Elijah Muhammad. Anywyas, Lupe Fiasco is born a muslim and seems to know what he's talking about when he mentions Islam. I listened to his album yesterday and I have to admit that it is a breath of fresh air. Maybe some people wont like him, but he's bringing something new to the table and is very creative.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 25 Sep 2006, 23:00

jdefoe wrote:Yeah, i love the song Jesus Walks, Kanye West makes a great tribute to Jesus considering most people will not mention god in their songs. Plus, Kanye does respect Jesus. He never did shoot homies up on the block or abuse women...
Yeah Kanye West is actually a Born Again Christian. He's probably the only rapper who is a real Christian.

If you summarize all other modern rap lyrics it goes likes this - drugs, sex, weed, crime, cap some homies, "n" word this "n" word that. Dosent sound Christian to me.

G-Unit-Freestyler

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 04 Oct 2006, 05:47

Tupac's still the dopest.

A year ago, I found G-Unit pretty dope, but I started getting into Tupac and his stuffs the realest. His lyrics have some meaning in it while G-Unit is all commercial.

ultimate_defender

Post by ultimate_defender » 05 Oct 2006, 02:49

vcssoccer_01 wrote:ok so rappers all over are always wearing crosses and when they win awards for singing about smackin up bitches and selling crack and doing drivebys and going to the "candy shop", they always say "i want to thank God for influencing my music and my life" wait... as far as i knew, God doesn't smack bitches, snort crack, shoot his homies on the block, and i don't even know if He CAN go to the "candy shop". so what's what with these rappers? do you guys think they really are christians with some flaws, or are they preaching a fake sermon for public acceptance?

That's a common misconception...you havt to remeber theres rap...and "Gangsta Rap"...there's actually more groups split within rap but i don't have enough time to go indepth

Rap/Hip-hop - Will Smith, Kanye west, Chingy,LL cool J, T-pain, Eminem....alright maybe not the last two...

Gangsta rap (East coast, West coast) - Ice Cube, 50 cent, 2pac, Busta Rhymes, Mystikal, basically anyone who claims to have shoot.....been shot or be part of a Gang.....

Not to mention Christian Rap - Kirk Franklin and G.P.

Don't get me wrong...there are rappers that will thank god for there double platinum c.d. title "Smack dem hoes while i cap a bitch" but there are others who are spiritual...

But you can't have a broad generalization like that....

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 05 Oct 2006, 18:33

Rap/Hip-hop - Will Smith, Kanye west, Chingy,LL cool J, T-pain, Eminem....alright maybe not the last two...
Rap is actually under hip hop. Hip hop is the whole urban culture in general. It includes the lifestyle, graffiti, skateboarding, rap, rnb, and all that. Under Rap u got those divisions you were talking about.

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 05 Oct 2006, 20:28

G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:Tupac's still the dopest.

A year ago, I found G-Unit pretty dope, but I started getting into Tupac and his stuffs the realest. His lyrics have some meaning in it while G-Unit is all commercial.
Yeah, I found that dead rappers have much more meaning and truth to their songs compared to alive rappers.

I myself, prefer Notorious BIG, especially "Juicy", now that is a song with meaning in it.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 05 Oct 2006, 21:43

then again he had some other songs with themes that didnt have that much meaning to it. I like him because of his lyricism though. Just analyze his rhyme scheme and wordplay and you will see why he is one of the greatest. Big L is really underrated too. They always say Biggie and Pac but people forget about Big L and Big Pun too. I agree with you that nowadays the music is too commercial. Thats why im going back and trying to discover some people I may have missed. Nas on Illmatic was a beast he was deep, had a crazy flow and word play too. there are so many talented rappers that I cant even think of all of them, but its a good idea to listen to some music from before.

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 30 Oct 2006, 19:26

Yeah, I found that dead rappers have much more meaning and truth to their songs compared to alive rappers.

I myself, prefer Notorious BIG, especially "Juicy", now that is a song with meaning in it.
I forgot to say that I've found something in Juicy. In the first verse, B.I.G. says:

"Time to get paid,
blow up like the World Trade"

Taking into account that this song was released in 1995, it is rather odd. :roll:

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 21 Feb 2007, 13:53

This is a little off topic but if you listen to freestyle, you need to listen to Iron Solomon.
Every single battle I've watched him in has resulted in straight defeat in all rounds for his opponent.
Often, he is discredited as he is white and has thick glasses, so he always surprises his opponent with hot punchlines.
Here are a few of his battles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4KpBgrUKwgE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7o_gmifFyTM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwG_axzJ_7Y
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwG_axzJ_7Y

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 21 Feb 2007, 21:35

I only watched the last one, but that guy Madness was AWFUL! He had no rhythm or flow, and honestly, I would have laughed in his face if he started going at me.

God damn brewery!!!