Soccer doesn't feel fun anymore

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Mike

Like everyone in this site, I love soccer, but lately it hasn't been the same. I've noticed I do not have fun anymore at practises, the game seems to...mechanical. I also havn't been able to keep a steady, consistent training routine. I have tried making a whole month of individual training, but still for some reason I end up not following it. I either leave it behind or just ignore the drills. I don't why this happening, probably has something to do with the mental part of soccer. Any advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mike :(

jdefoe
Forum groupie

first ask yourself, why this is so? When you find out why, ask yourself "do you really train to become the best player you can be?"
Once you find this reason, you will be suddenly motivated to go out and finish all your individual training.

Go by this motivational quote:
"there is someone out there practicing right now, and when you meet him in competition, he will win"

Therefore, to succeed, you gotta find that inner strength within you to do the training, and not give up, so you can be the best player possible.

expert
Site Admin

Productive training/performing requires your full attention. It sounds like you have other things on your mind (which is completely normal). I recommend that you take a break. Forget about football until you’ve resolved these issues. If you’re currently obligated to a team, talk to your coach about taking a few days off.

Mike

Thanks for your replies. Come to think of it expert, I do have many things on my mind. I will try what you suggested and let you know how it goes.

Mike

jdefoe
Forum groupie

yes, great advice given by the expert, but i'm thinking that you have lost your inside motivation when you fail to train for the game that you love. Try relaxation techniques, take a little break from the game, and read this post by the expert: http://www.expertfootball.com/gossip/answer.php?qid=591

madridfc
Veteran Member

dude, what you need to do is find a patch of grass, and jsut juggle a ball and have some fun. don't worry about school, or anything else, just juggle. its a great way to meet people too. i do it on the green in my town as much as i can in the summer.

a little while ago i was talking to an old (and brilliant) soccer coach on the phone and i was really depressed about how i may not be able to play division 1 soccer (the highest level of soccer in the US in college if you're not familliar with this) in college. she said that even so, i should just remember why i love the game. what brings joy to me when i play the game? my answer is juggling, showing off flashy moves (my, that was cocky, wasn't it?) and just having a great time juggling on the green, without a care in the world.

so this is how i personally would deal with your problem, but you must ask youself : What brings joy to me when i play soccer? and do what it takes to remember this and bring your love of the game back.

The best of luck to you, Mike

Mike

Well thanks for your advice madridfc, but the one thing i love most about soccer is kind of hard to do all the time in a place like Canada. I love playing soccer just for a good time, like a pick up game or scrimmage. Something that doesn't make me nervous. And here it is hard to organize many pick up games.

Mike

your favorite pimp

yeah I agree with madrid juggling is the best thing in the world sometimes you just have too many practices and you just kind of burn out I remember when I was on my school and club teams at the same time I would have like 2 practices a day everyday monday to friday plus games during the week and on saturday. for me to sort of maintain the peak that I hit about midseason I decided that I needed to sort of go back to basics. so i started to go jogging and i started juggling with some of my friends after school and that helps put fun back in the game

erivera

You said that when you played the game it feels a bit too mechanical. If it does i suggest playing a bit more spontaneous. Its just what i think.

Mike

Ok I will try it out, thanks for the advice. :D

NP2020
New User

Wow, these were written in 2004-2005 it’s NOW 2020. If you guys were little teenagers/young adults back then, my my, you guys must be in your 30’s or 40’s now!

I’d be amazed if one of you replied to this :D

expert
Site Admin

NP2020 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 02:58
Wow, these were written in 2004-2005 it’s NOW 2020. If you guys were little teenagers/young adults back then, my my, you guys must be in your 30’s or 40’s now!
This forum is very much a time-capsule from a different era.
Back then this forum was *the place* to chat with other soccer players online. :)