should I write a book?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Hey EF users, do you think: 1) I have the skills to write a decent soccer book for technically intermediate users

2) I have the writing skills, and ability to do so? I was thinking about keeping all my ideas from the forums together and to write a book someday when I get even better so I can show other people what I have done.

Any opinions?
Last edited by jdefoe on 21 Jan 2006, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Why not, some of your posts have been awesome, could be a good book for those wanting to pactice everyday by them self on the basics.
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

Sputnik

a book as in one of those how to play football books by the pros?
im sorry jdefoe but no... although you are awesome here on this site i feel you will probably lack experience and the full package to make a book. That is a probably because i dont know you, but im just trying to be sensible as most ppl will say 'Yea ur brilliant youll do it easy'. Its a lot of hard work.

However i think you have (already) the writing skills and technical knolwedge to create a comprehensive... mini guide book type of thing on training and technique... that i would buy. An maybe a book in the future dude
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Thanks for the replies FC and sputnik, when I meant book, I didn't mean like a book that was supposed to be written like "advanced strategies and tactics for winning soccer", I more so mean like a guide book for individual training. Something more so on goal setting to maximum performance and making your training the best possible. If I do get up to a pro or semi pro level, I will definitely think about it.

peps1154
Veteran Member

I do think you should write it, however I don't think anyone would buy it. For example if I go to a bookstore and see a book on soccer I pick it up and check the acomplishments of the writer (Did he play at the top level? Was he a coach? Did he finish some collage on the fitness topic?). If you have none I doubt anyone would buy it because if they aren't sure you know what your talking about then why purchase your book?

jdefoe
Forum groupie

peps1154 wrote:I do think you should write it, however I don't think anyone would buy it. For example if I go to a bookstore and see a book on soccer I pick it up and check the acomplishments of the writer (Did he play at the top level? Was he a coach? Did he finish some collage on the fitness topic?). If you have none I doubt anyone would buy it because if they aren't sure you know what your talking about then why purchase your book?
That's true, thats why i'm continuing my studies so I can get a good coaching degree, and have a strong backround in human kinetics so I can talk about muscle movements, and therefore with that extra knowledge, it would help people understand that its coming from an expert in the domain.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I think if u get ur degree in coaching and study well in human kinetics, you should definetly write a book. Your posts on this site have contributed to helping many people improve their skills through simple training routines. I think if u work hard enough ur book will be great.
P.S. if i gets published, i'll buy it :D

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

do you have enough material, you wrote only maybe like six guides or something like that. they are mostly offensive guides also. you should wait a while to achieve certain accomplishments that have been noted in previous posts.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

prof_raza

good idea. ur guides have been very insightful.
harness the power of the internet - believe in open source 8)
u cud just write it and distribute it for free if u dont mind
i wud nt mind chipping with some sort of help if possible
thnx dude

jdefoe
Forum groupie

if i write it, all EF users who regularly post in the skills section will get a copy for free

Bestofthebest

jdefoe wrote:if i write it, all EF users who regularly post in the skills section will get a copy for free
:lol: yes, your knowledge is much appreciated
Join this Forum: http://footyclips.com/forum

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

i kind of agree with peps. i think you definitely have the knowledge to write a book, judging by your guides, which have been very helpful. it's just that you don't have many credentials that really would make people think "oh, this book was written by a pro, it's gotta be good." once you get a good coaching degree, and finish school, i think that would be a great idea though. by then you should be able to have even more helpful suggestions, thus making it a much better book.
Hala Galacticos

upandcoming

Jdefoe I think you could write a book in the future but don't be to quick to jump at the chance. Yes continue compiling information and write ideas but as others have said I would wait until you have finished your study's so you will be more reconisable. I think once that happens you could write a great book. There are not enough books about skills you can practise by your self and to many books about skill you can practise as a team.

Kew

hey man, and everyone else on this forum.

it takes years literally to write a book. I started mine two years ago and i'm not even half way...(but then it's a triology....anyways)
I say go for it, start now, gather everything you've written, everything you know.

make notes, remake notes, interview star players, interview coaches, interview doctors, interview newbies who you taught, watch games, analyse games, write, rewrite, draft, redraft, read, reread, distribute it on EF to ask for opinions, edit, redistrbute, ask for more opinions, reedit...find publisher, convince publisher, find another publisher, convince another pubclisher, visit around 5 publishers, find one and hope they'll take u on board....

i say start now...you'll gain a lot more experience this way too, because you're actively pursueing.

good luck, and i'll buy a copy too.

Becks7
New User

Kew wrote:hey man, and everyone else on this forum.

it takes years literally to write a book. I started mine two years ago and i'm not even half way...(but then it's a triology....anyways)
I say go for it, start now, gather everything you've written, everything you know.

make notes, remake notes, interview star players, interview coaches, interview doctors, interview newbies who you taught, watch games, analyse games, write, rewrite, draft, redraft, read, reread, distribute it on EF to ask for opinions, edit, redistrbute, ask for more opinions, reedit...find publisher, convince publisher, find another publisher, convince another pubclisher, visit around 5 publishers, find one and hope they'll take u on board....

i say start now...you'll gain a lot more experience this way too, because you're actively pursueing.

good luck, and i'll buy a copy too.
very good post Kew. that's the right way , i think .. 8)
"You can't just play football. You've got to have the sway" - Robinho , Brazil