Your pre-game routine

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
soccer11
Admin

I just wanted to know if anyone has a special pregame routine that they do, like the way you tie your laces, how you tape yourself up, how you get dressed and so on. I find that most soccer players are superstitious, and if they had a good game they will do the same thing or they might try to do the same thing every game day. So the queston is what is your routine if you have one?

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

i just put on my right shoe before my left. i don't know why, but it just seems like i'm off when i switch the order

erivera

I've never really told anybody this but when i play for my team i end up playing for various positions. Wathcing soccer has helped me get an understanding of the game. when i am getting ready to play in a position i imagine myself as a world-class player in the position im in. When im a Forward i imagine myself as Fernando Torres,(Spanish International, Athletico de Madrid) a truly phenominal player who rarely misses a chance and has meticulous finishing. If im a defender i imagine myself as Paolo Maldini (Italian International, AC Milan) A ferocious defender who is physical, focused, and effective. I follow most of the players that i imagine myself as so when im in their position, i just do what they would do in that situation. This gets me ready in games. Weird but true.

madridfc
Veteran Member

thats a great idea erivera! maybe i'll try that out! it sounds like it must work!
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

jdefoe
Forum groupie

I dont have any routines. You know why? Because if I happen to go on the pitch without having done something in my routine, it will affect my concentration, and my ability to perform on the pitch because i'll be thinking about it too much.

edma
Sophomore Member

i also dont have any special routines.i only eat healty food,take multi-vitamin,wear football brand clothes also always play and training football skill everyday..
i want to improve my football skill from dribling to shooting.plz help me...

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

another thing i do is to pretend pele is watching. i guess it's not a routine, but erivera's thing made me think of that.

erivera

lol
dats hilarious....no offense

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

yeah i know, i'm a little weird when it comes to preparing for games :D

I usually play sweep so i need to be composed and relaxed during the game. What i do is i get to my position just before kick off and squat down and grab some of the grass and run it through my hands. I dont know why but this really helps me focus on the game.

madridfc
Veteran Member

at this summer camp i go to (not soccer-specific) there was a soccer team and the keeper had this really cool routine before PKs (yes, we went into PKs, and yes, he did it before every single one). so it went something like this: he walks over to the left post, and sort of shuffles bent over picking up grass and dropping it over to the right post, then he goes to the middle, jumps and touches the crossbar. then he's ready. i really think it helped him immensely. after that he was focused, pumped, and ready to make the save of his life. it was great
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

Maradona
Veteran Member

That's weird, well at least it worked for him. I don't have any routines I just play soccer with normal clothing wearing indoor soccer shoes (adidas DX-1)
Just wanna enjoy my game.Simple.

My friend wears his Morrocan national jersey with his name behind. It brings him luck that's what he says.
The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn’t move, kick it until it does.

dooglas
Veteran Member

No routines, JUST FOOTBALL BABY....once the ball touches your foot, all that melts away.
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I clean my shoes the night before a game. Just something I do. I don't think it brings me any luck.

speedbump
New User

I always step on the pitch with my left foot first and with my right off of it. I'm a lefty! ;-)