Religion

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
Post Reply
J
Admin
Posts: 1696
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 20:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post

ballasyder wrote:I read you other post
"I think its a great thing to learn things from a religon and use them in your everyday life, but to follow a religon word for word is definelty being weak minded in my opinion. Why not come to your own conclusions about things in life that you have learned from several different sources."

So i guess you are humanist. I don't want to you to think i'm some christian trying to convert evryone but i do have some concerns with that view. I would recomened reading cs lewis's book Mere Christianity, it will talk about everything you have talked about and is amied at finding truth in a non bias way. cs lewis is one of the greates thinkers of the last century. just look into it. and if you have any questions you truly want answered just try this website and see if you like it. you can ask them questions and they'll answer you within a few days.

http://www.gotquestions.org/
I could really care less what anyone wants to label me as :) Instead of directing me to a book or a website, what is it that you find wrong with my views? I'd rather here it from you since you just stated that.

Also, I assume that is you in the quotes responding to my post? For future reference, there is a 'quote' button in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote. Just click on that and then you will be able to quote that post and then respond :)

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

lol yea sorry i'm an idiot. I do agree with you that you can find things from different religions that are useful but i think they are useful if they line up with christianity because there are bits of truth in other religions. The point is that if we are the ones who make the standard of truth than there will be millions of so called truths because everyone will find something different. So where would the standard be? How can man understand why he is here all by himself. he can't even gather one/miilionth of the truth in the universe. what makes people think they can understand the meaning of life when they can't even understand most of their personal problems. I'm just saying man is just like satan, man wants to be his own god and do what ever he wants or thinks is right because he loves himself more than anything else(that's reasonable if you don't believe in a god). And how can you trust so many sources don't you think out of all of them some would be false? I'm not sure what your view is of the after life or if you believe in one at all but there is only one way to heaven and that is jesus.

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

I hope any one who is interested in finding truth does the research and never stops because things are always changing. I'm still making sure christianity is a solid rock foundation and will continue for the rest of my life because i want to know truth. If something is more reasonable i'll follow that but that has yet to happen. So i challenge anyone who is truely interested in finding the meaning of life and truth to do what it takes so we don't walk through life as ignorrant people thinking that whatever fits our desires or whatever someone elses view is or what we read in the latest magazine is the ultimate truth. We should find out what we can. What if you died and whatever you believed in was wrong and had to suffer the consequences?

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

oh J, sorry if it came across as me labeling you. I didn't mean it to come across that way. but seriously check out those resources. You are in this thread for a reason and because of that it seems as if you are wanting to know more so just give them a quick glance because there is way too much info 4 me to give from those resources. Peace out!


"I could really care less what anyone wants to label me as Instead of directing me to a book or a website, what is it that you find wrong with my views?"

LYM.randy
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: 06 May 2006, 06:27
Location: washington DC

Post

You are by far one of the most thoughtful young christians I have come across! It really gives me hope for the future that fellow Americans carry themselves in this way, which I call "the American Intellectual Tradition". Just remember! Never stop trying to reason with other people! And not just about Christ, but about anything where understanding is flawed.
Because if Ben Frankling was right and this nation could only work if each of us was a "philosopher king", then wisdowm is the greatest thing any of us has to offer!

In response to J...its a longer story but yea its true. I hate it because I would be able to remember a lot more and study more if I didn't damage my brain with copious amounts of narcotics :/

Oh, and about:
ballasyder
PostPosted: Aug 29, 2:28 am Post subject:
lol yea sorry i'm an idiot. I do agree with you that you can find things from different religions that are useful but i think they are useful if they line up with christianity because there are bits of truth in other religions. The point is that if we are the ones who make the standard of truth than there will be millions of so called truths because everyone will find something different. So where would the standard be? How can man understand why he is here all by himself. he can't even gather one/miilionth of the truth in the universe. what makes people think they can understand the meaning of life when they can't even understand most of their personal problems. I'm just saying man is just like satan, man wants to be his own god and do what ever he wants or thinks is right because he loves himself more than anything else(that's reasonable if you don't believe in a god). And how can you trust so many sources don't you think out of all of them some would be false? I'm not sure what your view is of the after life or if you believe in one at all but there is only one way to heaven and that is jesus.
I get what your saying which is relevant in our society where there is no metric for truth and everyone merely holds some set of opinions in a "you have your truth I have mine" attitude, but I appreciate other religions in another way.
Have you ever heard the "story of the rings" or Gotthold Lessing's "Nathan the Wise"?
Basicly, in the story, there is a ring of great value in a family...It is passed on through generations, and three boys are waiting for their father to choose one of them.
After the father dies, eventually the boys discover that each one of them has an identical ring so that none of them can tell the difference!
After much frustration and bickereing they seek wise council.
They are told " Your father loved you all so much, that he couldn't bear to choose one of you to leave the ring! So he gave each of you a different ring, with the same value...the value which is the immeasurable love of your father"
I find different religions are like this...And that they don't destroy truth in this sense. Because the truth is like a city...You can photograph it from many different angles, and each photograph will be different....But it is still the same city :)

J
Admin
Posts: 1696
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 20:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post

ballasyder wrote: You are in this thread for a reason and because of that it seems as if you are wanting to know more.
I'm here because I enjoy debating about things like this at times, and also because I like to make people think about why they believe so much in what they believe as well as myself. :)

You are correct, I do want to know more. I am interested in where people come from (their state of mind) in different parts of the country and world and this is great place to learn talk about things like this. :) Although I would much rather debate in person because in can be difficult and frustrating at times tying to debate like this on a forum, but oh well.

J
Admin
Posts: 1696
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 20:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post

ballasyder wrote: How can man understand why he is here all by himself. he can't even gather one/miilionth of the truth in the universe. what makes people think they can understand the meaning of life when they can't even understand most of their personal problems.
What makes you think man is supposed to understand the truth of the universe? The meaning of life is to live. People like to make it much more complicated than it should be in my opinion. People like to think way too much into many issues in life and it causes ALOT of problems for themselves and society as a whole. I think that life and living should be much more simple than mankind has evolved into.

Why is it that people distract themselves all day long with things? When was the last time you sat somewhere with your own thoughts without a computer, book, tv, or other people, etc.. distracting you?
ballasyder wrote:I'm just saying man is just like satan, man wants to be his own god and do what ever he wants or thinks is right because he loves himself more than anything else(that's reasonable if you don't believe in a god). And how can you trust so many sources don't you think out of all of them some would be false? I'm not sure what your view is of the after life or if you believe in one at all but there is only one way to heaven and that is jesus.
I think that weather people believe in god or not, they are very selfish in the world and mankind has been for a long time now. Do you know how species we have put to extinction for our own good. Who is say that our own existence is more important?

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

J you said
"What makes you think man is supposed to understand the truth of the universe? The meaning of life is to live. People like to make it much more complicated than it should be in my opinion. People like to think way too much into many issues in life and it causes ALOT of problems for themselves and society as a whole. I think that life and living should be much more simple than mankind has evolved into."

If we don't think about the meaning of life we are just being ignorrant of things because we only think about things skin deep and not anything more. Everyone is concerned about death because we were born with eternity in our hearts and we think we are being robbed of eternity by way of death. Some people may say they don't care about death but that's most likely because they are too comfortable in their life or they are caught up in their everyday life and they feel invincible. Some people also don't care because they want to live life to the fullest. the reason they do this is because they feel they should fit in the most amount of fun before they die because they don't want to die. In other word they try to even tha scales of have the most fun(positive) and death(negative).

LYM.randy
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: 06 May 2006, 06:27
Location: washington DC

Post

Not too mention that even if a number of us decided we would live life not investigating important questions, and be simple...
There will be others who will think about those things and determine the course of human events FOR you if you don't participate.
IE.
The german peasant who never voted or read the paper had his world changed FOR him by european fascism in the last century.

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

That's so true! And what a scary place the world would be if most people were like that.

J
Admin
Posts: 1696
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 20:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post

ballasyder wrote:If we don't think about the meaning of life we are just being ignorrant of things because we only think about things skin deep and not anything more.
Most people DO think about "the meaning of life" and in most cases it causes war, corruption, addiction, depression, and the biggest problem of them all... insecurities within themselves.
ballasyder wrote:Everyone is concerned about death because we were born with eternity in our hearts
No, people are "concerned" about death because the strongest instinct a human has is to SURVIVE!!...along with every other living thing on this planet. The difference is that we have a brain capable of thinking about 'death' and what could happen after life. So we talk about things like "heaven" and "eternal life", to make us feel better with such an unknown thing.

Why can't people just be satisfied with the life we have now? Especially alot of us talking about this who have it made compared to some people in the world.
LYM.randy wrote:Not too mention that even if a number of us decided we would live life not investigating important questions, and be simple...
There will be others who will think about those things and determine the course of human events FOR you if you don't participate.
IE.
The german peasant who never voted or read the paper had his world changed FOR him by european fascism in the last century.
There is a difference between ignorance and 'living simple'.

---------------------------------------------------------

Just so you guys know I do believe in 'god' in some type of way. It's hard for me to explain, but I really do. I don't believe in any one certain religon, but I do think that every religon has some very good thoughts.

Every night before I go to bed, I thank "something" (weather if it's even just to myelf) that I am healthy, I was able to stay 'safe' that day, and that I have what I have. I think many people take way too much for granted in this life (including myself).

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

Well the reason people have the survive instinct is because if they don't they will die and that's what they're scared of. That's why they want to survive or live. If we weren't afraid of death we wouldn't try to so hard to survive. Also having no purpose causes depression. Also bad religion causes war. Christianity doesn't cause war. But you may say well what about they crusades, well if they were true christians they wouldn't kill people. true christians follow what the bible says.

ballasyder
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: 18 Aug 2006, 04:32
Location: USA

Post

That's great that you have a thankful heart because it's something that a lot of people are missing. And im glad to here you say that. You seem like a cool and very interesting person.

Sputnik
Moderator
Posts: 1856
Joined: 02 Nov 2005, 21:47
Location: London, ENG

Post

ballasyder wrote:Well the reason people have the survive instinct is because if they don't they will die and that's what they're scared of. That's why they want to survive or live. If we weren't afraid of death we wouldn't try to so hard to survive.
well its not just people, every organism on the planets soul purpose and instinct is to survive.... are they all afraid of death? plants? aomebas? i dont think so, its something that is more fundamental and not really linked.
ballasyder wrote:Also bad religion causes war. Christianity doesn't cause war. But you may say well what about they crusades, well if they were true christians they wouldn't kill people. true christians follow what the bible says.
christianity has caused a lot of wars in the past. the conflict in ireland is between christians. technically the whole war in the middle east and war on terror has been 'caused' by christians (or so the the islamic extremists).
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

LYM.randy
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: 06 May 2006, 06:27
Location: washington DC

Post

no religious conflict is just a convenient veneer for what is always a question of power politics...

it was this way during the cursades, and it is now in the middle east.

Post Reply