Religion

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
LYM.randy

huh thats interesting!
My parents just went to church for screwed up reasons and I got into a lot of punk rock and drugs and stuff.

See my dad believed God had to exist but could care less about us (like some Aristotelian factory manager lol) and he was dragged to church every once in a while by my mom who kind of believed and then when I started screwing up my life and stuff she went crazy and became a born again christian and lost all will to hold rational discussion.

So...After a lot of studying particularly science, and philosphy...I began to come back to my senses lol

and now I'm an economist for a non-profit trying to make the world a little better

ballasyder

That's a great story! It's amazing the transformation some people go through. [/quote]

J
Admin

LYM.randy wrote:huh thats interesting!
My parents just went to church for screwed up reasons and I got into a lot of punk rock and drugs and stuff.
I don't know if you are being serious or not?

But if you are, why church? Why not a temple?

ballasyder

sorry about the quote thing, i don't know what happened. but it's very interesting talking with you!

ballasyder

I'm not the one this question is intended for but what do you mean by temple instead of church?

J
Admin

A 'temple' is where jewish people go to practice their beliefs.

ballasyder

Also I don't think he's kidding because I've heard a lot of amazing stories such as that from other christians as well.

ballasyder

oh I know that but i guess i didn't understand the meaning of the question

J
Admin

ballasyder wrote:Also I don't think he's kidding because I've heard a lot of amazing stories such as that from other christians as well.
I wasn't questioning him because of the story. It was only because he is sarcastic at times. :)
Last edited by J on 29 Aug 2006, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

J
Admin

ballasyder wrote:oh I know that but i guess i didn't understand the meaning of the question
He said his parents went to church for "screwed up reasons" (assuming to get 'help').

So I asked why a church, why not a temple?

ballasyder

oh

ballasyder

J, if your willing to say, what are your beleifs and were they formed by your parents? I was just wondering from your post earlier.

J
Admin

My mother grew up as a catholic and my father grew up in a jewish family.

I have been to both church and temple. I think every religon has some very good thoughts and ideas, but I would never consider myself of any certain religon.

I have seen MANY sides to life and taken things in that I felt were worthy of me thinking about and remembering along the way.

Here is the the first post I made in this thread on the first page:
J wrote:In some type of way I do believe in god, but religon is a crutch for the weak minded in my opinion. The bible wasnt born in your hands, another human put it there.

Another thing i would like to point out is i have heard alot of people say that you need to believe in jesus to go to heaven and have eternal life, so does that mean that some kid in a poor country who has to find food all day so he doesnt starve, and has to worry about the basic needs of life every single day, isnt going to heaven because he was never even given the chance to learn about jesus??

ballasyder

I read you other post
"I think its a great thing to learn things from a religon and use them in your everyday life, but to follow a religon word for word is definelty being weak minded in my opinion. Why not come to your own conclusions about things in life that you have learned from several different sources."

So i guess you are humanist. I don't want to you to think i'm some christian trying to convert evryone but i do have some concerns with that view. I would recomened reading cs lewis's book Mere Christianity, it will talk about everything you have talked about and is amied at finding truth in a non bias way. cs lewis is one of the greates thinkers of the last century. just look into it. and if you have any questions you truly want answered just try this website and see if you like it. you can ask them questions and they'll answer you within a few days.

http://www.gotquestions.org/

ballasyder

sorry again, i must be an idiot. i still haven't got down the quote thing.