Religion

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
NewBornProdigy
Admin

klc123 wrote:Religion, in my opinion isn't flawed, because it can be interpreted in many ways, so it can be interpreted the right way. You could say that is a flaw in itself, but how many things can be interpreted in only one single way.
Religion like all things is flawed... Theres nothing on the planet that is perfect. Theres always a downside to compliment the good

The flaws of religion are their to mask the good or reward for those who dig deep into them to discover a religions spiritual purity

The whole principle behind acheiving peace of mind is the pain or suffering it takes to reach it

You have to put sh*t on a flower to make it grow :D

There is not right way of interpreting anything. No offence is meant by me, but most of your posts have very one dimensional outlooks. You need a better capacity to be wrong

matt
EF Forum Legend

Anyone read this before? It's pretty good.

"Gerin Oil (or Geriniol to give it its scientific name) is a powerful drug which acts directly on the central nervous system to produce a range of symptoms, often of an anti-social or self-damaging nature. It can permanently modify the child brain to produce adult disorders, including dangerous delusions which are hard to treat. The four doomed flights of September 11th 2001 were Gerin Oil trips: all nineteen of the hijackers were high on the drug at the time. Historically, Geriniolism was responsible for atrocities such as the Salem Witch Hunts and the massacres of Native South Americans by Conquistadores. Gerin Oil fuelled most of the wars of the European Middle Ages and, in more recent times, the carnage that attended the partitioning of the Indian subcontinent and of Ireland.

Gerin Oil intoxication can drive previously sane individuals to run away from a normally fulfilled human life and retreat to closed communities of confirmed addicts. These communities are usually limited to one sex only, and they vigorously, often obsessively, forbid sexual activity. Indeed, a tendency towards agonized sexual prohibition emerges as a drably recurring theme amid all the colourful variations of Gerin Oil symptomatology. Gerin Oil does not seem to reduce the libido per se, but it frequently leads to a preoccupation with reducing the sexual pleasure of others. A current example is the prurience with which many habitual 'Oilers' condemn homosexuality.

As with other drugs, refined Gerin Oil in low doses is largely harmless, and can serve as a lubricant on social occasions such as marriages, funerals, and state ceremonies. Experts differ over whether such social tripping, though harmless in itself, is a risk factor for upgrading to harder and more addictive forms of the drug.

Medium doses of Gerin Oil, though not in themselves dangerous, can distort perceptions of reality. Beliefs that have no basis in fact are immunized, by the drug's direct effects on the nervous system, against evidence from the real world. Oil-heads can be heard talking to thin air or muttering to themselves, apparently in the belief that private wishes so expressed will come true, even at the cost of other people's welfare and mild violation of the laws of physics. This autolocutory disorder is often accompanied by weird tics and hand gestures, manic stereotypies such as rhythmic head-nodding toward a wall, or Obsessive Compulsive Orientation Syndrome' (OCOS: facing towards the east five times a day).

Gerin Oil in strong doses is hallucinogenic. Hardcore mainliners may hear voices in the head, or experience visual illusions which seem to the sufferers so real that they often succeed in persuading others of their reality. An individual who convincingly reports high-grade hallucinations may be venerated, and even followed as some kind of leader, by others who regard themselves as less fortunate. Such follower-pathology can long post-date the original leader's death, and may expand into bizarre psychedelia such as the cannibalistic fantasy of 'drinking the blood and eating the flesh' of the leader.

Chronic abuse of Geriniol can lead to 'bad trips', in which the user suffers terrifying delusions, including fears of being tortured, not in the real world but in a postmortem fantasy world. Bad trips of this kind are bound up with a morbid punishment-lore which is as characteristic of this drug as the obsessive fear of sexuality already noted. The punishment-culture fostered by Gerin Oil ranges from 'smack' through 'lash' to getting 'stoned' (especially adulteresses and rape victims), and 'demanifestation' (amputation of one hand), up to the sinister fantasy of allo-punishment or 'cross-topping', the execution of one individual for the sins of others.

You might think that such a potentially dangerous and addictive drug would head the list of proscribed intoxicants, with exemplary sentences handed out for pushing it. But no, it is readily obtainable anywhere in the world and you don't even need a prescription. Professional traffickers are numerous, and organized in hierarchical cartels, openly trading on street corners and in purpose-made buildings. Some of these cartels are adept at fleecing poor people desperate to feed their habit. 'Godfathers' occupy influential positions in high places, and they have the ear of Royalty, of Presidents and Prime Ministers. Governments don't just turn a blind eye to the trade, they grant it tax-exempt status. Worse, they subsidize schools founded with the specific intention of getting children hooked."
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Hugh
Veteran Member

"The biblical account of Noah's Ark and the Flood is perhaps the most implausible story for fundamentalists to defend. Where, for example, while loading his ark, did Noah find penguins and polar bears in Palestine?” -Judith Hayes.

Wish I'd thought of that myself.

klc123
Veteran Member

Everyone knows that story isn't real, it is used to teach morales and lessons, who are you trying to argue with?

matt
EF Forum Legend

What lessons does it teach exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the story starts with God drowning all the men and animals (the fish, and birds that can swim, get off easy) for their wicked ways, except Noah and his family. Why did the animals Noah wasn't instructed to save have to suffer too?

klc123
Veteran Member

It's suppose to teach you not to ask stupid questions on forums, and claiming to know something about a Religion, when in reality you know a lot less than you think.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Must have missed that bit of the Bible...

Once again rather than being willing to engage in a discussion or a debate you resort to personal attacks so I'm going to wait for someone else to offer a contribution.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

matt wrote:What lessons does it teach exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the story starts with God drowning all the men and animals (the fish, and birds that can swim, get off easy) for their wicked ways, except Noah and his family. Why did the animals Noah wasn't instructed to save have to suffer too?
Its teaching that Gods people (people who beleive in him or welcome his teachings/followers) will be saved and favoured over the sinners of mankind

The Old Testament is very much an interpretation scripture, there are some beautifully depicted stories but they are very hard to take seriously, if your intrested in poetry, literature or history at all its an alright read

Bar the few pages near the end of Genisis about the biblical bloodlines its fairly interesting

^^^Something like that so hard klc?

klc123
Veteran Member

^^^Something like that so hard klc?
Yeah, you done a good job though.

matt
EF Forum Legend

NewBornProdigy wrote:
Its teaching that Gods people (people who beleive in him or welcome his teachings/followers) will be saved and favoured over the sinners of mankind

The Old Testament is very much an interpretation scripture, there are some beautifully depicted stories but they are very hard to take seriously, if your intrested in poetry, literature or history at all its an alright read

Bar the few pages near the end of Genisis about the biblical bloodlines its fairly interesting
I've always found it a bit of a hard message to absorb, mainly because of the drowning all the animals bit. And what about the children of the people doing all the sinning?

I think the kicker for me was that at the church school I went to as a young child, we were told that the rainbow was a sign of a promise from God that he would never inflict such damage on the world again. I think the people of Haiti, Pakistan and New Orleans (just to name a few off the top of my head) would have problems with that bit.

But I can't disagree with you on that as works of fiction go, the Old Testament is a pretty good read.

These are good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDeJEtHZ-KU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Here's a question:

What does a godless person say about not measuring up to his/her own moral standards? Or, is this situation impossible?

soccer11
Admin

Nat_H wrote:Here's a question:

What does a godless person say about not measuring up to his/her own moral standards? Or, is this situation impossible?
From the way I understand your question I think the best way to sum that up for me is to use the famous Abraham Lincoln quote
Good ole Honest Abe wrote:When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
Is that what you meant?

Hugh
Veteran Member

Nat_H wrote:Here's a question:

They rationalize it away or find a way to make up for their mistake.

How do religious people do it?

shahensha
Veteran Member

Well what you said, and the whole asking god for forgiveness and strength in making up for their mistake.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

The question of what is "done" about "sin" is very open-ended. I like S11's answer....I was really getting at whether a godless person would consider it wrong to fail at one's own standards.

About what Hugh said, if personal failure can be rationalized, is it failure at all? Then, can a godless person do wrong?