rugby or american football?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer

Which sport is physically tougher?

rugby
71%
american football
29%

Total votes: 42

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

rugby is tougher i watched this video, http://www.break.com/articles/rugbyhits.html
that made my mind up
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

Sputnik

Got off topic, so edited:

im afraid i sadly dont know too much about american football, so my view perhaps isnt as valid than others, but im british so i no a lot about rugby. American Football was derived from rugby, but has been 'americanised' to put on more of a show. Theres not much wrong with it, but there isnt much thats too good about it, illustrated by the fact that only the USA plays it. Everywhere else in the world plays rugby, if anything. Rugby appeals mostly to people most who dislike what, for example, football/soccer has become. For me by putting on a show and making the players the stars that they are, they lose that same audience. Thats why football/soccer took so long to mature in US, because they already had their 'origional, american' American Football. I believe rugby is the true sport, and therefore American football is like wrestling; looks cool, but fake. Of course it isnt fake, but lets just say in rugby u dont go home with any clean part on ur body :wink:
Overall i think Rugby is real, and tough, AF is a show, and not so tough.
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

soccer11
Admin

i voted for rugby but not cuz i like it, in fact, i have no desire to watch rugby and im quite a big football fan. what made me vote for rugby is this: Same tackles except ones wheres about 15 pounds of pads and the other wears none.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Sputnik wrote:Got off topic, so edited:

im afraid i sadly dont know too much about american football, so my view perhaps isnt as valid than others, but im british so i no a lot about rugby. American Football was derived from rugby, but has been 'americanised' to put on more of a show. Theres not much wrong with it, but there isnt much thats too good about it, illustrated by the fact that only the USA plays it. Everywhere else in the world plays rugby, if anything. Rugby appeals mostly to people most who dislike what, for example, football/soccer has become. For me by putting on a show and making the players the stars that they are, they lose that same audience. Thats why football/soccer took so long to mature in US, because they already had their 'origional, american' American Football. I believe rugby is the true sport, and therefore American football is like wrestling; looks cool, but fake. Of course it isnt fake, but lets just say in rugby u dont go home with any clean part on ur body :wink:
Overall i think Rugby is real, and tough, AF is a show, and not so tough.

american football is definitely not just a show. i never played on a team, but here's how i know: shows are usually fun to watch.
Hala Galacticos

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

i played rugby today for the first time in my life and i say that it is tougher than football. Seriously, u need some endurance and a lot of strength for that sport!! And its ongoing you dont rest that much and you run more than in football. I just played today for like 30 minutes and im sore as hell. it was more fun too. u dont need to stop the game everytime someone falls down.

RealMadridFan.inPR
Sophomore Member

I am proud to recall, there is only ONE type of football, the other.. its savaregy. as far as rugby goes, its cool but ive never really played it seriously. http://www.soccer.com/images/catalog/pr ... 5.AP02.JPG
i like that shirt. also this one
http://www.soccer.com/images/catalog/pr ... 4.AP02.JPG
no means of offense to anyonne that plays it btw.

thrillboy
Veteran Member

I think rugby is becasue the players don't have any padding and you could get serious injuries. But football is just as dangerous . There have been some deaths in both rugby and football.

MikeTheMadKeeper
Sophomore Member

I would say probably rugby is tougher but let me tell you, in football, i would know how it feels to get hit especially because i played quarterback and there you get hit a lot from behind and blindsided a lot. I think football requires more skills like jumping and catching for recievers, running and cutting for running backs, and of course throwing and some scrambling ability for quarterbacks. Am. Football also requires you to be smarter than in rugby(no offense to any rugby players out there). The reason is that a quarterback has to memorize A LOT of plays and what EVERYONE is doing on the play, read the defense, look for the hole to throw the ball to the open man, throw it accurately, and sometimes scramble around to not get sacked. I think quarterback is one of if not the hardest position in sports for those reasons. And especially because they are the leader of the team and they are always watched so one mistake and people will rag on you for a long time. Real pressure in that position.

By the way i LOVE those shirts. LOL!!!! I have to get myself one.

norseman

thrillboy wrote:I think rugby is becasue the players don't have any padding and you could get serious injuries. But football is just as dangerous . There have been some deaths in both rugby and football.
As a Yank living down under for 7+ years, American football is by far a rougher sport. Rugby is more of a contact sport were football is a collision sport.

In the states, it doesn't matter what sport, you can play professionally as young as 18 - just as in rugby. There is no possible way kids this age can play at the NFL level. It's just too fast & violent of a sport. Kids that young are still a good 4-6 years away from the NFL.

That, and the NFL can't possibly play a regular season schedule like they do in league, either. If they did, half a team's payers would be gone by season's end.

Besides, the combination speed/strength needed to play is on a different level than rugby/league.

norseman

Croatianblood1 wrote:Rugby is definetlely tougher because they have like no pads on, u gotta be real muscle head to play that sport cause its looks dangerous
Enjoy ;)

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=NFL ... ei%3DUTF-8

zachariah87
Sophomore Member

I like them both! I like the fact that rugby has no pads and they rough it out. American football is great to because those pads make everyone look so much bigger and tougher. This illusion is sweet except the fact they really are big and tough. Both the sports are exciting to watch although I wish the Detroit Lions would step it up.
"I'm sure sex wouldn't be as rewarding as winning the World Cup. It's not that sex isn't good, but the World Cup is every four years and sex is not." Ronaldo, Brazilian player

rugbyequipment1
New User

hi ..
I am Professional Rugby Player. I am Looking for Rugby Fitness and Body Protection Equipment
Suppliers.I heard about Morrant(dot)com.If any one knows about this company,kindly reply this post.

OJ9

lawl at americans thinking AF > Rugby. only reason americans dont like it is because you're shite at it

In England, rugby is no. 2 to football. I go to a rugby based school and have played for 2 years or so. I would play club but i dont because of football. I play 3 years older than my age group and play at fullback (occasionally wing or centre also), one of the most pressurised positions because whenever the 10 chips through or kicks a 'bomb' (high, but not far), I have to catch it. I tell you, in my time I have been screwed by some massive players, front row forwards and second rows just eat you up if you're not on your guard. Apparently for my lack of experience i'm technically excellent and I have the pace, step and kicking ability to play atleast county-level at number 15.

Rugby is much more of a mans game than both the English football and American football. I follow the NFL, and whilst I enjoy it, it is damn slow. My dad saw the 49ers a few years back and fell asleep, its too broken up and only the hail-mary type plays are exciting. Rugby is ALL action for 80 minutes, the players shake hands and do a tunnel and in the professional game, go for a beer afterwards. Rugby lads are far better than footballers, becuase they aren't far up their own ass about how they can do this and that skill. Rugby players don't brag if they are a prop, fly-half, winger, flanker etc, they are a team and it's not about individuals. That's why football is more coveraged in the media, because football is all 'RONALDO ROONEY DROGBA LAMPARD GERRARD' every day, whereas rugby is only coming into that with Cipriani.

Rugby is also better than American football for a few reasons; there is no stops, especially for a forward, who must be hitting rucks the whole game; it is pad free, so the contact isn't softened by 20lbs more weight of plastic and foam; the pressure from a scrum on a front rowers neck is so intense, that if it goes wrong, the hooker could snap his neck in two. Injuries arent half as bad in AF because the players get rest and not as beaten up. I've come off of rugby pitches feeling basically dead, but happy as larry. Rugby is probably the best game in the world for teamwork, comradery and physicality.
ROIUSA wrote: and its defantely more of a tactical game no question. rugby wen played right is fantastic but it can also be slow and without any pace and u kinda can predict wats gunna happen so it really is just a preference.
wut

rugby is equally tactical, there are moves/plays and they are more confusing because not only is it running lines but its intracate ways of passing the ball. rugby can be slow, but thats called a forwards game, a true show of physicality. and theres no way you can predict whats gonna happen, how the hell would you know about different teams moves?

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

you actually make rugby sound pretty cool, too bad there are never any games on in the u.s except during its wc.........
sig by 2brown347

OJ9

I honestly love rugby. It's a real mans game; beat the sh*t out of each other in the game, then shake hands and be friendly at the end. As soon as you step over the white line you give 100%, no mercy. It annoys me when people tackle me and apologise, your not meant to. Rugby needs more coverage in the US, if I get rich i'm gonna build a proper league for it ;] Everywhere else seems to love it. Its complicated, but once you get the rules down then its quality.

It comes with so much heritage also; YouTube 'All Blacks Haka' and watch one of the videos; the New Zealand rugby team do a wardance at the start of every game that tells a Maori story. Would scare the sh*t out of me!