Intelligent rants or something on your mind?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 16 Feb 2006, 18:14

It depends on what your definition of freedom is. To you, it could mean the right to vote. To me, it means the right to chill and drink a 40 in public without getting a citation. There's other stuff that I consider freedom too but I'd rather not get into detail. :)

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 16 Feb 2006, 19:23

Expert is right, you would need to decided what 'freedom' actually is. It is becoming increasingly difficult and complicated for people to immigrate into the US. There is increasing suspicion in America regarding the Middle East and it's people, even within the US itself (look carefully next time you are in an American airport).

But it is still a democracy (Bush's election in 2001 the exception). It is still a relatively equal society. It is still 'the land of oppurtunity' in terms of finance. I cannot back this up totally as I have never live in America, but I have been there often enough to exprience it.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Post by Mr.SoccerMojo » 16 Feb 2006, 20:15

But it is still a democracy (Bush's election in 2001 the exception).
I'm so sick and tired of hearing this EVERY ELECTION IS FIXED there is always voter fraude everyone does it and if they say that they don't it's a lie it's just because people and the media don't like Bush that so everyone makes it seem like he was the frist and only one to every do this.
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 16 Feb 2006, 20:54

Mr.SoccerMojo wrote:
But it is still a democracy (Bush's election in 2001 the exception).
I'm so sick and tired of hearing this EVERY ELECTION IS FIXED there is always voter fraude everyone does it and if they say that they don't it's a lie it's just because people and the media don't like Bush that so everyone makes it seem like he was the frist and only one to every do this.
well, bush didn't actually win the popular vote. he only won the electoral votes, which are the ones that count. i think he was actually the first to do this though. if not the first, one of the first.

and about america, i don't think we're really very free at all. everyone's so focused on accepting everything, we've lost the ability to openly oppose something. you can't have a negative opinion about anything anymore without someone vilifying you for it. everything's become so complex that we've lost focus of what real freedom is. to me, freedom is being able to think what you want, say what you want, and do what you want (within reason). you can't even say something bad about another person anymore without being labeled a racist, sexist, or homophobic. unless it's the president. i don't see how he won the election, i haven't heard really anything good about him for almost 5 years. i mean i'm not against him or anything, but it seems like so few people actually support him that he shouldn't have been able to win the elections in the first place. but i'm going off on a tangent i guess
Hala Galacticos

J
Admin

Post by J » 16 Feb 2006, 21:06

cfrealmadrid wrote:and about america, i don't think we're really very free at all. everyone's so focused on accepting everything, we've lost the ability to openly oppose something. you can't have a negative opinion about anything anymore without someone vilifying you for it. everything's become so complex that we've lost focus of what real freedom is. to me, freedom is being able to think what you want, say what you want, and do what you want (within reason).
I couldnt agree more. This is pretty much what i was going to say after i heard some more peoples opinons. i am very suprised to hear someone say this. smart smart kid this "Cfrealmadrid" is.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 16 Feb 2006, 21:11

thanks j. i just like to stay well informed :D
Hala Galacticos

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Post by Mr.SoccerMojo » 17 Feb 2006, 04:39

Yes I have heard some very good replys about how messed up our country is and how much it needs to change. But I don't think it will any time soon you know why ?

We have lost the greats like MLK and people who stand up for what is right and say something about it because the seconed you say something that should be said you get shut down.

I'm getting so sick of hearing people bitch about how they hate how this is and so on and so on and never do anything about it so one day I got tired of it and at school I stood up and I let myself be heard (and that got me 4 weeks of det.) I was told to shut up by my teacher and they had to call the police I say that if we want to change the world it needs to be done w/the youth because we see how it really needs to be not w/our pockets but w/our hearts and minds.
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

J
Admin

Post by J » 17 Feb 2006, 06:44

Mr.SoccerMojo wrote: I'm getting so sick of hearing people bitch about how they hate how this is and so on and so on and never do anything about it so one day I got tired of it and at school I stood up and I let myself be heard (and that got me 4 weeks of det.) I was told to shut up by my teacher and they had to call the police I say that if we want to change the world it needs to be done w/the youth because we see how it really needs to be not w/our pockets but w/our hearts and minds.
Dude, this world was lost a long time ago, its definetely way too late now. the earth just needs to start fresh again. Thats why i would say, do what you gotta do to make yourself happy and survive, and keep those in you're thoughts and heart who dont have it made like we do.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 17 Feb 2006, 19:44

yeah, there's really nothing anyone can do to completely erase corruption, or even really reduce it much. there's always going to be problems with people that stem from their own greed, and no one will ever change that. pretty much ditto on what j said. do the best you can with what you have, cause it's a lot more than most people will ever know.
Hala Galacticos

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

Post by ROIUSA » 28 Feb 2006, 01:56

just a thought, that the loyalist jack asses who came to dublin the other day deserved whatever they got from the protestors. you dont send a "love ulster" parade through Dublin. the only reason they went down there was to start trouble. also however, many of the rioters werent there for republicanism and irish pride, but just 2 start trouble. so theyre no better.
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 28 Feb 2006, 02:00

sorry, could you fill me in on what happened? i heard something happened in dublin, but i'm not sure what exactly went on.
Hala Galacticos

White_Eagles13

Post by White_Eagles13 » 28 Feb 2006, 11:06

omfg lol. ive been trying to just read the last post in here and catch up, but its damn near impossible. theres so many fukn quotes and stuff :evil: not that thats a bad thing. 25 words or less can someone plz tell me whats rouglhy being discussed in here? :wink:
Australia - GO THE SOCCEROOS WORLD CUP!
(first time in 32 years and still we have no chance...)

dont give us sh!t, soccer and football are the same thing

Kew

Post by Kew » 28 Feb 2006, 12:41

ill add my $0.2

This world is pretty screwed up. but who can we blame? we can point fingers to the politicians, or to the media, or even point it to paris hilton. Maybe we can even point our finger to God, or Ala, or the buddha. We focus our energy and attention in debating about what's screwed up, we also critise people for making a mistake. We see the world as a no hope piece of lard waiting to be eaten up by aliens.

The world to me, however, is a beautiful place. We have people of different coloured skin, we have people with different talent.s We have people who likes football, and we have those that likes a game that tries to be football. We have people speaking different languages, we have people eating different style of foods. We have mountains, forests, rivers, seas and oceans. we have deserts, oases, animals that run free and birds that fly sky high. We have culture, we have history. We have science, we have arts. We have religions, we have ideology. but above most, we have love.

I may not be able to change the world, but i can change how i see it. If the world is to become a better place, it starts with me. I will NOT bitch about george bush or how crap his international policies are, coz they don't bother me. I will NOT join a riot because they are discussing trade between countries. I will NOT accuse gays and homosexuals of being the rejects of society, although their ways is different to mine, i will accept them. I will NOT have sex with every single girl because she's hot, i will stay true to one person only. I will NOT disrespect my parents, because they gave birth to me and brought me up. I will NOT ruin my future because i think the world is stuffed up.

no, life is still worth living, if everyone can change their world, smile when they're walking down the street, laugh together, cry together, pick up the rubbish literering our streets, plant a tree in our backyard, or in the park, and add some love to our society, starting with ur neighbours, this world will become a better place.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 28 Feb 2006, 21:10

a better place to you maybe. i mean it's fine if you're optimistic, but i like to look at things differently. i'm pretty pessimistic by nature, and i don't usually look on the bright side. planting a tree to me is just a waste. it'll get chopped down or destroyed later anyway, and it doesn't help me accomplish anything at all. it's good that you can see it differently, i'm just saying that's how i see things.
Hala Galacticos

Horris
Sophomore Member

Post by Horris » 01 Mar 2006, 05:11

i agree with kew on this one, it is good idea to try and be optimistic.

i used to tell people that i was pessimistic and i soon realised that i was making myself a pessimist so i started telling myself i was positive and pretty soon i had a differnt perspective on things.

im from australia and there are huge issues here about racism because of the aborigines and the issues with stealing their land. and most people are willing to give the aboriginies their land back not all of it of course but any parts that are sacred.
"The pain won't last forever but the memories will"